Buying a car from an individual in the US and drive it into Quebec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked, but didnt have onnnnnnnnnneee. I'll probably buy one at a souvenir store before I cross the border.

Seriously though, a hillbilly wouldnt be able to afford this car.

unless its a V6 or a the basic Trans am high mileage V8.

I wanted this car for the joy of the t-tops, the abundance of parts, the sheer torque and power and cheapness of parts because of it being a GM.

Handling is maybe not its strong point but a good set of KONIs, with some Eibach springs and big ass sway bar and I'm set for some spirited driving.

I looked at sooooooooo many cars and options and I havent found one that satisfied my wants.

I want a 2+2 or 4 seater because of the amount of times I need one.
I wanted a car thats not at every street corner.
I wanted something that looks good.
I wanted power and RWD/AWD.

I looked at the 350z, g35, evo, wrx, s2000, 300zx, MR2, rx7, rx8 and the list goes on.

Nothing satisfied me more than this.

350z, S2000, MR2, rx7: all 2 seaters. I cant explain the amount of times I have to drop my sister off somewhere with my girlfriend in the car as well, or leave somewhere and I have my buddies in the back, so I need a car with more than 2 seats for the moment being because I dont want to be stuck driving my parents Malibu in summer.

evo: I want the MR. anything less I wouldnt feel happy. not in my price range.

WRX: its not me. If anything it would be the STI, not in my price range.

300zx tt: would be cool, and I cant say how much I've love these cars, but I want to step away from an import that needs a good maintenance history or its going to be a problem.
Plus there is no area in the engine bay to work with.

RX8: It will guzzle as much gaz as the V8 and be slower and is picky. (exception for rx7 because I think its worth the hassle because of how sexy it looks)

G35: out of my price range for a decent one.

Audi, Lexus, Beemer, etc.... not my thing yet unfortunately... I'll be looking into those I guess in a few years when my taste buds have changed or when the s5 coupe is affordable :p

And the closest thing would be an a4 which is totally powerless or a 3 series beemer which I just dont want.

j'ai fais la meme chose pour mon s14 acheter chez un dealer ... la seul difference c'est que j'avais une plaque temporaire du dealer pour rouler l'auto !!!!

Lorsqu'on achete une auto d'un dealer c'est beaucoup plus facile. Il faut simplement demander au vendeur un transit-plaque temporaire-sticker ou qqchose de l'Etat qui est regle generale valide pour 7-10 jours.

Quand je suis alle acheter mon auto en Novembre 2007 le dealer m'a pose une plaque temporaire. J'ai profite de cette plaque temporaire pour non seulement me rendre au Canada mais meme une fois rendu a Montreal j'ai roule avec pendant des mois sans problemes meme si la date d'expiration de la plaque etait passee...

Voila la plaque qu'on m'a posee le jour ou j'ai quitte la Virginie pour repartir vers Montreal:

licenseplateboxsters.jpg

Je me suis fait arrete juste 1 fois et c'etait 3 mois apres que ma plaque temporaire etait expiree, en plus que TOUT etait efface sur la plaque et elle etait devenue completement illisible.

J'ai simplement montre au policier que j'etais en plein processus d'importation et que je devais faire inspecter ma voiture avant de pouvoir la plaquer...lol....

A y penser j'aurai bien merite une contravention, mais bon....

Mon point est que si vous roulez 1-2 semaines avec une plaque temporaire du dealer americain ou la plaque de l'ancien proprietaire americain IL NE VA RIEN SE PASSER DE GRAVE et vous n'irez pas en prison:p

Juste conservez tous vos documents d'importation dans votre auto en tout temps, surtout la preuve que vous aviez exporte la voiture des USA et importe-paye les taxes a la frontiere canadienne.

BTW do you ever miss the NSX?

I only had it for 3 days. Returned it to the dealer because there was a suspension problem and I didn't want to buy a car with problems.

And YES I do miss it. But it really, really lacks low end power in 1st gear for a car with such a high price on the used market.

It picks up beautifully in gears 2-3-4 on the highway but off the line acceleration is very average...My old 250HP Boxster S pulls harder in 1st-2nd gear. But then the NSX takes over on top end.

What I miss is the look of the NSX, the driving position, the shifter, the sound, the ''racy'' throttle response. You feel like you're in a race car all the time, even when you just look at it:p

But in terms of techical driving attribute, ze Germans do it better these days when it comes to 2 seater pleasure mobiles.

I looked at sooooooooo many cars and options and I havent found one that satisfied my wants.

I want a 2+2 or 4 seater because of the amount of times I need one.
I wanted a car thats not at every street corner.
I wanted something that looks good.
I wanted power and RWD/AWD.

I looked at the 350z, g35, evo, wrx, s2000, 300zx, MR2, rx7, rx8 and the list goes on.

