Best way to travel to New-york city

Status
Not open for further replies.

[ShInGo]

Legacy Member
I want to go on a 4 day trip to new-york city with my girlfriend

What is the best method of transportation to go there?

What's the cheapest way?

Do you recommand using an hotel on the island?

The drive isn't too bad and it a cheap way but I find the best way to go is to fly into LaGuardia. The cab ride from there to Manhattan is very fast but sometimes flights into Newark are a bit cheaper. Driving takes a lot of time out of the trip and hotels charge a large parking fee per day. Plus, you wont want your car to get around in New York.

Stay in Manhattan. It not worth it to stay elsewhere and for the cost of travel into the city and time, its worth it to pay a bit more to stay in the city. Plus, you can find deals all the time on hotels. There are a lot of websites to check out but i have found some good deals on Expedia for my flights plus hotels there.

Cheapest way is the bus but it takes about 10 hours.
Longest way is the train, take 14-17 hours (it stops in every damn obscure town on the way to New York).
Driving and flying is almost the same if you don't hit congestion. It's about 6 hours to drive. The flight is short however if you take into account the time lost at the aiport (it's 3 hours in advance to check in now) it's not that much faster to take the plane these days...

Taking your car isn't cheap though, figure 120$ in gas and 200-300$ of parking if you stay in manhattan.

I took a bus to NY last year. Was nice not driving, and not having to run around an airport, but it's long and the buses aren't always top notch - and for some reason took around 1.5hrs in customs to pass everyone in the bus. (im not sure if I would ever bus it again)

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza in times square - there's no other way to stay in NYC, taking a bus back to the hotel sux balls. in a day you can walk from times square down to the financial district, back up - pop in the hotel and then up to central park.

Moi j ai fait affaire avec beltour,c etait super !
Pi tu couche au new-jersey,comme premiere fois c est parfait.

I went in bus in 2003 I think, it was quick enough, no issue.
Last summer my sister did it with my firefly 1.0 (instead of dad's camry) to save on gas, she didn't die... and maybe 6.5l/100 at 110kmh, under 5 if you go slow.

Stay in the city thats all i really recommend. If your driving get ready to pay 25$USD a day for parking.

most efficient and quickest way i have done it is going through Vermont

Drive to Vermont airport and fly in to new york. Total time door to door is around 5 hours on the rough from my door in montreal to door on 63rd and 3rd. Flights are around 130-160$ round trip and the drive is nice and easy.

It also stops la LA guardia which is a MUCH closer cab (and less traffic) ride than JFK.

Dont cheap out on the hotel btw. Rent an appartement instead if u can there are some prime units down there just have to know which areas to be in!

Hope this helps but i have done the train. rideshare, driving alone, plane from mtl and really best way is through VT.

^^ X2 c'est vraiment la meilleure option après évidemment prendre l'avion de Montreal-Trudeau.

Chose sûre, avec juste 4 jours, l'avion est de mise...

^^ X2 c'est vraiment la meilleure option après évidemment prendre l'avion de Montreal-Trudeau.

Chose sûre, avec juste 4 jours, l'avion est de mise...

Depends on how much time you waste at each. You could waste a lot of time at the border and all of a sudden flying out of vermont didn't save that much time.

I work my flights around quiet border times. If i go to NYC its generally because i need to be there in the morning for something so take the 7 am flight out and leave mtl around 4:30 am. No boarder to worry about

i second the vermont option, its the best way to go ANYWHERE in the states

just plan early to deal with customs, or apply for a nexus if you travel often

most efficient and quickest way i have done it is going through Vermont

Drive to Vermont airport and fly in to new york. Total time door to door is around 5 hours on the rough from my door in montreal to door on 63rd and 3rd. Flights are around 130-160$ round trip and the drive is nice and easy.

It also stops la LA guardia which is a MUCH closer cab (and less traffic) ride than JFK.

Dont cheap out on the hotel btw. Rent an appartement instead if u can there are some prime units down there just have to know which areas to be in!

Hope this helps but i have done the train. rideshare, driving alone, plane from mtl and really best way is through VT.

holy shit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back