First bike 500cc ,is it just me or are these things overpriced?

tommyz24

Been looking at 500r Ninjas as a beginner-little experience rider, and wtf they just dont lose any value year to year. 2500-3500$ from basically 1999-2009 no matter what the mileage. Do people basically buy them for 3gs learn on them for a year or 2 then sell them the exact same price?

that's about it...you buy it..ride for 1-2 year and sell for about the same price.
it's about the same for every "beginner bike". From CBR125 to Z750 and more.

no not 500$, but people are selling a 2008 for 3500 and a 2000 for 3100..theres basically no depreciation, thats my point

no not 500$, but people are selling a 2008 for 3500 and a 2000 for 3100..theres basically no depreciation, thats my point

Nope. When you think about it, that's like 50% of their original value ten years later? On the upside, you should be able to resale it for the same price because of it.
Beside, the Ninja 500 hasn't changed for the last 20 years or so.. a minor mod in '94 and so some before that are cheaper. Just get a 94+. You'll find a bunch for 2K or so.

Just get a 600. Its plenty for a beginner and experienced. As a beginner, you just need to learn how to hold back until you gain more experience riding. My first bike was a 2007 yamaha yzf600r, 599cc's.

Finaly someone right minded want to start on a 500 and people suggest him a 600.

what the hell happening in your head!!!

^I don't think the extra 100cc will kill him...but stay away from the sports bikes!

I started on a Ninja ZX6E. A sporty bike, decent power, but overall very easy and fun to ride. I'd imagine the 500 is about the same.

Anything sub 600CC and sport touring is in the same ballpark.

And no, these bikes don't depreciate much! My buddy bought his Katana 2 years ago for $3200, put a chain, sprocket, new tires ($500), rode 18,000km, then sold it for $3700! Can't go wrong.

it's not just 100cc .

A Ninja/GS 500 make ~35-40hp.
A YZF600 make 80hp.(around 70hp for the katana)

But well...What do I know...it's only 100cc.

ps.: I owned a YZF600 (no R6) and ride GS500 a couple of time(my ex had one)

Again: Finally someone want to start a the lower step of the ladder..which he should be proud of..and you still suggest a two times more powerfull bike.

I'm not suggesting he get a CBR1000RR here...

A Ninja 500 and ZX6E (E, not R!) can both get to a speed where you could kill yourself, so what's the difference really?

In my opinion, the ZX6E has better brakes, suspension, tires (stock), etc., etc. So, in a situation where he's cruising on a backroad at 90km/h and a deer jumps out infront of him, which bike will he have better odds of surviving with?

Not everybody has 0 self control and drives around at max speed...

Honnestly if you dont mind selling your first bike, youll have plenty of fun for the first season with anything with 2 wheels handlebars and a motor. I started with 100cc then 250cc and thrn got a 750. Keep in mind that i was young and stupid and 16 years old at the time.

If you dont have a leadfoot mentality then just get anything and be carefull.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'm not suggesting he get a CBR1000RR here...

A Ninja 500 and ZX6E (E, not R!) can both get to a speed where you could kill yourself, so what's the difference really?

In my opinion, the ZX6E has better brakes, suspension, tires (stock), etc., etc. So, in a situation where he's cruising on a backroad at 90km/h and a deer jumps out infront of him, which bike will he have better odds of surviving with?

Not everybody has 0 self control and drives around at max speed...

you can kill yourshelf at 50km/h: I agree.
deer encounter: he'll do like everyone : Freeze and hit the deer or run in the ditch
better brake, etc etc: yeah, but the bike is heavier, completly different suspension and setting. I wouldn't say the zx6e have a better handling or any other riding capacity better then the GS at their respective speed and performance.

I have to agree that the katana, YZF600 are great beginner bike none the less.....but a 500 is a great bike that you can ride and have fun with it too.

I've been passed by 2 guy on R6 03-05 and F4i before an highway exit..they got to a couple hundred meter in front and while being two up on a GS500 I was riding the rear tyre before half of the exit and almost passing them right after the end ...it was priceless..lol!!

J'ai payé mon zx6d 1000$
C'est mon premier bike et ma première saison. Je suis plutôt chicken de nature et ce bike me convient parfaitement.
Le redline commence à 14K rpm, mais en bas de 6k rpm le bike est TRÈS docile et il commence à se réveiller vers 8k.

Avoir eux un deal sur un 500, j'aurais sauté dessus mais je suis plus que satisfait d'avoir trouvé le zx6d. En masse puissante pour me faire peur, mais pas trop. Bref je l'adore :D Bonne saison
180320121186.jpg

We cannot apply rules to everyone when it comes to riding bikes. You gotta factor age, personality, maturity level, pace of learning curve, driving experience and driving record into the mix before suggesting anything.

Some people should only start on a 40hp bike, others can start on an R1 with 180hp and they will do just fine. The best example is where tons of people started on R6/R1s and are fine 5+ years later, while also tons crashed with the same R6/R1 within the first year (we are talking about rider-error crashes).

if you want my opinion all freaking touring bikes are overpriced. Since the plates reached sky high prices for super-sport, people tend to get a touring.

I still prefer sport bikes, price for plates are high but sport bikes handle much better, are usualy lighter and looks better.

If you have to hurt yourself, it will happen anyway no matter wich kind of bike you have. It's all in the way you ride it!

Back