French Ban Words ‘Twitter’ And ‘Facebook’ From TV, Radio

Sandro_Bit

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl3|sec3_lnk2|215190

How do you say Twitter and Facebook in French? You don’t say them at all.

France has banned the names of both social networking sites from being spoken on radio or television, unless they are part of a news story.

The reason for the ban goes back to a 1992 decree that says mentioning such services by name is an act of advertising. Therefore, using the terms “Twitter” and “Facebook” constitutes preferential treatment.

Dafuck?! I thought it was kinda weird when they mention "Google" in movies, especially serious ones, but this is a bit extreme.

Dafuck?! I thought it was kinda weird when they mention "Google" in movies, especially serious ones, but this is a bit extreme.

they pay for that in movies, i heard books now do it too. buts news and radio, it's free advertisement. u see it everywhere now. it's the "e-mail" of this century. Peirce morgan has the name twitter on his show for a full hour! a full hour ad! insane...

saying those services by name were banned from being spoken on radio/tv in 1992. only now they realized that it applies to facebook/twitter.

its not like they passed a new law banning them.

I hope they ban them here too. when i hear a grown man mention either, they automatically lose credibility.

Hmmm still find it weird, I mean its not really hurting anyone as long as they dont bash them.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Don't ask.. they are French. The French are fucking radical at times. They are just starting to use the word "Courriel" isntead of "e-mail".. I'm sure there is a reason for that as well.

@FoxMcCloud... LOL. Or "un sweeeet" to say Sweat Shirt... *shivers*

Back