exhaust shop

sotam123

hello,
i just recently joined this forum altho ive been browsing it for a while now..

anyways i own a mk4 golf tdi and would like to do a straight pipe to delete the muffler(its gonna have to be replaced soon anyways..)
and id like to know if anyone would know of a shop in or around the montreal area that would that for me. Also would anyone know the cost to do this?

thanks!

called them today and they quoted me for 100$ to remove muffler and install a straight pipe..i dont know if its just me but that sounds prettyexpensive to be just cutting and welding a straight back on.. i was thinking more along the lines of 40-50$...

no not at the moment but may get into it later on after winter.
what you mean?? soo your telling me that spending 100$ to get a piece of pipe welded to replace the muffler(not the cat) is a good price??
sounds pretty expensive for a 30min job

With the impeding inspection bullshit, it would be wiser if you just put an aftermarket exhaust. Just saying.

no not at the moment but may get into it later on after winter.
what you mean?? soo your telling me that spending 100$ to get a piece of pipe welded to replace the muffler(not the cat) is a good price??
sounds pretty expensive for a 30min job

Ok let's break it down this way....

Let's say his employe get 20$/h which is cheap, specially if there a real welding background like they actually have.
Now NO ONE but NO ONE that have a business want to work for 15/20 minutes and charge you this way, with all the paper work behind a job it's MINIMUM 1h that it that all!

Let's now talk about their expense:
Monthly:
Shop: 2000-3000$/month
Electricity: 400-600$/month
Other (phone/internet/insurance/etc): MINIMUM! 500$/month and up.

Equipement:
Welding Equipement (MIG or/and TIG): between 4 000$ and 10 000$
Welding component (gaz, rods, grinding/cutting disc, etc...): ~100$/h and up of welding (depending if MIG, TIG and length weld in a hour)
Basic tools: 10 000$
Car lift: 8 000$

Do you want me to keep going ?
If someone does it for less that 100$ and have a business (now someone in his home garage) honestly his a complete idiot and will go out of business in the upcoming years.

Let's say his employe get 20$/h which is cheap, specially if there a real welding background like they actually have.
Now NO ONE but NO ONE that have a business want to work for 15/20 minutes and charge you this way, with all the paper work behind a job it's MINIMUM 1h that it that all!

Monthly:

Equipement:
Welding component (gaz, rods, grinding/cutting disc, etc...): ~100$/h and up of welding (depending if MIG, TIG and length weld in a hour)

If someone does it for less that 100$ and have a business (now someone in his home garage) honestly his a complete idiot and will go out of business in the upcoming years.

:beer:*tu*:clap: Wow nice to know some of you still remember to calculate all that involved in keeping a business up and running. Bravo altivec bravo

why don't you replace the whole exhaust by a real turbo back systen for really improving the performance ? you will get the muffler replaced anyway, do eveything at once pal. and you're getting chipped as well.

Si tu veux juste te mettre un boutte de pipe.... va dans n'importe quel garage qui peuvent te le faire en dessous de la table pi tu va payer 30-40$ max.

:beer:*tu*:clap: Wow nice to know some of you still remember to calculate all that involved in keeping a business up and running. Bravo altivec bravo

lol! thk!

I used to run a shop couple years ago and still have my business so.

Monthly:

Equipement:

Well did it for 60$ today at gms on pie9..

Exaudimeam: the reason im not doing the turbo back is because i want to wait so if i really chip it (&turbo swap)then ill do it, but i isnt worth it for me atm..

Necro bumping this

Rawtec is on vacation as per their website.

I need a custom downpipe and high flow cat done for less than 600$ (stainless steel, 3")
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I dont mind if its someone doing it in their own garage as long as they dont burn my car down.

btw 100$ to do what the OP's issue was, in 2012, is expensive. In 2011, for 300$ at federal muffler, they did the following: installed 8 feet of 2.5" stainless steel steel piping, including a 2.5" stainless steel flex pipe and installed a magnaflow exhaust I brought in myself. so 100$ to do 1/10 of the job I described above is a lot.

I wouldnt trust federal with a custom high flow cat and downpipe though, for the rest yeah.

I was recommended the following shops so far:

RD turbo production
dm motorsport

Last edited:
Back