Tough Decision: Surgery Side Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sriracha

The situation is that I have a cross-bite. I'd like to fix it so I can have a nice smile. I'd like to do it while I'm young, I'm 20, I know it's a little late, but it's a problem that has only occured the past couple years.

I went for a consultation, and the orthodontist said I needed jaw surgery. I consulted with a surgeon, and he gave me all the procedures and everything.

Here's the thing:
They need to re-align the jaw, so they have to cut it. If the facial nerve is pinched against the lower jaw, one side of the face will be paralyzed. PERMANENTLY!

So I asked the doc what percentage of patients does this happen to? He said 10 to 15%.
He said that some people have learned to live with it, it all depends on the type of person you are. (Personally, I'd freak out!)

If anyone is well informed, is this a high percentage? Should I be worried?

quoi tu veu dire par cross bite??

tes dent en bas sont en arriere de celles en haut la bouche fermer?

10 to 15% that this happens:
With lower jaw surgery, The lower lip, teeth, and gums may have no feeling or feel numb (tingling,pain). This may be temporary and last up to a year or more, but may also be permanent.

My question is if it's a high side effect percentage.

wow... honesltly Hadi 10-15% is a VERY ****ING HIGH fail rate if you ask me... dont!

though, you can probably shop around for the best possible surgen with the lowest % of fails...

but think about it... 10%... 1 out of 10 people go out more ****ed up than before!

get some

grillz_detail.jpg

Invest that money in a psychiatrist to learn to accept yourself as you really are. Much less risk in that.

This risk is only worth it if you are really misshapen and have a hard time to go through life, not just to "have a nice smile".

You do not want to end up looking like Jean Chrétien, do you? That his problem, you know... half his face is paralysed.

personellement j'ai la meme chose mais pas extreme et avec ce taux d'echec possible j'toucherais pas a sa

Cause he said chances are it will get worse than this. Right now I can live with it, it's not very noticeable. But it will and can get worse.

ahahahahahhahHAHAHAHAHAHhA! DO IT! So I can punch you in the face over and over and you won't feel anything.....

LOL u reminded me of a hooligan friend i had in high school that the type of shit he would say in this scenario

i doubt it can get get worse if it does then do it if not live with it 10-15 % is too much of a high number for me

I had the same risk presented when i was having my wisdom teeth removed, they had turned out their side and were pushing up against the nerve. I went through with having them removed and came out ok. i did have alittle numbness in my lower jaw for afew weeks after but once the swelling went down it came back

i lost sensation on left side of my tongue mouth in the back, it slowly comes back, but def not worth it

une bouche classe 3 is the ugly lol

c'est pas la fin du monde que tu sois crossbite.. t'as les dents droites? ca reste ben correct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back