becoming a cop in Quebec...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellraiser56

im finishing cegep in a few weeks and i still have no clue what i want to do with my life.
becoming a cop was always a childhood dream but i never really looked into it, however at this point im starting to consider it

BUT, after having searched a bit im seeing that all the shools that offer 'techniques policieres' are french. now since ive been to school in english my entire life, my communication skills are much better in english (orally and written) . i have good french communication but not so great in writing :s so i was wondering how hard taking courses in french is.

do i have to be really good in french to even hope for a chance of succeeding?

in addition to this, if ive taken 4 semesters of social science - commerce, can any of the courses ive taken replace some that id do in french? cause some of them seem pretty similar. Or am i screwed and have to start everything from scratch??

thx for any useful input

pour entrer à abbots tu dois passer des test physiques, des test medical (depistage de drug) et avoir aucun problème de vision qui n'est pas oppérable au lazer, tout ca en plus de moyennement bonne notes

Or ask KrankHead (I think) if you don't mind becoming one in Ontario! There was a thread about that not too long ago...

John Abbott offers all in english, except for the occasional french class.
Also its hard to get in abbott, must be a average of 80% plus you have to pass the physical test, running, swimming, all the push ups, pull ups, crunches ect.

One branch of policing that is often forgotten is the MP(Military Police), they have more powers than you think !

20 ans, tu es encore un peu jeune pour devenir gendarme. Tu peux appliquer et si tu es un candidat exceptionnel, la GRC va te retenir pour l'entrevue. Tu peux aller sur leur site web et assister à la séance d'information, c'est la première étape du processus de recrutement. En attendant, je te recommander de passer ton cours de sécurité sur le maniement des armes courtes et armes longue. Ensuite, d'obtenir ton permis de possession et acquisition d'arme à feux. Je te recommande fortement de travailler en tant que garde de sécurité car c'est un excellent atout pour eux.

Pour être sur de ne pas te faire perdre ton temps, si tu te rend à l'entrevue, tu vas passer le polygraphe (lie detector) alors si tu as consommé de la drogue dernièrement ou si tu as qqchose à te reprocher, ils vont la savoir et c'est pas très bon.

Si tu deviens gendarme, c'est certain que tu ne retourneras jamais au Québec avant 15 ans.

20 ans, tu es encore un peu jeune pour devenir gendarme. Tu peux appliquer et si tu es un candidat exceptionnel, la GRC va te retenir pour l'entrevue. Tu peux aller sur leur site web et assister à la séance d'information, c'est la première étape du processus de recrutement. En attendant, je te recommander de passer ton cours de sécurité sur le maniement des armes courtes et armes longue. Ensuite, d'obtenir ton permis de possession et acquisition d'arme à feux. Je te recommande fortement de travailler en tant que garde de sécurité car c'est un excellent atout pour eux.

Pour être sur de ne pas te faire perdre ton temps, si tu te rend à l'entrevue, tu vas passer le polygraphe (lie detector) alors si tu as consommé de la drogue dernièrement ou si tu as qqchose à te reprocher, ils vont la savoir et c'est pas très bon.

Si tu deviens gendarme, c'est certain que tu ne retourneras jamais au Québec avant 15 ans.
parfait... merci pour l'info *tu* mais le fait de partir pendant 15 ans me dérange pas mal

if that's really what you want to do im sure you could succeed even if you have to take a few classes in french... dont you think?

I have yet run into a natual speaking english person as a police officer in Quebec. I don't think they like english folk. Whenever I get pulled over I just try hard to speak french, completely destroy the language, and then they *might* switch to english.

RCMP, OPP... go try Ottawa maybe.

looking at your options go for abbott ( they have dorms if its too far ) if your willing to give up at the fact that you live in boucherville and abbott is in the west island forget it you dont feel strong enough about it to decide yet ! if its really what you want youll do what you have to.

forget the rcmp ( my opinion ) your 20 way too young. your chance of getting hired are SLIM, i tried the info session when i was 18 left there thinking man before they even look at my application i could have a bunch of better oppurtunities, and i did.

military police is an option that would probably be easy a lot of people choose that

OPP and Toronto police could be an option but once gain they want people that are more or less settled and know exactly what they want ( i dont know you so you could be settled n aware of what you want)

in all if you want to be a police officer in qc your looking at 3 yrs ( or 2 if your lucky ) and 4 months at NIcolet

ps for doing your techninque in a french collge im pretty sure you would have to pass a minimum french exam ( similar to the english exit exam but in french :cry:)

also keep in mind if ever you become a cop in quebec everything IS IN french and you write a lot.

for 5 min of action youve got at least 1 hrs of paper work :run:

its a great job but like every job its got its less interesting parts, the paper work, standing in the cold on a corner in mid january ( will happen sooner or later hehehe ), people who expect respect but decide they can treat you like shit, liars ( realized how niave and gullible i was to a certain extent)

if you want it, go for it just. but make sure you REALLY WANT IT !

anyways this is what i think :bigup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back