Help: Porting a Bell cell number to VOIP for business

doctor

Not sure if anyone here would have an answer but it’s worth a shot! I have a cell phone line with Bell that I want to use for a business I am starting (I want that specific number because it’s really easy to remember) And I’m looking to switch it to a VOIP line to have features added to the line (hold music, personalized message, etc.).

Anyone have any such experience or has any tips, tricks and/or suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Shouldn't it be a pretty straightforward process? I used voip.ms for a while just to try it out, and it went well I didn't port my number over though. I just checked and they have a tool for checking the portability of your number, so maybe you could start with that. I can only assume other providers would have similar tools.

Ayyyyy it's my job.

You have to contact the future SIP provider, they will send you a form to fill. You have to fill it exactly as it is on your bill.
Like if it's written boulevard Cartier, do not write Boul. Cartier, it will be refused.

Then you will select a portability date and the sip provider will provide you most of the time with a temporary phone number so you can test your new SIP service before the portability. Then on the date and time of the portability, they transfer the number.

For a VOIP line, you can check voip.ms but if you want feature like personalised hold music, you will need some kind of phone system.

For a business, you can check Bell Total Connect or Telus Business Connect. They will take care of everything and you will have an app on your cell.
Rogers also offer a OneNumber feature. So it can ring on your pc and cell number at the same time.

Microsoft Teams with Calling Plan would also be a good idea if you plan to subscribe to MS365

P.m. if you have questions

Just wanted to add that in some case, technology might prevent you to port X number somewhere.

Like a fermont phone number can't be ported to SIP because the swtich is too old and that was not a feature back in 1984 and Bell doesn't want to invest in upgrading the switch.

But if it's a cell number, it should be fine.

Thank you so much for your help! After researching and asking around I found the company Intermedia and RingCentral. After speaking to their reps it seems pretty straightforward for the porting and the service itself.

They are both around $40 per month including a bunch of features such as hold music, interactive menu, transcriptions, voicemail, etc.

Any opinion/feedback about these 2 companies?

Thank you so much for your help! After researching and asking around I found the company Intermedia and RingCentral. After speaking to their reps it seems pretty straightforward for the porting and the service itself.

They are both around $40 per month including a bunch of features such as hold music, interactive menu, transcriptions, voicemail, etc.

Any opinion/feedback about these 2 companies?
Well Telus Business connect is based on Ringcentral in the backend. I never heard of Intermedia but it's not my market.They might be OK. Ringcentral is pretty solid.

Back