F1 Will be allowing turbos for the first time in 26 years

Original

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2011/6/12237.html

The FIA, motorsport’s governing body, has confirmed that Formula One racing will move to new engine regulations in 2014, with the current 2.4 litre V8s being replaced by more efficient 1.6 litre, turbocharged V6s.

The FIA had originally planned a switch to four-cylinder engines in 2013, but has approved the revised formula in light of concerns formalised last week by various interested parties.

“Following a fax vote by its members, the World Motor Sport Council has ratified the engine regulations recently drawn up in consultation with the main stakeholders in Formula One,” read an FIA statement.

“The new power plant will be a V6 1.6 turbo unit with energy recovery systems. This new formula will come into effect as from the start of the 2014 FIA Formula One World Championship season.”

The new energy recovery systems (ERS) will replace the current kinetic energy recovery systems (KERS) and are expected to be more powerful. Combined with the legalisation of turbocharging, they will ensure overall power outputs remain similar to current levels, despite an anticipated drop in the permitted rev limit.

Formula One’s last turbo era ended in 1988, a season dominated by the 1.5 litre V6 Honda-powered McLaren’s of Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna. The sport returned to naturally aspirated engines in 1989, with a new 3.5 litre formula.

That should be interesting. Will we see another power race? Will turbo tech evolve to another level? Will 1.6 V6s sound as good as the current V8s? We shall see.

I guess that they will install restrictor in these cars, like theyre doing in rally

It's old news, since at least a year and half some of my colleague are working on these engine.

Mmm red too fast, they were working on the 1.6 4cylinder turbo, now it's going to be 6 cylinder.
I guess they have a lot of work now :run:

The most impressive F1 turbo engine to date...BMW M12

f1+turbo+bmw.jpg

9992-bmw-f1_turbo_bt_52_1983_001.jpg

Le seul but du I4 turbo était de faire revenir Audi en F1, ils ont chié dans pelle à dernière seconde alors yavait pu personne qui voulait de ce moteur là. V6 turbo c'est un bon compromis.

Back