When nuclear energy was seen as the future of the automobile

Marc123

Lately, the media has been reporting serious damage to Japanese nuclear plants following the earthquake and tsunami. Around the globe, authorities and the public are now questioning the use and future of atomic energy.

Did you know that in the 1950s, manufacturers such as Ford actually envisioned cars powered by small reactors?

More:
Nuclear powered cars.

fn.jpg

every single time something happens somewhere people want to ban nuclear and then after a few months the subject is dropped....just because a tsunami hit a nuclear plant in japan doesn't mean the one in quebec is at risk!!!

Was it damage from the tsunami and the earthquake? It is in fact the lack of electricity that caused the disaster.

from what i heard the lack of electricity happened because the tsunami barrier was not tall enough and the wave hit the emergency generators....killing their backup plan in the process....course who's idea was it to put a nuclear plant near the ocean shore???

The question is not if continue to build nuclear reactiors, rather the question is WHERE do we build them from now on.

badly informed people have had pretty good success at scaring people from nuclear energy. It IS, somehow dangerous producing nuclear energy but nuclear energy has major advantages. Still, the process isn't perfect and humans should continue pushing forward with this method and make it better. ''Banning'' nuclear energy would be going millions of step back.

And for Japan, it was the lack of energy required to cool the reactors which caused the accident, not the earthquake/tsunami itself (indirectly is since the earthquake caused the loss of electricity). The plant was not ready for this, they had generators ready to take over but the ''emergency plan'' wasn't enough.

a nuclear power car would kick some major ass.

Having some radiator problems on one of those would suck major ass. Not to mention a drifting accident.

From sLitCh
It IS, somehow dangerous producing nuclear energy but nuclear energy has major advantages. Still, the process isn't perfect and humans should continue pushing forward with this method and make it better.

Stupid people make stupid rash decisions when scared. Nuclear power is a good thing, however more attention should be made to make it safer and less toxic to humans. We are hiding from our responsabilities by abandoning this powerful technology. I used to be against this shit but now realize its important.

Makes me laught to when people start to shout ban nuclear power if japan can prove one thing its that a nuclear power plant is tought as fuck 8,9 plus a huge ass tsunami and its still less damage then what tchernobyle made and its a 40 years old power plant if they couldve kept some current to have the coolers on they couldve saved the plan . Being on an island like they are they didnt have much choice for making they're power. I still think nuclear power is a good way to make electricity their is risk but hey driving a car is risky as hell and people dont spaze out about it .

cool car btw

every method on earth of producing electricity has major downsides...we hide behind our hydroelectric dams saying they are 100% ecofriendly...sure...mercury infested waters are perfectly harmless right?

at least with nuclear its a lot easier to track the waste

and whats the point of banning nuclear in quebec if ontario almost uses nothing but nuclear? will we still be able to take care of ourselves if their reactors blow but we have no expertise in the field? hiding under a rock is never the solution!

Makes me laught to when people start to shout ban nuclear power if japan can prove one thing its that a nuclear power plant is tought as fuck 8,9 plus a huge ass tsunami and its still less damage then what tchernobyle made and its a 40 years old power plant if they couldve kept some current to have the coolers on they couldve saved the plan . Being on an island like they are they didnt have much choice for making they're power. I still think nuclear power is a good way to make electricity their is risk but hey driving a car is risky as hell and people dont spaze out about it .

cool car btw

It's not because a guy with a pedophilia avatar says so that it's true.

It's much worse than Tchernobyl. We will only know the true extent in the next 30-40years.

lol @ cars with nuclear reactors..... what would happened if they got into an accident?

It's not because a guy with a pedophilia avatar says so that it's true.

It's much worse than Tchernobyl. We will only know the true extent in the next 30-40years.

Maybe im not expert but as far as i have read the tchernobyle melt down was pushing out 30,000 rontgen per hour at its core and you need 400 rontgen to kill someone. Fukushima is preducing 900 rongten per hour on the night of the second explosion for a short while ...And Tchernobyle had 30000rontgen sustained for a long period. Its still a very sad incident and radiation is bad even at 900 rontgen but its not worst the Tchernobyle

^^Your not an expert. Had you been, you would of pointed out the fact that Tchernobyl's full effects were hidden from the populace for 10 years. You trust that the Nuclear lobby and our wonderful people in Government are telling the truth? If that's the case I've got some nice beach front property for sale in Montreal for you.

The damage from Japan will affect all of us in a way or another, it is empirical that we demand to have the full story.

Dude Tchernobyle was in communist russia in 1986 for sure they tell people everything is fine. Today with all the "alternative media" Twitter, facebook etc people can get informed by other people that are on the other side of the globe and its not "our wonderful people in Government" like you say that is trying to hide what is happening in another country on the other side of the planet do you really think they give a fuck about japan they must be thinking more in the line of "shit better them then us. You write that you are in Dubai do You trust your government that only care about how much petrol they can sell to the suckers in the west and buy every invention that could overthrow your precious oil economy ? I sure dont . Get informed ,read ,ask questions then maybe you can start arguing about something you know and stop acting like "the man is watching you"

Back