Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Pennzoil

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • other, please specify

Votes: 26 28.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's cool, at least you get to try different brands all the time.

I plan to try something different this oil change and see if it reduces the valve train noise that came after switching to Mobil 1.

Now I think you are wrong there. For cold starts, REAL synthetic oils are far, far, far better. This is at the stating of your car that your engine wears the most. Also, friction resistance, oxydation resitance and full of other attributes are way better in a real synthetic oil (real synthetic are rare, castrol synthec for example is not a real synthetic.) You won't notice the difference right away, but after 100 000 km of hard driving and cold starting you will.

faux ...pk y a des char avant la syntetique on fais des million de km?? surement qu'il entretenais bien leur maintenance ...ca synthetic c juste une autre affaire pour faire du cash!!!!! mon ancien boss avais une integra ..ils a fais 550 000 km avant avant que je l'achete et jais fais un 100 000 km avec .,... le char a tomber en ruine avant le moteur ... mon oncle a fais 475 000 avec son corolla ... pis ils on juste utiliser de l'huile mineral ... ca pas rapoort la syntetic .... c juste une illusion que vous avez !!! anyway je change juste des tire chez wallmart !

All you people talking about this oil's the best, that oil's the best.... What are you basing your knowledge on other than "hype"?

Any of you actually had your oil analysed after a few thousand kms with different brands? Cause that's pretty much the only way I'd believe what you guys write here.

I'm sure 99.9% of the people on the board could use Motomaster 10w30 regular oil at 4$ a litre at Canadian tire and never know the difference.

I don't think motomaster 10w30 regular oil at 4$/l will do the job in my car, neither in the cars of many members I know. Can you explain your opinion ?

ELF Excellium LDX 5W40 all year round... So far so good an it's costing me less than Motul and meets the same stds & specs for VW, MB, BWM etc... *tu* :D

If any one is interested, Canton Auto Parts on Hymus in Kirkland has great prices on most of the Elf line of Oils...

good point.

All you people talking about this oil's the best, that oil's the best.... What are you basing your knowledge on other than "hype"?

Any of you actually had your oil analysed after a few thousand kms with different brands? Cause that's pretty much the only way I'd believe what you guys write here.

I'm sure 99.9% of the people on the board could use Motomaster 10w30 regular oil at 4$ a litre at Canadian tire and never know the difference.

I use 5w20 dino oil with a good filter, I change it every 3k, synthetic would be overkill for me :) *tu*

i find it funny that all you people talk so much about all these different oils and which is good which isnt yet you still all change your oil at 3000km

you dont need to change it that early anymore.

edit...

The 3000 Mile Myth
The 3000 mile oil change interval has been pounded into people's heads for decades. It had a scientific basis when engines used non-multi-weight, non-detergent oil. It no longer has any scientific basis, but it is still being promoted by certain entities, most notably the oil change industry in the United States. This myth is also sometimes known as the "Cheap Insurance Myth."

The 3000 Mile Fact
There are still vehicles that need 3K oil changes, but it's not because the oil goes bad after 3K miles. One example is the Saturn S series. These vehicles have a timing chain system that is very sensitive to clean oil because oil pressure is used as hydraulic fluid to ratchet up the timing chain tensioner. If varnish forms in the timing chain tensioner bore then this system can fail and the chain will become loose and eventually break. Dealers have gone as far as tearing out the normal service schedule (6000 miles) and leaving only the severe service schedule. If your engine is destroyed (under warranty) by a failed timing chain then the dealer will legitimately request evidence of oil changes. Unfortunately this problem usually won't manifest itself during the warranty period.

The Dark Oil Myth
Dark oil does not indicate the need for an oil change. The way modern detergent motor oil works is that minute particles of soot are suspended in the oil. These minute particles pose no danger to your engine, but they cause the oil to darken. A non-detergent oil would stay clearer than a detergent oil because all the soot would be left on the internal engine parts and would create sludge. If you never changed your oil, eventually the oil would no longer be able to suspend any more particles in the oil and sludge would form. Fortunately, by following the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval, you are changing your oil long before the oil has become saturated. Remember, a good oil should get dirty as it does it's work cleaning out the engine. The dispersant should stop all the gunk from depositing in the oil pan.

The only real way to determine whether oil is truly in need of changing is to have an oil analysis performed. Since most people don't want to bother with this, it's acceptable to err heavily on the safe side and simply follow the manufacturer's recommended change interval for severe service. There are still a few cars that specify 3K intervals for severe service, but not many. If you look at countries other than the U.S., the oil recommended change interval is much higher than even the normal interval specified by vehicle manufacturers in the U.S.

source: http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#The%203000%20Mile%20Myth

Mobil 1 10w30, i change it every 3000 kms

hahaha , come on .... tu pense tu vraiment que ton huile est du pour etre changé apres 3000 km ? a moin que t'aient un char de drag ....

juste dememe , té tu au courant que BMW font leur changement d'huile SOUS GARANTIE au 25 000 km ...... mais bon , si t'aime ca payer 3 fois plus cher pour le meme résultat !

pour ma part , castrol syntec 5-20 (j'ai un honda) changé au 15 000km .

et sur mon grand prix gt 2003 , de la pensoil ben chienne 5w30 ... le pire c'Est qu'il y as un ordinateur de board qui dit quand changé l'huile ... ben il me dit que c'Est le temp apres minimum 13 000km .... ben oui avec de l'huile normal !!!!!!!!

arrete donc de tout croire ce que les garage vous disent pour faire du $$$$ avec vous.

juste dememe , autre crosse. je regardais dans mon manuel honda pour quand était du la timing belt... cé drole , c'Est écrit 100 000 MILLES ... mais au canada ca d'lair qui faut la faire a 100 000 KM .... WOW !!!! MERCI HONDA CANADA DE ME FOURÉ !
tk . sont pas la pantoute pour faire des gros dollard sur notre dos !!!

aller on lache pas , on se penche et on prend un grand respire !

I Use amsoil... 100% best synthetic you could purchase... also i believe the most expensive...

i change my oil every 10-12,000 miles... not kilometers... but miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back