2013 Calabogie Gentleman's GT Race Series

Mechs02

Hey Everyone!

Time for a bit of an update! Thanks again for everyone that made it out to our meeting, looks like we have a ton of interest this year,and a lot of returning talent, I'm looking forward to a great season ahead.

I am writing this email to let everyone in on the details of what was announced at our meeting and some changes that have occurred since that meeting. ALL CHANGES APPEAR IN BOLD, and there are some significant ones so please read.

Here are the basics that we covered.

1.Like last year, our series will maintain point-by passing rules, and not allow passing in any corners. This is the cornerstone of how and why our series is possible.

2.Qualifying Cars: - Because of our rules, we can run street cars, to fully prepared race cars and anything in between so long as you meet a few basic requirements.
a.Your car must meet some basic safety requirements as outline by the Ontario Time Attack Vehicle Self Check Form– Outlined here: http://www.casc.on.ca/sites/default/files/2012_vehicle_self_check_form.pdf
b.You and your car must be slower than 2:17 on the CMP Longtrack.
c.You are responsible for your own technical inspection, however if your car is seen to be unsafe you may be removed from an event.

3.Qualifying as a racer – So your car qualifies, but do you qualify to join us? NOTE: this is a RACE not just lapping where we keep track of your place in the field. This is intense, with heavy traffic, understand that before you sign up.
a.Are signed off to drive solo at CMP?
b.Do you have significant lapping experience and have a very high comfort level at the track?
c.Are you comfortable in a lot of fast traffic? You don’t have to be fast, but you have to be able to do your thing, while being able to pay attention to all cars around you, and to point faster people by.
d.Are you new to the series, there will be a peer review done before your first event, likely during the practice of your first event. These will be series veterans that will assess you on track and advise whether or not they feel safe to drive on track with you under race conditions

4.THE RULES:
a.You and your car must qualify as per the above requirements.
b.You must have an in-car video system with a removable memory card or cables on hand to download the video’s while at the track. (eg. Hero Cam)
c.You must have a Snell 2005+ certified helmet
d.You must have an SFI 3.2A/1,3,or 5 certified firesuit
e.You must have SFI 3.3/5 Certified Gloves
f.NOTE: There will be a limited number of SFI 3.2A/5 – 3 Layer Suits and SFI 3.3/5 certified gloves available for rent from the track.
g.All new racers will have a Triangle on their car until the CMP advises it can be taken off
h.*** FIRST CHANGE*** YOU MUST BE A MEMBER OF THE CALABOGIE GT CHALLENGE CLUB – (more info below)
i.Car numbers will be provided and must be mounted on the top of the passenger side of the windshield

5.THE CALABOGIE GT CHALLENGE CLUB – CMP has started an in house club that will provide a variety of benefits to each member. Cost to join the club will be $50. This is a non-refundable charge which provides each club member with the following benefits.
a.Full Race Event Insurance at each event which covers all participant and official liability within the confines of the track including paddock.
b.A steward to maintain and enforce our rules consistently at each event. The head steward will be Terry Dale.
c.Discount on race apparel at Speed Merchants (series approved firesuits and gloves)
d.Racer’s Discount at Perry Auto
e.$50 off the AISA Race school entry fee at CMP.
f.NOTE: For anyone looking to try a race, they can always attend their first race as a guest member. Membership fees would only be due upon return for a second event.

6.PLEASE NOTE, anyone who has already joined the Formula Libre Club who wishes to revoke that membership, please contact Nigel Mortimer directly to arrange a refund. The formula Libre Club has graciously agreed to provide a full refund in light of Calabogie starting their own club for this series. The Forula Libre Club Membership will not be considered in lieu of the Calabogie GT Challenge Club membership. If you wish to continue to hold your Formula Libre Membership, you will need to become a member of both clubs should you wish to race in our series.

