News: Crash in the west island

matty2013

Before I begin, I am perfectly fine, no injuries but just sore muscles from tensing up before the crash.

This happened to me 11am yesterday, I was going east on the 40 and I got off at the Ste-Marie exit(where the Coliseum is). This pothole is right at the beginning of the exit so you have very little chance to slow down, I was probably doing 90 by the time I arrived at the hole.

I applied the brakes right before it, hit the pothole and it threw my car into the cement divider on the left, spun the car 180 degrees(I was facing the highway again), at this point I had downshifted to 3rd gear and was trying to recover from the slide, but kept sliding sideways into the snow/ice that borders the off ramp.

The back end went up in the air, rolled over on its nose and landed upside down. (This was according to a witness, it's hard to describe what the car looked like since I was inside. As for the part about being nose down at some point, thats what the guy said and it seems like it based on the huge imprint in the snow in front of the car)

Once the car stopped moving, I was hanging upside down by my seatbelt. I assessed myself for injuries before propping myself against the roof before taking off my seatbelt, I gathered my cellphone, school bag and sunglasses(it was sunny out I figured I'd need them). I was able to push my door open and climb out.

I took these pictures immediately after it happened, as you can see none of the emergency response teams had arrived yet.
Ambulance cleared me yesterday, but recommended I go to the hospital anyway. I refused, but then I ended up going today anyway, and I'm perfectly fine(they even checked for internal bleeding)

So my advice to everyone, wear your seatbelt! Because I never would have expected such a thing to happen on such a simple manoeuvre as exiting from the highway.

The condition of our roads in this province is sickening, and it had not occurred to me until today that I could have died.

I have yet to contact the city of Kirkland, but this kind of negligence on their part should not go unpunished.

TL;DR My car got fucked by a pothole the size of a small pond.

potholecrash.jpg

potholecrash2.jpg

potholecrash3.jpg

potholecrash4.jpg

potholecrash5.jpg

Last edited:
ouff.

fuck this province, you should consider taking action.

but i'm honestly glad that you are fine.

Damn bro, I reeeaaalllyyyy feel bad for you and I'm really glad you're okay. That could've turned out much much worse....

I hope this never happens to you or anyone again (but sadly probably will), but if it does, please, PLEASE don't slam the brakes, and if you do, release them just before you hit a pothole.

It's just crazy that this kinda stuff happens yet our province instead spends millions on eliminating English words on menu's and voicemails.......WTF!!!!

Good to hear your OK *tu*

Good to know you're okay.

Good luck trying to squeeze anything out of the city or the government for this, though. I was on TV two years ago when I got hit by a block of concrete that fell from an overpass (you might remember this). Just like you, it was a close call but I didn't get hurt and, because of this, I couldn't sue. The only thing the government did was pay for the repair instead of my insurance. No one will be punished for this, you just can't do anything unless you get seriously injured or you die.

Enjoy the fact that you are fine, and now go do some money with this, this is total none sens

I know you can make a complaint to the city for them to repair your rims when you dent them on a pot hole, wonder if they will dish out for a new car?

Good to know you're okay.

Good luck trying to squeeze anything out of the city or the government for this, though. I was on TV two years ago when I got hit by a block of concrete that fell from an overpass (you might remember this). Just like you, it was a close call but I didn't get hurt and, because of this, I couldn't sue. The only thing the government did was pay for the repair instead of my insurance. No one will be punished for this, you just can't do anything unless you get seriously injured or you die.

daaaaamn your so lucky. few inches to the left and GG

yeah I didn't post this to hijack his thread, though. I just wanted to say he probably won't be able to sue anyone for this. I DO hope he can, though.

The snowplows this year have been tearing up all the holes. Ive seen some wicked ones around downtown, you have to roll at about 15kms to not feel like your craking a rim

yeah be careful on Jean Talon, heading west right after the côte des neiges junction. I don't know what I hit (it was dark) but it was big enough to hit both wheels. I'm just glad my winter tires are still on :)

I went to stand in it after, and it's about 3 inches deep. Doesn't sound like much, but at that speed it makes the difference

Regardless of how deep, it still looks huge. Swerving around such a hole, this size, right off the exit when you are in a braking zone, is a clear recipe for disaster. Really happy to hear that you are ok! You probably should fight this just to clear your name from an insurance point of view.

Fuck, glad you're okay... Disgusting that the roads are like that.

Good luck with your compensation. RIP to your car...

Back