MK5 GTI for lapping

alx21

Legacy Member
I've been thinking aboiut starting lapping for a few years but i never had a proper car to do it!

Right now i'm looking to buy a MK5 GTI as a daily driver and I was thinking it could be a good car to get into lapping, what do you think about it?

Basically it would be my daily driver so I would probably only invest in tires, suspension and good brakes for this season
I would like to concentrate mostly on the handling first and develloping my driving skills

Yes, certainly not a bad car to start. Just keep it stock, with better brake fluid and perhaps brake pads will do. Make sure everything on it is tight and in good shape and brake pads, if stock, have a lot of meat left. Invest in track time for yourself and get lots of instruction at the various events around; you've got choice.

Welcome to the fold!

It's a very fun car to drive as a daily and with the right mods it can be very fun on the track. I would know, I have one ;).

I think you are on the right track for your first mods. Most important would be your brakes. The GTI is a heavy heavy car, so you'll want at least some HP+ pads, SS brake lines and good fluid (RBF 600). With that combination, you should never run out of brakes. At least until you start doing power mods.

Next I would do coil-overs and rear sway bar. You can hold off on the tires for a while. The stock tires will be fine to learn on and they won't hide your mistakes like R comps can. Only invest in tires once your stock ones are shot.

I would also suggest that you remove everything in the trunk (spare tire) and your rear seats when you go lapping for a full day. All that stuff ads up to over 110lbs and it makes a big difference in performance on the GTI. Plus it only takes about 15 minutes to do so it's kind of a no brainer.

See you at the track!

Nothing wrong with lapping a MKV GTI, its got torque and brakes and a pretty stiff chassis.

All the upgrades above make sense, and if you want to keep it cost effective, no coilovers no swaybars to start, just lap and have fun.

At Perry Performance , we can advise you if you need help.

i went to check one today, and im going to have a look at two others ones tomorrow, if i make a move on either one ill pass by the shop before spring to get some info!

Depending on the milage and the year your looking at, make sure you have in inspected, these cars can hide a few unpleasant surprises.

Great car to lap with! Ive setup of few of them including my own and loved it!

Go GO Go... I love my car on the track, even when it was OEM, a bit heavy... but like VOD said.. just take off you spare and a couple of thing...and you're go to go!

Depending on the milage and the year your looking at, make sure you have in inspected, these cars can hide a few unpleasant surprises.

Great car to lap with! Ive setup of few of them including my own and loved it!

What kind of unpleasant surprises, what should I look for?

i found one almost new for a decent price, less than 50 000km, certified by VW so it still has a warranty for a few years

Back