Question about mags

White Eagle

I'm looking on buying mags for my car for next summer, but was wondering what "17x8" meant. I know that its a 17inch rim, but what does the 8 stand for?

Thanks.

Quick lesson in tires and rims:

My tires are size: 215/45/18

What does this mean?

The 215 has to do with the width of the cross section (widest portions of tire) in milimeters

The 45 has to do with the tire size's sidewall height from the rim to bottom of the tread(when new) which is 45% of its section width.

After that there can be a letter, such as Z, which represents the max speed rating (z=max, around 300km/h) however most speed ratings are now incorporated in the service description

There is an R (or other letter) which follows it, which means that the tire has a radial construction(best) where the load is radiated out from the center of the wheel

The last number corresponds to the rim size.

There will also be a series of numbers and letters such as 91S which indicate the load and speed rating (if it is not a z rated tire) this is called the service description

As for rims there are 3 main things to know

18x7.5 is my rim size, meaning it is 18 inches in diameter and 7.5 inches wide.

The other important issue to know is what offset the rims is at because it contributes to the placement of the rim. It is the difference between where the bolts make contact with the tire and the outer portion of the rim. The larger the offset the larger the deep dish. It is important to know when installing rims that are too large for your car as it might not make clearance near the back of the fender therefore be unsafe (not that it already isn't lol)

Hope that helps!

before you buy anything check out your honda forum to see what specs fit better. You also have to figure out your offset!

Back