Buying used private car from Ontario

Btw do we have to pay a tax in Ontario when buying a car and bringing it into Quebec? When my father would buy cars from priivate seller over there, he would just ask the seller to sign the back of the registration and write down a bill of sale and away he goes back to Quebec.He did not pay taxes in Ontario. He would do the same thing when selling his cars to people from Ontario coming to buy them here in Quebec. He would sign the back of the registration paper and hand them over a bill of sale without them having to pay a Quebec sales tax. However, this is where I get confused;My father is over seas and I just sold my car to a lady from Ontario. We went to the SAAQ for a transit and mentioned that I am selling her the car. The lady at the desk charged her 700$ in taxes. WTF? normally when my father sells a car to someone, the seller would never go to the SAAQ for title transfer and would therefore avoid paying Quebec tax.

well then you delt with a complete retard lol trust me, i've bought cars multiple times, and as soon as you want an transit you need insurance

'96 Sunfire - 26x xxxkm - auto - sold
'90 240sx - 270 xxxkm - 5spd - sold
'92 Thunderbird Supercoupe -86 xxxmiles - 5spd - sold
'00 Sunfire - 162 xxxkm - 5spd - sold
'03 Sunfire - 350 xxxkm and counting! - 5spd - current

the sunfires in ontario must be really special.

Btw do we have to pay a tax in Ontario when buying a car and bringing it into Quebec? When my father would buy cars from priivate seller over there, he would just ask the seller to sign the back of the registration and write down a bill of sale and away he goes back to Quebec.He did not pay taxes in Ontario. He would do the same thing when selling his cars to people from Ontario coming to buy them here in Quebec. He would sign the back of the registration paper and hand them over a bill of sale without them having to pay a Quebec sales tax. However, this is where I get confused;My father is over seas and I just sold my car to a lady from Ontario. We went to the SAAQ for a transit and mentioned that I am selling her the car. The lady at the desk charged her 700$ in taxes. WTF? normally when my father sells a car to someone, the seller would never go to the SAAQ for title transfer and would therefore avoid paying Quebec tax.

it's a pain in the ass, but i believe once she has it registered in ontario she can go back to quebec and get her money back

'96 Sunfire - 26x xxxkm - auto - sold
'90 240sx - 270 xxxkm - 5spd - sold
'92 Thunderbird Supercoupe -86 xxxmiles - 5spd - sold
'00 Sunfire - 162 xxxkm - 5spd - sold
'03 Sunfire - 350 xxxkm and counting! - 5spd - current

the sunfires in ontario must be really special.

what's wrong with buying a cheap car that's easy to fix and in good condition? would it make you happier if i owned 37 civics or 12 accents?

it's a pain in the ass, but i believe once she has it registered in ontario she can go back to quebec and get her money back

what's wrong with buying a cheap car that's easy to fix and in good condition? would it make you happier if i owned 37 civics or 12 accents?

you gotta step up your game.

Just to be clear: when buying from a private party in Ontario with the intent of plating the car in Quebec, one has to go through an Ontario DMV bureau to ''transfer'' ownership? But since the car will be ''exported'' to Quebec why would the Ontario DMV need the seller and the buyer to be there? Can't the seller just go to his DMV in advance and declare that his car is being exported to Quebec and no longer registered with an Ontario plate?

I didn't need proof of insurance either but then again I bought in 2007 and it seems the law changed in 2008

For the inspection, it's more of a safety inspection so make sure your brakes, direction and suspension components are in reasonable shape, no lights in the dash (especially something like airbag) and all your exterior lights are working properly. I got hung up at the inspection because my license plate lights weren't working LOL

Just to be clear: when buying from a private party in Ontario with the intent of plating the car in Quebec, one has to go through an Ontario DMV bureau to ''transfer'' ownership? But since the car will be ''exported'' to Quebec why would the Ontario DMV need the seller and the buyer to be there? Can't the seller just go to his DMV in advance and declare that his car is being exported to Quebec and no longer registered with an Ontario plate?

Yes, you both go to the DMV. I think they need a record of who's getting the car.

I've bought 6 cars, and helped a bunch of friends with their registrations, and I've only had a seller there once because the guy was really paranoid about everything. It may be different if you're bringing it to Quebec though.
I usually just go with insurance, registration (make sure it's signed in the right area by seller), a receipt (just get a piece of paper and have the VIN, the date sold, the price and both signatures), emissions test, and the safety papers. I guess you wouldn't require the last two though

You need a Used Vehicle Information Package when you put a car in your name. The seller is supposed to provide this, but that never seems to happen. Get the seller to buy it for you though, it's $20. The UVIP tells you all the owners of the vehicle, mileage owners have registered it, if there's any leans on the vehicle, and if there's a brand (like VGA for you guys, a "VGA" here will be titled rebuild).

I'm not sure if you can just buy it and bring it to Quebec though. I know some people who've brought cars from Quebec, and they always have to register it there first.

The paper with your name, VIN, address etc is called a registration is it not?
If you don't claim ownership by registering it into your name, then it stays in the previous owners name. You don't have to get a plate if you don't want to.

That's the way it works in Ontario anyways.

I've purchased several vehicles from ontario each time was a little different.

They MAY ask for insurance, so bring proof just in case.
I was with the previous owner twice to the ontario license bureau and once with only the signed ownership and used car seller's package. They asked for proof of insurance and they asked for the signed ownership and used car seller's package but the seller did not need to be there.

I was once asked to provide PROOF OF CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP. I showed my qc driver's license and they refused to sell a trip permit to me unless I showed them a passport or birth certificate. I obviously had neither on me and the women there were complete bitches, I was 2 hours passed toronto I asked them "am I gonna have to drive 10 hours back to quebec and here?" they looked at me and pretty much said "yes".

I had to have my dad fax over a copy of my birth certificate, the women wouldn't give me a trip permit without seeing it. It only happened once, but apparently they are allowed to ask for it and some ontarians really hate quebecers so they will do everything they can to screw you over. I've always brought my birth certificate since, just in case I had to deal with some crazy bitch again lol

You get a 10 day trip permit in the meantime you have to pass the QC safety, once you have your safety certificate and vignette, you go to the SAAQ and plate your car/pay your taxes.

The paper with your name, VIN, address etc is called a registration is it not?
If you don't claim ownership by registering it into your name, then it stays in the previous owners name. You don't have to get a plate if you don't want to.

That's the way it works in Ontario anyways.

But you don't get a registration lol you can't register a car on a province you don't live in.

So you're telling me essentially nobody owns the car until you go back to your province and do all the inspections and put it on the road?

You own it, but it's not registered.

Same thing as when you buy a used car at a dealer and you leave with a transit in the window. You own the car, but it's not registered until you go to the SAAQ and he a real plate.

Back