7.The Schedule – We have a total of 9 point scoring events and 2 test and tunes; PLEASE NOTE: There has been one date change to the schedule (August 13th race has been changed to August 2nd):
a.Test and Tune 1 – April 27th – Long Track
b.Event 1 – May 4th – Short Track
c.Event 2 – May 24th – Long Track
d.Event 3 – June 22nd – Short Track
e.Test and Tune 2 – July 4th – Long track
f.Event 4 – July 8th – Short Track
g.Event 5 – Aug 2nd – Long track
h.Event 6 – Aug 17th – Short track
i.Event 7, 8, and 9 – Sept 7th and 8th – Long Track (IMSA WEEKEND)

8.Pricing:
a.Single Event - $250.00
b.3+ Events - $225.00/event
i.This also includes 1 free test and tune
ii.Discount only available for purchasing as a package, cumulative purchases are not eligible for the discount.
c.IMSA Weekend package (formerly the Calabogie Gentleman’s Cup) (Event 7, 8, and 9) - $300 Total
d.ALL 9 EVENTS - $200/Event +$250 for the IMSA Weekend = $1450.00
i.This include both Test and Tune Dates
e.If a rental suit and gloves are required (and still available), please add $50 to all “per event” pricing, and a total of $50 for the entire IMSA Weekend.

9.Refunds:
a.Single Events cancelled prior to 7 days before the event will be eligible for a full refund.
b.Within 7 days, no refunds will be issued.
c.Packaged Events – 3+, will be refunded the balance of the amount paid minus the number of past events charged at the single race value.

10.Evening Schedule:
a.Before 4:30 – Driver Check-in and registration
b.4:40 – Mandatory Driver’s Meeting
c.5:00-5:40 – Practice and Qualifying
d.5:50 – Grid
e.6:00 Pace Lap and Race Start
f.Race – 35 minutes
g.7:00 Podium and Social (food and beverages)

11.Prizes:
a.There will be no more podium specific prizes as in past years.
b.There will be a minimum of three $100 CMP Gift Certificates drawn as door prizes for participants.

12.Miscellaneous Info
a.2 Driver Car Teams will be allowed this year. Car/Team scores points rather than just single drivers.
i.MAXIMUM 2 (and the same 2) drivers per team
ii.RENTAL CARS WILL NOT SCORE TEAM POINTS
b.If participant entry in any particular event exceeds 32 racers the day before the event, the event will be run on the long track regardless of scheduled track configuration.

REGISTRATION HAS GONE LIVE! (Feb 19, 2013). Links here: http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/event-registration/calabogie-gt-challenge/ ; this is password protected... if you don't have a password yet, email me.

Thanks
Matt

CalabogieGT@gmail.com

Last edited:
My apologies , yes the Tifosi lounge is located at the st Anthony's soccer club on Preston street in ottawa.

Ok. I might go since it's not very far, and I'd like to participate in some of these races at some point in the near future.

Hey Everyone, Original post has been updated with all the information for the 2013 season!

Note we have events on the AISA Race School weekend, and after the AISA Aug lapping day! Come out for a race while you are there!

Hey Matt,

Will you be offering rebates to the ASE guys this year again??

I have a question, which is.. why the rule about fire-suits. No other club, BMW, PCA, Audi; requires suits. I could understand if you're running a real race, but for what you offer -- which is a great bunch of fun, it's not real racing. I mean, we don't even use point-bys in our lapping days, and you're using point bys in a 'race'.

Last year was fun. After spending the day instructing (or in my case driving to Bogie), I got to have some fun on the track. Sure; point-bys killed my ability to pass since I need to do it all with momentum, and waiting for the guy to give the point-by killed it, I think by requring people to have race-spec'd cars, and race equipment... you're shooting yourself in the foot.

If I need to have a race car, and race equipment, then I wouldn't run your event, I would run at Tremblant, or Mosport or Bogie during a real race weekend; where I can pass whereever and whenever I want.

You had a good thing going for you last year. It was lapping with times. It was cool, it was fun, it was safe. Don't shoot yourself in the foot. That's just my point of view.

Goodluck, and see you at bogie!

Hey Kevin! Sorry about the late reply, busy busy times around here!

With respect to the rebate for ASE guys, i will see what i can do! Right off the bat, if it's just for one race, you wont have to pay the club fee so that a bonus right off the bat. I'll get back to you about more possible discounts.

