News: JDM Monday Meet Wal Mart St-Dorothée est Annulé

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
0512-cancelled-bigfb.jpg

Nous avons tous eu le sentiment que ce jour allait venir. Le propriétaire du Méga Centre à Ste-Dorothée a finalement demandé à la Police de Laval de mettre fin aux rencontres hebdomadaire de voitures qui se déroulent le lundi soir.

MontrealRacing.com a été contacté par la Police mardi pour nous informer de la nouvelle. La conversation a été très cordiale et les autorités policières ont été extrêmement compréhensives de la situation. Ils ont pleinement reconnu le comportement exemplaire de la grande majorité des personnes présentes aux rencontres et leur intention de ne pas causer de perturbations publiques. Ces faits sont d’ailleurs évidents à la lecture de MontrealRacing (oui la Police consulte notre forum). Malheureusement, le Méga Centre est une propriété privée et ils sont en droit de demander aux gens de quitter les lieux à tout moment.

Voici quelques raisons de leur demande d’intervention par la Police :

1. Les clients des magasins sont incapables d’y accéder. Si vous avez assisté à une rencontre, vous aurez remarqué l’utilisation du stationnement à sa pleine capacité. La capacité est telle que vous risquez d'y être bloqué pour une période de temps prolongée. Cette situation a de plus contribué à la diminution des ventes de Wal Mart et des autres magasins environnants.
2. Salubrité des lieux. Lorsque plus d’un millier de personnes se rencontrent dans un espace de stationnement pendant de longues heures, les débris qui y sont laissés sont présents en énorme quantité. Le stationnement était désastreux lors des deux dernières semaines et des graffitis ont même été peints sur une propriété privée.
3. Sécurité. Avec de si nombreux piétons et véhicules dans un endroit si restreint, les risques qu'un accident se produise étaient trop élevés.
4. Comportement imprudent. Ce n'était pas la principale raison de la fermeture des rencontres (du moins, cette fois-ci). Néanmoins, certains comportements répréhensibles ont tout de même été observés et il devenait impossible de permettre de tels agissements.

La Police de Laval nous a demandé d'informer nos lecteurs qu'ils seront en droit d'empêcher les gens de se rassembler dans ce stationnement dès la semaine prochaine. Le Méga Centre va également embaucher sa propre sécurité pour demander aux gens de quitter si les rencontres recommencent. Ce qui est bien (et je tiens à souligner ce point à nouveau), c'est que la Police de Laval n'a pas l'intention de remettre des contraventions pour modifications illégales afin d'encourager les gens à quitter.

Que se passera-t-il à l’avenir? Il est possible qu’un nouvel emplacement soit trouvé. S'il vous plaît demeurez à l'écoute pour des mises à jour.

===================================

We all had a feeling that this day was coming but we didn’t know how soon. The owner of the Méga Centre in St-Dorothée has finally asked the Laval Police to shut down the weekly gathering of cars taking place there on Monday night.

MontrealRacing.com was contacted by the Police Tuesday afternoon to discuss the matter. The conversation was very cordial and the police were extremely understanding of the situation. They fully recognized that the vast majority of people attending the meet were well behaved and didn’t intend to cause any public disturbance. This was evident from reading MontrealRacing (yes the police read our forum). Unfortunately, the Mega Centre is private property and they can ask people to leave at any time. There are a few reasons that have caused them to ask the police to intervene:

1. Clients of the stores were being prevented from shopping. If you’ve attended a meet you’ll have noticed that the parking lot is full. So full that you risk getting stuck for an extended period of time. This was also leading to diminished sales at the local Wal Mart because clients couldn’t get in and would just go elsewhere.
  2. Garbage. After a thousand people hang out in a parking lot for several hours there will always be litter left over. The parking was a mess after these meets and there was even graffiti painted on private property.
  3. Security. With this many pedestrians and vehicles in such a small location, the risk of an accident happening was too high.
  4. Reckless behavior. This was not the main reason of the closing of the meet (this time). For the most part, people did not drive dangerously and did not do burnouts. Nevertheless, there was still some and it’s impossible to allow this to happen.
The Laval Police have asked us to inform our readers that they will be preventing people from gathering in this parking lot moving forward. The Mega Centre is also hiring its own security to ask people to leave if the meets start again. What’s nice (and I would like to emphasize this again) is that the Laval Police do not intend to have a crackdown and issue tickets for illegal modifications in order to get people to leave.

What happens now? Well it’s possible a new location will be found where the owner does want people there. Please stay tuned for updates. Overdosed Performance is going to be working on something. You can read their official release here:

http://www.odv2.com/teamoverdosed_ver2/events/jdm_meet_may14/jdm_meets.html

So if you decide to go anyway next you will be met with this:

0512-cancelled2.jpg

Danny you know what I was thinking! Hippodrome Montreal....If you get in touch with the owners, its a fricken Huuuuuge lot, not too far from julep, harveys, mcds, etc, and if ticounes show up as they always do, its more isolated from the main flow of people/traffic and etc. Also, its all chained up at the moment, so we'd be able to monitor what happens there...

