Coke and Pepsi are changing their formulas to avoid a Cancer Warning label

Sandro_Bit

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16185327

Coca-Cola and Pepsi are changing the recipes for their soft drinks to avoid being forced by law to put a cancer warning on the label.

16185341.jpg

The caramel colouring in the drinks will contain lower levels of 4-methylimidazole, which has been added to the list of carcinogens in California law.

Coca-Cola's recipe is being changed across the US - but will not be changed in Britain or the rest of Europe.

Under the legislation, drinks containing a certain level of carcinogens must bear a cancer warning label.

Coca-Cola and PepsiCo account for almost 90% of the fizzy drinks market in America.

The changes have already been made for drinks sold in California.

The companies said the new recipes would be rolled out across the US to streamline their manufacturing processes.

Diana Garza-Ciarlante, a spokeswoman for Coca-Cola, said: "While we believe that there is no public health risk that justifies any such change, we did ask our caramel suppliers to take this step so that our products would not be subject to the requirement of a scientifically unfounded warning."

The company later said that while its manufacturers had been asked to change the caramel ingredient, its "secret formula" was not being altered.

The American Beverage Association said the new standard was based on one study linking the chemical to cancer in mice and rats, but added there was no evidence showing that it causes cancer in humans.

The Food and Drug Administration said a person would have to drink more than 1,000 cans a day to reach the doses administered that have shown links to cancer in rodents.

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16185327

Coca-Cola and Pepsi are changing the recipes for their soft drinks to avoid being forced by law to put a cancer warning on the label.

16185341.jpg

The caramel colouring in the drinks will contain lower levels of 4-methylimidazole, which has been added to the list of carcinogens in California law.

Coca-Cola's recipe is being changed across the US - but will not be changed in Britain or the rest of Europe.

Under the legislation, drinks containing a certain level of carcinogens must bear a cancer warning label.

Coca-Cola and PepsiCo account for almost 90% of the fizzy drinks market in America.

The changes have already been made for drinks sold in California.

The companies said the new recipes would be rolled out across the US to streamline their manufacturing processes.

Diana Garza-Ciarlante, a spokeswoman for Coca-Cola, said: "While we believe that there is no public health risk that justifies any such change, we did ask our caramel suppliers to take this step so that our products would not be subject to the requirement of a scientifically unfounded warning."

The company later said that while its manufacturers had been asked to change the caramel ingredient, its "secret formula" was not being altered.

The American Beverage Association said the new standard was based on one study linking the chemical to cancer in mice and rats, but added there was no evidence showing that it causes cancer in humans.

The Food and Drug Administration said a person would have to drink more than 1,000 cans a day to reach the doses administered that have shown links to cancer in rodents.

I read this while drinking a Coke.

Come at me cancer.

They want to put a warning about cancer on the bottles/cans because if someone drinks 1000 can every day, they MIGHT develop cancer?....I'm sorry, but all the other illnesses you'd get by drinking 1000 cans on a daily basis are much more of a concern than the RISK of cancer. St00pid people gonna st00pid.

À part te faire grossir,te donner des boutons,je vois pas d'autre en quoi boire du pepsi normalement soit dangereux pour notre vie.

Why are people ruining my coke for me, I know its horrible for you but it's my second love.

mom bought me 2 cases of dr pepper bc it was on special and dayum this thing is raping me from the inside :run:

C'est le colorant qui est cancerigène... si t'en bois genre 1000 cans par jours.

Même le docteur béliveau trouvait ca ridicule aux nouvelles...pis lui y trouve du cancer dans toute.

C'est le colorant qui est cancerigène... si t'en bois genre 1000 cans par jours.

Même le docteur béliveau trouvait ca ridicule aux nouvelles...pis lui y trouve du cancer dans toute.

En fait, c'est les composants du colorant "caramel" qui vont être changés, car ceux-ci (4-methylimidazole et son isomère 2-methylimidazole) donne le cancer aux rats/souris.

Back