Is Audi Becoming Irrelevant?

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
http://jalopnik.com/is-audi-stalling-out-after-a-decade-of-dominance-1472659610

I read this Jalopnik article a while back and really wanted to know what the MR community thought. The author brings up some interesting points but I don't necessarily agree with him on all of them starting with "Audi just about owned the luxury car game through much of the 2000s". My wife and I bought a 3-Series in 2007 and I didnt' find anywhere near the same value in the Audi A4 at the time. Anyways what do you think?

Audi just about owned the luxury car game through much of the 2000s. They produced one of the consistently best-looking lineups of any automaker and packed their cars with incredible technology, performance and luxury features. Everyone wanted to be Audi, but is Audi starting to slip?
That's what this Reuters analysis piece alleges. They say that while Audi dominated much of the last decade and helped contribute as much as 40 percent of the Volkswagen Group's profits, they are starting to lag behind rivals BMW and Mercedes-Benz in certain ways. In particular, R&D spending.
Research and development spending by the 81-year-old brand, which is the profit engine of parent Volkswagen (VW), last year amounted to less than three-quarters of arch-rival BMW's outlay and a smaller fraction of Mercedes owner Daimler's.
While BMW trumpets its new "i" series of electric cars and Mercedes wins rave reviews for its new CLA and GLA ranges of sporty compact models, Audi risks looking like a laggard in an industry where innovation is a major draw for customers.
[...] Audi is on its third R&D chief in 16 months and a VW source told Reuters the parent was concerned the brand is resting on its laurels just as rivals push new technologies and designs.

It's kind of funny to see this happen. In recent years we've seen both Mercedes and BMW pull some tactics out of the Audi playbook. BMW's Mini-based front-wheel drive entry-level cars and Mercedes' CLA, A-Class and GLA all feel aimed squarely at the small luxury car market Audi has owned for some time with their A3 and A1 in places other than the U.S.
Related

And then there's the aforementioned BMW i3 and i8. Audi has flirted with electric cars over the years but has never really delivered in that department. Reuters' piece doesn't address this, but I'm also concerned about Audi's design direction: the new A3 and S3 pretty much leave me cold. Both feel like re-hashes of old A4s rather than something new and exciting.
Is Audi really starting to rest on its laurels? That's what this analyst who spoke to Reuters is saying:

"Audi lacks a vision of the future as well as core competence on technology," said Arndt Ellinghorst, London-based head of automotive research at ISI.
"They have little to offer nowadays in terms of a clear corporate message and mainly live off their past success."

I certainly hope Audi will find their focus again soon. Their cars are certainly amazing, but it is starting to feel like they aren't quite as cutting-edge as they used to be. Technology and innovation are key to winning the luxury game; hopefully they can make "Vorsprung durch Technik" mean something again.

I'll tell you the truth, Audi's are too heavy, too understeery and have very bloated unimaginative styling.

I loved the Audi's from the 80's and 90's but post 2000 they became to bland. Excluding the R8.

" Audi lacks a vision of the future as well as core competence on technology," said Arndt Ellinghorst, London-based head of automotive research at ISI. "

BUT they run this :

Weird...

In all honesty, I believe that there is nothing other than the look or maybe the quattro system which would make you want to buy an audi over the rest. The big difference between BMW/Mercedes and Audi is VW. VW's are available for those who aren't looking for luxury, but the gap in luxury between a VW and an Audi has been shrinking whereas BMW and Mercedes don't have this issue, they don't have separate lines for the "entry" level cars which just means more profit for the 1 brand. Audi will probably and should disappear and integrate the Audi lineup into VW as 1 brand.

They own so many brands and purchased so many other manufacturers that they've probably spread themselves too thin

solely on aesthetics (since i havent driven a new audi) i think they are still making the best looking cars out of the big 3

Audi is having record sales, just like BMW and MB. What is all the fuss about? The 3 German luxo brands are enjoying great times, it seems anything they build people buy because of the badges. Is Audi irrelevant, no. Is Audi boring, somewhat. However, if they execute on their future claims then maybe they will shine once again.

I was once an Audi owner and to date my favourite Audi sold in N.A. was the C5 allroad but it was plagued by reliability issues and then replaced by the hideous Q7.

" Audi lacks a vision of the future as well as core competence on technology," said Arndt Ellinghorst, London-based head of automotive research at ISI. "

BUT they run this :

Weird...

A mon avis Audi n'est qu'une autre ''victime'' ou devrais je dire participant/joueur/concepteur de produits qui repondent a la demande IMMEDIATE des consommateurs. Tout est basé sur les profits a court terme aujourdhui. Pourquoi innover au point de devenir impopulaire et perdre de l argent?

