f1 turbo 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifter Steve

Legacy Member
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/15389.html

Formula One teams are close to agreeing upon a new engine formula for the six-year period beginning in 2013.

Until then, development of the current 2.4 litre V8s will remain 'frozen', to be replaced thereafter by similarly powerful engines that use less fuel, emit less pollution and are affordable for the small teams.

Spain's El Mundo Deportivo newspaper said an in-principle agreement has been reached for a four cylinder, 1.5 litre engine equipped with a twin-turbo and direct injection. The new formula would reportedly also involve KERS.

"If F1 has to develop something helpful for real (road) driving conditions, then the best solution is for an engine that is turbocharged and GDI (gasoline direct injection)," Ferrari CEO Amedeo Felisa said. "That is what we would support. It is the best solution for driving efficiency and utilisation of the engine in a positive way."

Mercedes' Norbert Haug agrees that smaller engines are likely for reasons of consumption and emissions, but warns that high technology needs to remain a crucial focus. "If you fly from Europe to Japan on a 747, you would use more fuel than an entire F1 season," he said. "We need to see the whole picture."

so, 1.5L 4cyl making ~750hp, im looking forward to it!!

tellement vrai:

Mercedes' Norbert Haug agrees that smaller engines are likely for reasons of consumption and emissions, but warns that high technology needs to remain a crucial focus. "If you fly from Europe to Japan on a 747, you would use more fuel than an entire F1 season," he said. "We need to see the whole picture."

i wasnt fortunate enough to really see the Turbo era... I am looking forward to this... would be cool to see other manufacturers come into F1

sometimes more, there wasnt a dyno in the world capable of measuring the output of some of the engines.

they were 1.5L V6 TT, in qualifying they would run without wastegates, unlimited boost. they called the engines grenades because they would only last a lap or two.

sometimes more, there wasnt a dyno in the world capable of measuring the output of some of the engines.

they were 1.5L V6 TT, in qualifying they would run without wastegates, unlimited boost. they called the engines grenades because they would only last a lap or two.

The fuel they used was very unstable at room temperature. They had to keep them in sealed containers otherwise the fuel would just evaporate. The vapours were also so toxic that they needed masks to manipulate these fuels.

The most powerful F1 engine run in a Formula 1 car was the 1.5l 4 cylinder BMW W4 engine in the B186 Benetton F1 car, (if I remember correctly) it made ''around''1500hp in qualifying trim. At 5 bar of boost pressure. (72.5 psi) In the races they would run slightly less boost at around 4 bar. (58psi)

You can see the turbo is huge compared to the size of the engine !
They revved 12000 rpm, so turbo lag and narrow powerbands were not that much of a problem.

benx86pe.jpg

bmw_F1.jpg

You can see the turbo is huge compared to the size of the engine !
They revved 12000 rpm, so turbo lag and narrow powerbands were not that much of a problem.
i remember reading the exact opposite,

i found a quote but cannot open the original pdf, i believe this is in referring to the honda v6

"The engine went from 450 hp to 800 hp in 1000 rpm"

we will never get 1000hp engines like before, you guys are dreaming.. I wish they would bring the v10 back, N/A ftw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back