Sold the M3 :(

MrSpace

Legacy Member
Just sold the M3 :(
Man I loved that car, great handling!!! But I had to sell because I only did 5000km in the year and now I need a car to do 150km per day...

5594111580_e8e2cae81f_z.jpg

Now that we use the truck for long hauls (other than commute) and carrying stuff, I want a "cheap" car... but no way I'm getting a corean.

My choices:
~1992 Mercedes-Benz 190E with ~206 000km ~$2k
~1992 BMW 3 series ~$3k
~2000-2003 Volks Jetta < 200 000km ~$3.5k

not sure
1- which one will be the cheapest/easiest to repair
2- which one can get to high mileage easily (starting at 200k, will climb fast)
3- which one will last the longer (the volks are almost all rusted under 2000, which makes me think the body panels are very weak compared to the MB and BMW)

what do you think? don't sawy BMW just because it's the BMW forum... I don'T want a money pit, but maybe the E30 is cheaper to maintain /repair?

The volks is much younger, but the rust issue on all of them scares me, where the 1992 unrusted bmw/mb give me confidence in doing 400 000km without too many problems.

Thanks

Must be sad to see her go :(
Well clean e36's,e30's are rare and they aren't cheap,For the number of km's you will be doing and the fact that you probably want a relatively recent daily and not a project car maybe an mk4 TDI?

I found the TDIs to be over 250 000km when under $4k.

problem is at that mileage, 4.5k is a lot when I consider that I probably won't get more than $1k when I sell it later. Not sure about TDi problems, must be expensive to fix a turbo?

I have both a E30 and E36, 20 years old cars or so need work and attention. As previously said finding a clean example for 3 000$ won't be easy or it will require some work and money to make it drive worthy.

yeah I was doubting that... it looks like the 190E would be a better choice than the BMW, especially since it's not a project, it needs to run daily.

Dude, but WHY??? You should be the happiest man on the street right now for driving the M3 150km per day, geeeeee :( :( :( :(

That sucks, was a nice color combo. Hope you got a good price for it.
Out of your choices, I'd get the VW, it's the least money pit of your options, and a lot of the repairs can be DIY.

well the color combo made that I sold it in less than 2 weeks (where the other ones are sitting for sale for a long time) and I also got $500 short of my "price".

I am debating between the VW and MB, VW much younger but MB seems a tank.

Beautiful M3 , but when you dont drive it alot it becomes a money sucker... insurance, registration, regular maintenance ,, it becomes a waste of money at the end of the year if you dont do enough KM on it.

Here is what you should get : 1996 VW Jetta TDI that runs on Vegetable oil :)

PAC # : 23364450

E36 va être tough mécaniquement (sauf si automatique)... là ou ca blesse c'est les suspensions, les bushings etc.

j'ai toujours entendu des bonnes choses pour les 190E, bin fiables. mais comme le E36 ca reste un char qui a 20 ans, jcrois que ce qui est le plus important c'est la condition de l'auto pis l'entretient que le(s) ex-proprio a fait

jetta TDI ca l'air assez solide aussi, a part les ptits gugusses qui pètent qui sont juste gossants

apres quelques recherches je vois deux options...

acheter une 190E a 2000$ que je peux revendre 800-1000$ dans quelques années si bien entretenue. De la il faut ajouter le cout de la maintenance et des réparations durant ces années.

mettre plus d'argent ($3-5k) pour trouver une Jetta 2000-2003 diesel ou 2L. Ce que j'ai peur, c'est que le cout de maintenance coute aussi cher sur la Jetta 2000 que la MB et que la dépréciation soit plus grande sur la Jetta. Ce que je me suis rendu compte, c'est qu'en bas de 3000$ t'as vraiment pas grand chose comme Jetta bien entretenue.

Back