Subaru a aussi commencé avec des vehicules qui ''innovaient'' au niveau du drivetrain, des capacités/tenue de routes lors de conditions routieres difficiles. Subaru s'embourgeoise tranquilement. Ils ne font que suivre la demande d'une fenêtre de temps des consommateurs.

Rien d'anormal a mon avis meme si je trouve ca un peu dommage.

cheap condos and apple products are still selling like hotcakes. I don't think the douche trend is gonna slow down anytime soon. Volks/Audi has nothing to worry about

cheap condos and apple products are still selling like hotcakes. I don't think the douche trend is gonna slow down anytime soon. Volks/Audi has nothing to worry about

someone's girlfriend dumped him for an iphone using, condo dwelling audi driver.

Depuis qu'ils ont planté leur 2.0T version X,Y,Z à tous les sauce moi je suis out.

J'aime des mécaniques distinctives et avoir un choix minimal de motorisation. Sans parler qu'ils ont abandonné les transmissions manuelles vs BMW.

Depuis qu'ils ont planté leur 2.0T version X,Y,Z à tous les sauce moi je suis out.

J'aime des mécaniques distinctives et avoir un choix minimal de motorisation. Sans parler qu'ils ont abandonné les transmissions manuelles vs BMW.

Je crois que ce sont deux tendances qui seront suivies par plusieurs constructeurs. N'oublie pas que les "choix à ne plus finir" coutent plus cher au consommateur que des composants partagés. Ceci dit, le 2.0 et le 3.0 se complètent bien selon moi.

I'll tell you the truth, Audi's are too heavy, too understeery and have very bloated unimaginative styling.

I loved the Audi's from the 80's and 90's but post 2000 they became to bland. Excluding the R8.

IMO, modern Audi are in perfect continuity with what they have been in the past; conservative premium cars with a driving pleasure on par with the others in the segment (yet not as nice as bmw or as luxurious as a MB). I drove a 90 Quattro once and it was a decent ride but nothing over the top, it was bland. I drove a 2006 A4 Quattro too and it was crap, but it had over 150 000km and it was automatic so it doesn't help.

Design wise, they are conservative but they age really well. The only thing I dislike is that they always look like tanks, I like cars that are more svelte.

A mon avis Audi n'est qu'une autre ''victime'' ou devrais je dire participant/joueur/concepteur de produits qui repondent a la demande IMMEDIATE des consommateurs. Tout est basé sur les profits a court terme aujourdhui. Pourquoi innover au point de devenir impopulaire et perdre de l argent?

Subaru a aussi commencé avec des vehicules qui ''innovaient'' au niveau du drivetrain, des capacités/tenue de routes lors de conditions routieres difficiles. Subaru s'embourgeoise tranquilement. Ils ne font que suivre la demande d'une fenêtre de temps des consommateurs.

Rien d'anormal a mon avis meme si je trouve ca un peu dommage.

Subaru se matantise plus qu'ils ne s'embourgeoise. Parce que leurs voitures sont plus cheap qu'avant, tant niveau finition intérieure que prix...
Il faut retourner à il y a 20 ans pour retrouver des Subaru basiques et vraiment abordables, soit les Justy et Loyale (premier char neuf à mes parents une wagon awd), mais dès le début 90 ils s'étaient pas mal embourgeoisés avec la Impreza et Legacy.

Last edited:
les moteurs tdi qui vont etre dans tout les produit audi. Il manque un bon dessinateur pour revamper la a4 et la a6. La a3 berline est super belle.

Posted via Topify on Android

"cars that are more svelte"....Broody's killing it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

svelter cars?

les moteurs tdi qui vont etre dans tout les produit audi. Il manque un bon dessinateur pour revamper la a4 et la a6. La a3 berline est super belle.

Posted via Topify on Android

La A4 date de 2009, pour un si vieux char je la trouve encore dans le coup. Et elle a rien qui ne fait périmé en soit je trouve, c'est juste que c'est un peu l'archétype de la voiture tout ce qu'il a de plus banal. Elle n'a aucun défaut en soit non plus au niveau visuel, on ne peut pas être intemporel et audacieux à la fois...
J'aime mieux ça que la gamme actuelle de Hyundai qui est full trendy en ce moment mais qui aura ultra mal vieillit dans 5-10 ans. Je trouve que Mercedes et Mazda sont ceux qui savent le mieux jouer entre modération et audace au niveau design en ce moment, même si je trouve les 3/4 de leurs chars laids pareil.

was looking for a new 2013 A5, dressed it up a bit. just didnt want a A4 like all the fonctionaires with money of this province !

if you want moderate options... 59 000$ this is a 2.0T not a S5! ... with 19'' which i didnt want... Drive was the greatest. Mesh covered glass (no traditional cover) roof which opens 2 inches not to my liking .

Interior i must say whilst simplistic, was a delight with the alcantara seats and flat bottom steering !

Back