Audi A6 Timing Chain Replacement?

Deysh

Looking into buying a 2005 audi a6 4.2. 132,000km and asking 5,500$ However, seller declares that the timing chain needs to be replaced. Anyone know the cost of such repairs and if it's worth it? Thanks.

Timing chain doesn't need to be changed unless something is wrong with it. Did he tell you the reason why it needs to be changed? it's not like it's a timing belt which usually gets changed every 100-120k.

Timing chain doesn't need to be changed unless something is wrong with it. Did he tell you the reason why it needs to be changed? it's not like it's a timing belt which usually gets changed every 100-120k.
As far as I know, the car wont run for me to figure out if it's something else. However, he did tell me that:"the mechanic said that the timing chain needs to be replaced due to some stretching of the chain".

I'd stay away if I were you, sounds like an expensive fix. I don't see why he wouldn't change the belt and then ask more for his car.

Allright thanks. Just by curiosity though, do you guys know how much it would cost to fix?

for 2005 the 4.2 with the timing chain has it listed as a non maintenance item. But I found a guy that did it at the dealer. Not pretty the cost.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2814298

dealer cost is 11k, and the motor has 50k miles.

The guy also mentions he goes elsewhere and has to do an engine pull for the job. So right there, it's not a good sign when faced with a stretched chain or bad guides.

cest tu la a6 a adesa ottawa ? cest drole sont telement rare et surtout avec le meme probleme mentioné.
non lol par contre la voiture est d'ontario. Elle se vend a combien a adesa? j'ai realiser aussi qu'il y a beaucoup de 3.2 a vendre comparer au 4.2

Back