Major problem with my cable internet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munchy

Legacy Member
When I'm downloading, if I go too fast, which is not even fast in my books, my internet tends to turn it self off... I'd be downloading at like 100kb/s and then it's slowly drop to 0kb/s and the internet would stop working... Mind you I'm on Videotron High-Speed (Not EXTREME) so I know I have a download + upload limit and an upload cap, but why would this affect me getting kicked off the internet? This is VERY annoying in how I'm downloading something and I have to keep rebooting to get the damn internet to work! Then it crashes again and I the circle continues...

Anyone else have this problem and any solutions?

Thanks! :bigup:

I think Videotron has a limit on the numbers of p0rn vids you can download until you get kicked off the internet. You should check into that :D

p.s. seriously, did you try to reset/unplug your cable modem, plug it again ? Call technical support ?

jennawan said:
no.
my videotron HSI works 100%
and i don't download at 100 kb/s, more like 590-600 kb/s

I want what you're on :p

I only download at those speeds on very limited files...

No router.
No firewall.

Just a USB modem plugged into the cable jack and into my computer...

Munchy said:
When I'm downloading, if I go too fast, which is not even fast in my books, my internet tends to turn it self off... I'd be downloading at like 100kb/s and then it's slowly drop to 0kb/s and the internet would stop working... Mind you I'm on Videotron High-Speed (Not EXTREME) so I know I have a download + upload limit and an upload cap, but why would this affect me getting kicked off the internet? This is VERY annoying in how I'm downloading something and I have to keep rebooting to get the damn internet to work! Then it crashes again and I the circle continues...

Anyone else have this problem and any solutions?

Thanks! :bigup:

You have to reboot the modem or your computer? Do you have a router? Do you lose the cable connection on the modem or does the traffic just stop? Could be alot of things.

I just have to reboot the modem, but it's much quicker to reboot the whole computer itself...

No router.

I think the traffic just stops, cause the lights on the modem are still all on, and it "looks" like it's working but there's just no packet transfers going on...

Munchy said:
I just have to reboot the modem, but it's much quicker to reboot the whole computer itself...

No router.

I think the traffic just stops, cause the lights on the modem are still all on, and it "looks" like it's working but there's just no packet transfers going on...

Could be a bad modem or something on the videotron side. Id give them a call. Then go on vacation. When you get back in a week someone will pickup the phone and redirect you to the right department. Then you'll lose the line and have to call back. starting the vicious circle again :laugh:

I've got the same problem with AEI, yesterday I couldn't even download a 5mb video without my internet crashing. In winter or when there's bad weather, even when I'm just browsing it ****ing crashes! I would of switch ISP, but the price is nice and there's no up and down limit ... plus, I bought their modem two years ago. Anyone know if the limits are back with Bell or Videotron? If I switch to Bell, can I still use my modem (and not renting it from Bell) ?

You can use any modem on Videotron, renting a modem is just for idiots who know nothing about computers...

I also usually download at about 600kb/s. Make sure all your cables are tight and properly crimped, and maybe call up videotron and get them to perform a line test. You aren't using a splitter on your internet cable line are you?

No splitters...

If I do an online ping test or whatever, it says I have the capabilities of like 1.6mb/sec but of course it doesn't go that speed...

So I should call Videotron, ask about packet loss, performing a line test, what else?

Just describe your problem to them, sometimes you get lucky and get someone who knows what they're talking about over there. They'll do the line test, and if it passes they'll try to put the blame on your end. Whether it is or not, I dunno, but you can always make them go to your house and check it out.

I have the same problem but my modem doesn't shut off it's my pc who reboots itself when it goes too fast how can I fix this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back