With respect to the point bys. The point by system is actually part of the event insurance, which is a lot more stringent but covers everyone involved, rather than the type of insurance if anything at a lapping event.

With respect to firesuits. Throughout last season the cars and drivers just kept getting quicker and quicker. It was a decision from the track to introduce the firesuits as an extra level of protection that can be had very cheap, but realistically most driver's in our series wouldn't go out to buy them on their own. The feedback from our club guys has all been positive. Will it hurt some sales? yes. Will the series be better off for it. I really feel so.

And all cars are still allowed, no race cars needed. We just asked guys to have suits and gloves. Hopefully most people see this as a positive move. So far the numbers indicate so :)

Hey Matt,

I have a question, which is.. why the rule about fire-suits. No other club, BMW, PCA, Audi; requires suits. I could understand if you're running a real race, but for what you offer -- which is a great bunch of fun, it's not real racing. I mean, we don't even use point-bys in our lapping days, and you're using point bys in a 'race'.

Last year was fun. After spending the day instructing (or in my case driving to Bogie), I got to have some fun on the track. Sure; point-bys killed my ability to pass since I need to do it all with momentum, and waiting for the guy to give the point-by killed it, I think by requring people to have race-spec'd cars, and race equipment... you're shooting yourself in the foot.

If I need to have a race car, and race equipment, then I wouldn't run your event, I would run at Tremblant, or Mosport or Bogie during a real race weekend; where I can pass whereever and whenever I want.

You had a good thing going for you last year. It was lapping with times. It was cool, it was fun, it was safe. Don't shoot yourself in the foot. That's just my point of view.

I don't see how faster = more risks of fire. If anything, it would have made more sense to ask people who are under certain times to have roll protection, seats and harnesses with HANS. But fire suits for everyone? I don't see it, I'm with Kev on this one. Hope it doesn't hurt your events, wish you the best, more track time for everyone!

Had lot fun last year and planning to do more this summer :)

Will clean the dust off my suit and see you at the track :D

For me, firesuits are cheap to start off with, we arent talking a requirement for 3 payers and underwear, just a suit... and if you ever need it, it will be the best piece of insurance you've ever bought.

This is the first round of negative feedback im getting. So far everyone else has seen how this can be beneficial in the event of an incident. Hopefully, the trend stays positive.

I don't see how faster = more risks of fire. If anything, it would have made more sense to ask people who are under certain times to have roll protection, seats and harnesses with HANS. But fire suits for everyone? I don't see it, I'm with Kev on this one. Hope it doesn't hurt your events, wish you the best, more track time for everyone!

This is the first round of negative feedback im getting.

Here's round 2 :p

I was hoping to get out to one of the GT races this summer, but I haven't yet reached the point where I'm willing to buy a firesuit to wear in a full-interior daily driver...

Here's round 2 :p

I was hoping to get out to one of the GT races this summer, but I haven't yet reached the point where I'm willing to buy a firesuit to wear in a full-interior daily driver...

Round 3! I am going to have to agree with the guys here. I own a firesuit for the race car, but I have never worn it in The Shitbox (lapping car). The Shitbox has gotten faster and faster, so I am putting in a roll bar, but to skip that step and say that a firesuit is more appropriate... :dunno:

Ok Another update! Calabogie is offering $50 off the entrance fee for AISA school participants and instructors. Also, no club fee is required since you will only be there for one race! Come one, come all, great fun for everyone!
Hey Matt,

I'll be instructing at the AISA school next weekend. If my car is ready on time, i'll be in. However, i won't know for sure before thursday.

Mani's car is also not ready for the first event and his spot is up for sale. Contact him at maniphone@live.ca

Not sure what the big deal is about the flamesuits, the track rents them for 50$, easy to do for a one off event. If you're taking your lapping days further, having a suit just opens more doors, for example, you can jump in a chump car anytime. Anyway, Turnout was huge at the test n tune this past Saturday so I'm sure this event will be well attended. Hope you guys can join us. I'll be there lapping Friday nite if anyone has any questions.

-Greg. black c5z06.

Back