48÷2(9+3) = ?? 500 of 1000 educated people got this answer wrong worldwide.

288 or 2?

Votes: 72 45.6%

Votes: 86 54.4%

• Total voters
i think this question is meant to confuse French people who reverse English terms or words

English Math = PEMDAS

French Math = PEDMAS

confusion understood

grade 7 just called, they want their passing grades back from u guys

http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-pemdas.html

p
parentheses first
e
exponents (ie powers and square roots, etc.)
md
multiplication and division (left-to-right)
as
addition and subtraction (left-to-right)

md

md

md

md

answer is 2

wow you fail!!!

It says: Multiplication and Division!
They are of the same importance!

You do which ever comes first from left to right as you said, thus the answer is 288.

You people are fucken retarded!

this is my last post ITT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

The standard order of operations, or precedence, is expressed in the following chart.

terms inside brackets
exponents and roots
multiplication and division
addition and subtraction

A common shorthand is P. E. M. D. A. S. which is an a abbreviation of "Please excuse my dear aunt Sally" or parenthesis, exponent, mutiplication & division, addition & subtraction.

This means that if a number or other symbol, or an expression grouped by one or more symbols of grouping, is preceded by one operator and followed by another, the operator higher on the list should be applied first. The commutative and associative laws of addition and multiplication allow the operators +, −, *, and / to be applied in any order that obeys this rule. The root symbol, √, requires either parentheses around the radicand or a bar (called vinculum) over the radicand. Stacked exponents are applied from the top down.

this is my last post ITT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

The standard order of operations, or precedence, is expressed in the following chart.

terms inside brackets
exponents and roots
multiplication and division
addition and subtraction

A common shorthand is P. E. M. D. A. S. which is an a abbreviation of "Please excuse my dear aunt Sally" or parenthesis, exponent, mutiplication & division, addition & subtraction.

This means that if a number or other symbol, or an expression grouped by one or more symbols of grouping, is preceded by one operator and followed by another, the operator higher on the list should be applied first. The commutative and associative laws of addition and multiplication allow the operators +, −, *, and / to be applied in any order that obeys this rule. The root symbol, √, requires either parentheses around the radicand or a bar (called vinculum) over the radicand. Stacked exponents are applied from the top down.

You should read what you copy paste from wikipedia.

The operations of the same order are applied from left-to-right as you have VERY CLEARLY pointed out in your previous post!

Its easy...
1) you do parenthesis first: 9+3=12
2) now its 48÷2x12
3) you do it in order because multiplication and division have equal priorities.

it gives you 288

a factor to a bracket and a multiplier to a bracket isn't the same.

In 2(12), 2 is a multiplier to the bracket, not a factor. In (12)², 2 would be a factor. In our case the bracket factor is implied as 1, which doesn't change anything.

tip-c is correct IMO. 288 is the correct answer.

Trolling algebra rules is funney.

When a number is against a parenthesis or bracket it is considered a factor and must be taken into account before any division or multiplication.

2(9+3) could also be written as (18+6) = 24

A lot of you are assuming that you can drop the brackets and replace it with a * sign. You can't do that.

Yes you can factor 2(9+3). But you can actually replace the brackets by a multiply sign.

If the question was:

2(9+3)

then the answer would be 2. But in this case, you assumed the denominator to be (2(9+3)), so you can calculate the denominator all together first.

Yes you can factor 2(9+3). But you can actually replace the brackets by a multiply sign.

If the question was:

2(9+3)

then the answer would be 2. But in this case, you assumed the denominator to be (2(9+3)), so you can calculate the denominator all together first.

You are changing the equation by adding another set of brackets. Thus you get a different answer!

ACTUALLY ....the proper way to do it is 48/2(9+3).........Because de 2 is beside the bracket, and there is not sign in between you multiply the 2 with both numbers inside bracket 2X9= 18 2X3=6.....You then add the 18+6=24.... you start with this becuase u must start with bracket first......48/24 = 2......................Your Answer is 2....and this is the proper way to do it !

i know i wrote i wouldn't come back but i just triple proved you wrong UQAM fags

48÷2*(9+3) = 48÷2*(12) = 48÷24 = 2

Last edited:
Its easy...
1) you do parenthesis first: 9+3=12
2) now its 48÷2x12
3) you do it in order because multiplication and division have equal priorities.

it gives you 288

this is wrong.....the equation is 48/2(9+3).......just because you solve whats in the brackets does not mean the brackets dissapear...they dont...they stay...48/2(12)....you still have to work on the brack firts law of PEDMAS/PEMDAS ( same thing) .......2(12)...is also 2x12 = 24......48/24= 2...........answer is 2!

aJ2y9.png

72Psu.png

la réponse c'est 288

this is wrong.....the equation is 48/2(9+3).......just because you solve whats in the brackets does not mean the brackets dissapear...they dont...they stay...48/2(12)....you still have to work on the brack firts law of PEDMAS/PEMDAS ( same thing) .......2(12)...is also 2x12 = 24......48/24= 2...........answer is 2!

48÷2*(9+3) = 48÷2*(12) = 48÷24 = 2

LMAO. This is completely false! Where the hell did you get this?

48÷2*(12) = 4÷2*12 = 288

Lol you just said it...

if 2(12) is also 2x12, so the equation should be 48÷2x12, right? Now you do left to right and it gives you 288.

Back