Nothing satisfied me more than this.

350z, S2000, MR2, rx7: all 2 seaters. I cant explain the amount of times I have to drop my sister off somewhere with my girlfriend in the car as well, or leave somewhere and I have my buddies in the back, so I need a car with more than 2 seats for the moment being because I dont want to be stuck driving my parents Malibu in summer.

evo: I want the MR. anything less I wouldnt feel happy. not in my price range.

WRX: its not me. If anything it would be the STI, not in my price range.

300zx tt: would be cool, and I cant say how much I've love these cars, but I want to step away from an import that needs a good maintenance history or its going to be a problem.
Plus there is no area in the engine bay to work with.

RX8: It will guzzle as much gaz as the V8 and be slower and is picky. (exception for rx7 because I think its worth the hassle because of how sexy it looks)

G35: out of my price range for a decent one.

Audi, Lexus, Beemer, etc.... not my thing yet unfortunately... I'll be looking into those I guess in a few years when my taste buds have changed or when the s5 coupe is affordable :p

And the closest thing would be an a4 which is totally powerless or a 3 series beemer which I just dont want.

Sorry but you're going to have to compromise, especially if your budget is 12K USD.

Hell even with a 40KUSD budget you will not find a 4 seater car that is as nimble-fun to drive as an S2000-RX-7-MR-2.

If you absolutely cannot live without backseats then your choices are:

-E36 M3 sedan. There was a very nice one with 138 000kms selling for 8500$ tax incl here on Montreal Racing. That would have been perfect price wise for you and you would have money left over for eventual maintenance-repairs.

-Mazda RX-8. You can pick one up here in Quebec for the same price as USA imported, even cheaper.

G35 Coupe and regular 3 series BMW E36 are not as fun as RX-8 and E36 M3.

For under 15K I really cannot think of more fun to drive cars than these 2.

You just have to see if you prefer steering response-shifter feel-handling or sensation of torque-acceleration-fuel economy.

see the one thing I dont understand is how people assume that the ws6 will not be fun car to drive?

330whp and some 370 of torque.

Than all you need is a decent drop, stiff springs, KONI suspension, and big sway bars and this car will carve curves as well.

We can both agree that it will never be as good as a 2 seater but more than enough to have fun with.

And then again, something that most people forget, is the fact the tires are around 315 wide in the rear once you change the mags, which will be able to cope with any stress when taking curves with a good set of slicks.

Yes the RX8 and two seater will overcome it in curves, but I dont feel like it will be by a lot once the suspension is upgraded?

no?

But i definitely appreciate your input, you obviously have more experience when it comes to this. The only cars Ive driven are a Prelude, Malibus, friends 2003 eclipse GTS, and a couple of diesel volks.

But yes I would need 4 seats.

I would really despise being in a position to go out and be stuck saying to my sister/gf/mother/close friend/father that I only have to 2 spaces in the car so I wont be able to bring someone back home, or pick them up, or take one car instead of 2 because i just dont have space for a 3rd person.

When your social circle is greater, i find having a 2 seater harder to live with for the moment being.

Once I move out, finish university, etc, I will definitely look forward to getting a Z4 coupe say or anything else when the time comes as I will most probably have another car for every other occasion.

But right now, I dont want to wake up in the morning on a beautiful summer day and have to be stuck driving a Malibu and having a 2 seater summer car that I spent 12k on stuck in the garage because I have to go to somewhere with my gf and another friend/sister.

Last edited:
quand tu achetes d'un particulier, tu peux regarder sur le site du DMV de l'état en question pour les plaques temporaires.

pour le connecticut (d'après ce que tu dis dans ton premier post?), voila ce que j'ai trouvé

DMV: Requirements for Obtaining a Temporary Registration for Inspection Purposes

ca m'a l'air qu'un non-résident ne peux pas prendre une immatriculation temporaire au Connecticut, ou qu'il n'y a pas d'option d'avoir un temporaire pour exporter l'auto

par contre, a titre d'info, il y a d'autres états ou c'est super simple avoir un temporaire. suffit de payer x$ et bam, t'es en business

mais meme une fois rendu a Montreal j'ai roule avec pendant des mois sans problemes meme si la date d'expiration de la plaque etait passee...

Hmmm, Jacques, il me semble que tu as joué avec le feu. Sans plaque du Quebec, tu ne profitais pas de l'assurance de la SAAQ qui couvre les dommages corporels pour toi et autrui. Tes assurances de voiture couvrent la tôle mais pas les blessures. Je déconseille à tout le monde de rouler plus longtemps qu'il n'est absolument nécessaire sans plaque du Quebec une fois la voiture arrivée au Canada. Est-ce que je suis dans le champ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back