Language Thread (following the Duceppe and the english debate thread)

Gatz

Legacy Member
Given that Montreal is a multicultural city, lots of people speak more than one language. However, from the people that I know, I must say that a lot of phonies are out there. I have Arab friends who cannot count to 6 in Arabic and Italian friends who cannot make coherent sentences in Italian. Then, there's all of the North American-born Asians and so forth.

I think that, in order to claim that you speak a language, you should be able to have standard conversations with people and be able to read everything needed for daily life in that given language.

Knowing this, how many languages do you speak (no boasting; remember what happened in the 'how much do you make' thread)?

To be fair to people born and raised here, I have respect for you if you actually got out of your way to learn a language that is not used here.

I speak 4 languages, I was not born here. 1 is my mother tongue, I learned to speak/write French and English perfectly, and I also learned 4 years of Spanish as options at school.

I speak:

English
French
Russian
Ukrainian
German (very basic level but in the process of learning)

I wasn't born here but I was raised here. I make use all my known languages (except German) on a daily basis.

francais et puisque je travaile dans le Square island l'anglais s'en vien de mieux en mieux :p * joke no offence*

Francais, english, български, a little bit руcкии and romanian. I wish i had the time to learn a couple more thought like german

ecole primaire et cegep en anglais, secondaire en francais

J'avais commencé à apprendre l'allemand, mais pas facile quand on peut pas pratiquer

English, French, Russian. I've all but forgotten Ukrainian and German since I never use them :(

Back