Alignment question (Crooked Steering Wheel)

lorida

bold is most important stuff...I think :dunno:

So I bought a 2006 STI at auction which had been accidented front right. Not too major, but there were some things done to fix it;

1) Steering wheel was removed to verify wiring
2) CV Boots were replaced (they were worn, not accident related)
3) Quarter panel, bumper, rad were changed.
4) Nothing in the suspension was changed to my knowledge

My mechanic told me to get an alignment and I would be set. Great.

I bring it to the place on Sources/Hymus who always do a good job. It's obvious that the guy is new at alignments, and it takes him a really long time. He turned the steering wheel all the way left, and all the way right a couple of times, it seemed like he was having trouble with something. After nearly two hours, he prints out my pre/post alignment report and it looks good (I think, wtf do I know). Toe on both sides was at 0. I can find the other number if it's relevant.

I asked him if tie rods etc. were okay, he said everything way tight.

30 seconds down the road, I realize my steering wheel is about 1 inch (if you would mark the top center of the steering wheel) to the left. I was really busy when I had it done, and didn't have time to go back.

So, all of that to ask, is it possible something is bent? Could the steering wheel have been installed crooked? The car drives straight, it's just the wheel that's off.

I have another appointment on Wednesday, but they said they will charge me because it's been so long. Can they correct this? I told them I'm not paying if the wheel doesn't sit perfectly straight afterwards....

Thanks for your input.

its possible for it to drive straight and yet the steering be off. tie-rods can be adjusted to compensate for steering wheel position. the steering may not have been put back on straight either, thats another possibility

Alright, but I believe having the steering wheel straight is a major part of an alignment. Shouldn't the guy have mentioned something? Especially if they could have corrected it with the tie rods...

If they can't correct it with the tie rods, I'll check the steering wheel, although I seem to remember it bolting into place...i.e. there's minimal play in it.

a good place will put the wheel straight and keep it there with a tool and adjust the rest after that.
the wheel will bolt in in about 30 different positions. its just a spline

It's most probly human error. I've done thousands of alignments and if you don't level the steering wheel and lock it TIGHT!!! during the calibration the wheel will be crooked. Or the tread of the tires are not tracking properly ,or you have a a camber issue.. If you go back and bitch, they shouldn't charge you.

Unless the guy missed something... It's a comeback.

Ryan

A little recap:

So it's obvious it was the shops fault, since another guy straightened it out in 30 minutes.

I did have to pay though. I told them just to adjust the steering wheel and align in the front if needed. The guy does a minor adjustment of the toe in the back (I don't even think he did anything, he went back there for 30 seconds), and fixes the steering wheel (it's still a bit off, but now in the other direction).

The service guy tells me my car was way off, and they will have to charge me for the alignment. I ask for the pre-alignment print out, which THEY FORGOT TO PRINT....what a coincidence! I calmly told him I refused to pay full price (was willing to pay half, since it had been a few thousand kilometers). He refused to give me back my keys. He said if I didn't want to pay, he would put it back on the lift and "fuck up my alignment"!

So, he cornered me, and I had to pay a second time. Fuck the money, it's the principle.

I don't think I can post names, but avoid the tire shop on the corner of Sources and Hymus. While I was there, I even heard them tell a lady she needed a new battery, then right after the mechanic said "but I just told you the battery test was good". Then the service guy winked and said something quietly.

PS, I'm on vacation, and have 15 days to get my steering wheel perfectly straight. I think I'll go back at least twice.

HORRIBLE!!!

This is why I remain a private mechanic. These stories are all to common. My last boss had me report a brake job estimate, for an old lady on a 91 lebaron, who needed only a brake service. He undermined my report, scratched out my writing and re-wrote her needing... Front and rear. pads,discs calipers,flex lines,fluid. I called him out, almost got in a physical fight, then got fired! This is when I decided to start my own honest freelance auto service.

True story Don't be fooled 95% of garages are capitalizing, gauging pricks.

You should totally name names and expose their shop!

P.S they do not have the right to withhold your keys tell them your going to call the cops if they do.

Ryan

Back