Finally got myself a toy (e36 inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

android25ua

So I finally got myself a long-desired "LEGO" to play with. Been looking for one for quite a bit of time (maybe since about January) I was initially looking for RWD and an easy accessible engine, i.e. in-line something. I don't like inline-4cyls so that left me with things like mercedes and bmw. At the beginning of the year I fell in love with bimmers and creamed myself when I drove an e46. Further on I decided to keep my leggy for the winter and therefore stopped on more aged bimmers. Day and night I was looking for an e34 with an m30 motor and a stick shift, but those bitches are fairly rare to come across. I even went to drive an m50 (525i). "OBD2, Why not?" I thought to myself. The car turned out to be a complete lump of junk so I remained in the state of research. Then my friend came across an e36 in the "under 3000$" section. I didn't see it because I was mostly going to lespac and kijiji along with BMW a vendre only. I decided to try it out and well here it is:

It is a 1996 BMW 328i, 183 000 kilometers on the entirely stock m52b28 motor (1996 is the first year when the b28 went into production). It is painted Boston Green. The picture was taken by the previous owner, I haven't taken any yet:

img0102ec3.jpg

So far it needs:

- quite a lot of body work
- some work with the rubber around the windows
- new clutch throw-out bearing ( I think )
- a new windshield
- read diff bushing
- and some maintenance like all fluids flushed and filters changed.

The interior is in a decent shape, and the engine pulls like a pinched horse. The clutch seems to be running strong and the tranny is not bad either.
Will post updates of the work-in-progress! :)

Thanks for the comments :)
yeah I hope so too about the rear subframe but what needs to be done, will be done :)

good luck, i hope you will be doing all the work yourself unless you have deep pockets

Yep that's really what I bought it for to be honest. I couldn't wait to get my hands on something. I couldn't really work on the leggy because I need it to drve to work every day and to school every day in the winter. Also because of the H motor. If you want to upgrade you start by pulling it out of the engine bay lol.

Right now im trying to decide on paint and posted a question about it on 2 forums whether I should repaint the same color or something else. Getting different opinions. If it stays green it will be a good looking green I'll make sure to select carefully.

Dealer ou pas... c'est un money pit. J'adore les e36 ( j'en ai une...) mais mon porte feuille a de la misère à suivre. Et quand je l'ai achetée en automne dernier, il n'y avait rien à faire dessus ( ou presque) alors avec ce que tu as nommé à faire sur la tienne, j'espère que tu as un peu d'argent de côté! Mais comme je te dis, j'aime les e36 alors félicitations *tu*

^depends from which side you're looking at it :)
you are right if I'd go straight to the dealers...

just the body itself will cost u an arm and leg unless you are really planning to do cutting, welding, painting yourself.

anyways, as for the color, i'd say stay with the original color. it might look ghey now since it's not in good shape, but once it's painted freshly plus some tasteful mods, im sure it'll look unique and good with that green.

Like others said, it's a money pit but at the end of the day, you're driving a BMW, so if it's in good condition, not a lot of cars make for a more balanced, stylish and exciting daily driver!

Bonne chance dans tes projets!

For the money I bough it, and for the money they go for with 250000km+ on lespac and kijiji I think I still have about 3-4 grand to spend on it before i get to its actual value :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back