Editorial: We suck as drivers, period.

Marc123

We must study them, emulate them and do like them. We all know that Europe is a millennium up on us but does that mean that we North Americans will always be a thousand years behind? “That's preposterous, Matt, stop talking trash!” I won't 'cause we just don't and won't get it. What we've got is everything back-asswards.

I just recently spent two days barrelling down various stretches of the Autobahn in a 2011 Porsche 911 Sport Classic (review coming soon) and a 2011 Volkswagen GTI Edition 35. With these cars, I reached speeds that would have me drawn, quartered and hung upside-down naked by my genitals in our country which considers itself “free” without repression or oppression. Newsflash bud, that ain't the case. Fine, the grass may not be greener over there at all times but when it comes to cars, they know what they are doing. We are Neanderthals and I'm insulting them by saying it.

Driving in Germany is a skill that is taught, honed and tested. That's the difference. We suck as drivers, period. I don't care how good you think you are, spend 20 minutes on an Autobahn and you'll see that you are a danger to yourself and others behind the wheel of a car. “That's why I drive at 100 km/h on the freeway”. Awesome. While some of us are wanting to get around at 120 km/h, your slowness in the middle or worse, left lane, is causing traffic, peeving-off other drivers and even causing accidents.

More:
http://www.auto123.com/en/blogs/german-roads?blogid=132840&utm_source=forums_mtlr&utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=blog-en

Back