Having 1000+ car meets is just unrealistic. To be honest, I much preferred the meets when there was 1/200 people and your recognized most of the cars from MR and knew most of the people there. On monday you couldn't walk around or even see people you knew because of the crowd... most of which weren't even slightly aware of Montreal car culture. I've always been for a real MR meet with real MR members only. I think that would be really fun

Not terribly surprised - the ammount of revving and idiocy I saw (white STi revving to 6k while reversing, I'm looking at YOU), I figured there would be complaints. As for locales for the meets, the Colisee Kirkland or Fairview Pointe Claire lots would be good for large meets, and perhaps Gallerie Sources, but I agree with EV - smaller meets are a lot more fun, especially since its easier to find the people you know and catch up with each other. In any case that's my two cents...

On a unrelated topic, if anyone's parting out a mk2 MR2, shoot me a PM.

Best of luck to Team Overdosed in finding a new locale/organizing a new meet/whatevery they choose to do, organizing something the size of JDM Monday is hardly a trivial task, and I'm sure we all appreciate the effort they put in!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Having 1000+ car meets is just unrealistic. To be honest, I much preferred the meets when there was 1/200 people and your recognized most of the cars from MR and knew most of the people there. On monday you couldn't walk around or even see people you knew because of the crowd... most of which weren't even slightly aware of Montreal car culture. I've always been for a real MR meet with real MR members only. I think that would be really fun

thats a good idea

There's a legacy section so it's possible to filter posters and make a private forum area. Have a forum area dedicated to true MR meets. Have maybe 1000 of the most active MR members who are known reputable posters. Release the info there, change it around once and while so they don't get overrun.

Someone does dumb stuff? Simple, I know what 85% of the most active people drive... boom, removed from section and problem solved.

Not only that it would encourage the MR community to come together and get to know each other further. I love walking around MR and being like, yo, that's________ car from MR

i hope this doesn't ruin this spot in general. lots of people hang out there in the summer on weeknights to chill in folding chairs and listen to music and maybe throw a football around. not people in the hundreds, but like 10-20 people lining either side of the tims/walmart pass.

and personally (as for many), this has been one of my habitual blaze spots, long before OD meets where there. so it better still be chillskees!

move it to carrefour, the south west corner is vast and empty on monday nights. and virtually all the time because 2000 people are not lining up to go to sears...

i hope this doesn't ruin this spot in general. lots of people hang out there in the summer on weeknights to chill in folding chairs and listen to music and maybe throw a football around. not people in the hundreds, but like 10-20 people lining either side of the tims/walmart pass.

and personally (as for many), this has been one of my habitual blaze spots, long before OD meets where there. so it better still be chillskees!

move it to carrefour, the south west corner is vast and empty on monday nights. and virtually all the time because 2000 people are not lining up to go to sears...

bro who shops at sears anymore lol

Meets at a track would be the second best idea after a private meet. Its also a good business plan for any track, you can have free entrance for people and charge X amount of $ for each car. The track will make money and itll be like free advertising for other track events happening throughout the week, and im sure people would be ready to pay a small amount, if youre not then dont come thats a good 100 people out. Idiots that wanna show off can go to the drag strip, make them pay X amount of $ to use the track to race and do burnouts till their little heart stops beating, also it brings more revenue to the race track which could possibly make other events cheaper (lapping for example). Let me know what you think

X2

or maybe at the place Forzani parking ! it was a huge parking too if you can arrange something with the owner !!

Forget place Forzani.. It will be impossible. Why not at Lacroix on the 440? Pretty big parking and good publicity for him / probably a sales increase

I was there Monday till pretty late when the lot was almost empty and I noticed the garbage problem....there was trash everywhere!

Same for the shopping issues....got there around 8:50 when Walmart, IGA and RenoDepot are still open and it wasn't easy to navigate the parking lot. The biggest problem was actually going out of the parking lot since people just took over the street leaving space for only one car to pass and encouraging any passing car to do stupidities......if the cars coming to the meet would all park away from the 3 big stores that stay open late and people would just walk around or gather within the parking lot, these meets could of lasted much longer.

EV's right though, the meet was fun in a way (for laughing purposes at people doing neutral drops in old Grand Ams :D ) but something more private and smaller would be much more appropriate and sustainable long term.

bon mon idée est pas mal plus loin mais peut-etre parking aéroport de mirabel c'est toujour vide et facile de sortir mais vraiment pas mal plus loin

So what you're saying is that the WalMart complained that despite being one of the richest companies in the world, they weren't making enough money on Monday's so they asked the police to stop the meet? Another reason not to shop at WalMart imo.

If I was Walmart, I won't have any issues with having a 1000+ cars meet in my property, like they did in the first couple weeks. But when a lack of respect in a private property occurs without a shadow of doubt I will shut it down.

Last week I came around 9h30 and trashes were everywhere...it's sad.

Back