Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S or Ford Focus ST?

SpeedyDoc

Legacy Member
I Just went to the Subaru dealer last night and i had a quote on the new Subaru BRZ car.
The sportech model is very nice and attractive.
With the financial interest at 5% which i think is high actually, the car cost around 44k with a 7 years term (including a 4 years coverage + sherlocks)
The monthly payment are $534 but you can pay per week for $123 which it cost you less.

Since this is was my 1st choice, i need your advise. Is the Scion better since it cost you 5 to 6k less for the same type of car (except few difference on the body and accessories?)

I know the resale value of the Subaru is much higher than the Scion but im not planning to sell it.

With my actual income, i must say that ill be a bit tight with the montly payment for the Subaru (*if only i had 0% interest rate, that would be much better)

--------
update:

I was also looking for the Ford Focus ST which is coming in late september. the price and look is good also.. and the hp and interior quality is way more better and hi-tech.

** If anyone work at a Subaru dealer and can have a better price, i would like to be contacted.

Last edited:
yeah but i want to know if theres really a big difference between both cars (except the resale value) - if anyone knows more about them.

IMO, the BRZ has luxuries that don't really matter to me considering you can get more or less the same car for cheaper.

44 000$ over the long term?? In 4 years that car will be scrap. Lease it instead, I'm sure it will be cheaper and you wont be stuck with such a payment for 7 years. Could you imagine still paying 530$ a month for a car from 2005? It will only be worth like 6000$ in 2019.

brz.jpg

yeah lease is good also but you have less km's.. actually, i do a bit less than 30.000km a year and thats only for work. so ill pay difference in the 6000km over.
and i wont be able to put some mods on it if i want to keep the warranty (in some case)

Personnellement, j'ai opté pour la FR-S parce que je me fou un peu du luxe (siège en cuirs sauffant, radio tactile avec GPS....voilà les grosses différences entre les deux). La seule option que je trouve vraiment cool sur la BRZ est l'ouverture "tactile" des portes et du coffre :dunno:

Je pense que les deux auront un bonne valeure de revente, bien que ce soit écrit Scion, les gens on "Toyota" en tête quand ils achètent le produit.

Je ne pense pas que tu puisses la comparer à la Ford Focus ST, bien que ce soit un bon véhicule aussi, les attentes par rapport aux deux sont très différentes....la BRZ/FR-S est vraiment une sportive....c'est une voiture faite pour la piste. La Focus est plus véhicule de "tous les jours".

My 2 cents ;)

Pour ton information, ma FR-S me coûte 425$ par mois, louée sur 3 ans (pas de cahs down bien sûr) à 3.9% d'intérêts.

Getting a new car when you don't have the money for it is not a good idea. Not that I want to be your financial adviser, but you can get something just as fun as the GT86 for 1/4 of the price.

Miata, 240SX, Mustang, IS250, 328i, S2000, RX8, 350z to name a few that can be found around the 10,000$ mark for a clean medium mileage car that won't loose 30% of it's value in the first 18 months you own it! (PS, year 2000+ cars are mostly reliable until 200,000km so don't worry about mileage if the car is clean and maintained)

Or just wait another 18 months, and the GT86 will be all over the used car scene at 1/2 the price of a new one.

Compromising on your budget for a car is just plane dumb, especial since you live in a city with great public transport that charges more for plates, gas, insurance etc etc etc.

écoute soncep. ma brz est mon 26e auto... roule avec des plus vieilles voiture cool qui perdent pas de valeur tant que tu peux, ça coûte beaucoup moins chère et c'est encore plus plaisant parfois.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you have to take the financing on 84 months to have the smallest payment possible, even though there's interest, then you can't afford the car in the first place. Look for something cheaper. Also keep in mind that 5% interest in not that bad. You only perceive it as high because you're being brainwashed by all these 0% interest ads recently. 4 years ago, a Mazda3 LEASE was at 8.39%

your advise is good but since i drive 30.000km a year for work and few other things, and also for all seasons, i need something reliable on the mileage and of course on the long term.
as i dont want to compromise on my actual budget, ill go see what scion offering and Ford also.. and i might wait for march if the price doesnt match with my actual position. The financial interest rate are lower since dealers sell less during that time. I might get 0% or near and also the car value will be lower.

BTW, you can opt for a $3000 multiple security deposit on an FR-S lease to lower the interest rate from 4.9 to 3.4 and you can choose how much mileage you want with it as well. Once your 4 year lease is up and you get that security deposit back, just buy the more depreciated car outright and forget about the "excessive" mileage. It will also give you some time to stack a bit of cash to buy the car at the end all while respecting your current budget.

BTW, you can opt for a $3000 multiple security deposit on an FR-S lease to lower the interest rate from 4.9 to 3.4 and you can choose how much mileage you want with it as well. Once your 4 year lease is up and you get that security deposit back, just buy the more depreciated car outright and forget about the "excessive" mileage. It will also give you some time to stack a bit of cash to buy the car at the end all while respecting your current budget.

true story

If you're worried about mileage and reliability, why not buy a 1 or 2 year old civic/ mazda 3 or something similar?

Back