So I designed a watch... looking for feedback!

When will they be available, I'm def buying one...

Thanks for the support :)

I should have the prototypes in a few weeks. Then I'll start the Kickstarter campaign which will last about a month. Then, if it's successful, I'll have a batch made, which should take about 2 months. So, they be available around May or June 2013 if everything goes well.

I'd love to see some of your designs broody, i have a feeling you're a really shitty designer who needs to criticize others to feel better about yourself... UDM is a joke of a school for industrial design btw, good luck with that.

Nadim, i wish you good luck with the project, can't wait to see the final results! I was wondering why didn't you do the engineering drawings yourself? You know the product better than anyone else, giving this task to someone else is odd, especially considering it is a personal project.

Thank you! The reason I did it this way is because I didn't want to bother with the technical aspect of watchmaking. I wanted to focus on the design and features, and let the manufacturer do its thing. Also, they know much more about all the details involved. For example, what should the tolerances be for the crystal gasket when it's a domed sapphire crystal and you want to watch to be water resistant up to 50m? For this particular project, I don't have the time (nor the budget) to learn the hard way, by screwing up and having to re-manufacture 300 watch cases for instance. So, I just sent them sketches, specs, renderings, etc... and they translated that into the engineering drawings they'll use to cut the cases, crystals, etc... For now, I prefer to deal with a one-stop-shop, just for the sake of simplicity.

Here's an update, the parts are all being made and the prototype is approaching completion. Here are some pics of the case out of the mould before finishing.

ebu4y9u5.jpg

a9u8a9e9.jpg

Tres belles montres. J'adore ces styles militaire/pilot. J'en porterais une. Simple suggestion, le fait d'avoir des boutons poussoirs avec un lock donnerait un peu plus de cachet selon moi. Ceci etant dit, bonne chance, tres beau projet.

J'ai eu des movements seagull automatique dans le passe et pour le prix.. J'ai rien a dire la dessus. Robuste, accurate et fiable.

@Chinnu, merci pour les commentaires! Je garde ta suggestion en tete pour un prochain model. En effet Seagull a une bonne reputation. Le ST-19 a aussi fait ses preuves (et est a la base un design Suisse).

@vdub 007, thanks, and yes, I can't wait to get the wathes in my hands!

Here's another update!

The case prepped for engraving on the case back, and for PVD coating:

hargyle-case-1.jpg

hargyle-case-2.jpg

hargyle-case-3.jpg

And the strap (buckle will have the same finish as the case, and it will have the logo laser etched on it):

hargyle-strap-1.jpg

hargyle-strap-2.jpg

hargyle-strap-3.jpg

Dark brown for the brushed stainless less version, light brown for the PVD black one.

the strap looks cheap man you need better quality leather

the watch looks nice but not attractive i would choose something else if i go to a jewelry

but gonna wait to see final product

dont like computer made image they dont look as real

the strap looks cheap man you need better quality leather

the watch looks nice but not attractive i would choose something else if i go to a jewelry

but gonna wait to see final product

dont like computer made image they dont look as real

if you don't like the original strap, you can always call me! i'll make you another one ;)

Please keep updated as to kickstarter and so forth. SOme details about manufacturer, and tests, would be useful. Tested to rated BAR/Depth pressures?

They look very nice, I'm just concerned that 44mm might be a bit large, aesthetically speaking.

i love the brushed one!!!

when will they be available for sale?

btw, if you need a custom strap for your pictures, let me know!

Nice i want the all black one. Do it.

Working on it! Althought I'm leaving on trip soon so things will be delayed even more. I had originally planned to make my trip after the Kickstarter, but prototypes got delayed so I'll do that as soon as I'm back.

combien pour la noir, me want

:D j'ai encore certains details a regler avec le manufacturier, mais le prix en pre-vente va etre d'environ $325, et ensuite le prix regulier sera d'environ $475.

Please keep updated as to kickstarter and so forth. SOme details about manufacturer, and tests, would be useful. Tested to rated BAR/Depth pressures?

They look very nice, I'm just concerned that 44mm might be a bit large, aesthetically speaking.

I'll keep you guys updated for sure.

The watch will be manufactured by one of the top manufacturers in Hong Kong. They are working with very high-end famous brands, and high-end boutique brands. The provide top-notch quality control and every single watch will be tested for water resistance, accurate time keeping, and obviously full functionality of the chronograph complication. I'm sure they'll be doing all kinds of other tests. I'll ask them about it.

44mm is a medium size for this style, but of course it is on the large side generally speaking. Although, larger watches are very common nowadays. It all depends on wrist size, and of course, personal preference. I'll try to get pics on different wrist sizes to give people an idea of how it wears.

i love the brushed one!!!

when will they be available for sale?

btw, if you need a custom strap for your pictures, let me know!

Thanks!

Pre-order will start in July, and then you can expect them to be ready to ship in October or November.

I will be in touch regarding straps in July! If you're down we should work out some sort of collaboration so that people can upgrade to one of your custom straps when ordering the watch!

Working on it! Althought I'm leaving on trip soon so things will be delayed even more. I had originally planned to make my trip after the Kickstarter, but prototypes got delayed so I'll do that as soon as I'm back.

:D j'ai encore certains details a regler avec le manufacturier, mais le prix en pre-vente va etre d'environ $325, et ensuite le prix regulier sera d'environ $475.

I'll keep you guys updated for sure.

The watch will be manufactured by one of the top manufacturers in Hong Kong. They are working with very high-end famous brands, and high-end boutique brands. The provide top-notch quality control and every single watch will be tested for water resistance, accurate time keeping, and obviously full functionality of the chronograph complication. I'm sure they'll be doing all kinds of other tests. I'll ask them about it.

44mm is a medium size for this style, but of course it is on the large side generally speaking. Although, larger watches are very common nowadays. It all depends on wrist size, and of course, personal preference. I'll try to get pics on different wrist sizes to give people an idea of how it wears.

Thanks!

Pre-order will start in July, and then you can expect them to be ready to ship in October or November.

I will be in touch regarding straps in July! If you're down we should work out some sort of collaboration so that people can upgrade to one of your custom straps when ordering the watch!

exactly! like magrette and Dstraps

when ever you have some time, let me know. we should meet and talk about what we can do. this is gonna be a win-win situation for sure

Its beautiful don't listen to nay sayers I believe if you're passionate about your idea and you can see success with it then.go for it man all the best to you and again it looks awesome !

So, here's an update about this project. It's been taking much longer than expected, but I think the outcome will be worth it.

I was on a trip since the end of May, and before leaving I sent the prototypes back to the manufacturer to have a few modifications made while I was away:
- brush the case (instead of beadblasted finish)
- paint both small hands in orange
- recessed subdials
- new strap

I just got these pictures from the manufacturer and I'm very happy with the result.

I've also been reconsidering the branding for a while. So, I took the time to photoshop another logo/brand name to see how it'd look like. I think it is much better than before. I still have to think about it...

hargyle-flieger-20130711.jpg

hargyle-flieger-lume-20130711.jpg

The Kickstarter/Pre-orders are obviously delayed, but it should all come together soon now!

Back