Problem solved / mk2 Jetta 1.8 16v Timing belt

Ok so I'm stumped on this. I've tried everything I could think of. I tried removing one of the banjo bolts on the fuel distributor.. I see fuel but nothing comes out unless I manually raise the plunger.

Melon d'eau... I tried adjusting the 3mm Allen bolt in the adjuster hole ur talking about... I thought It would raise the plunger a little if I turned the bolt a few times... Did I just mess something up??!

I've read up on this quite a bit today and there was a "little seep" mentioned. Ur supposed to remove one on the banjo bolts to be able to remove it and clean it, but I didn't see a seep anywhere

is your black boot vacuum tight? from after the air flow meter to your intake manifold? the way the plunger works is if air pushes the plunger up and into your intake manifold. if you got a vacuum leak the air will not pass under the plunger and bypasses it so you will not get fuel coming out of the injectors. This is a very basic mechanical injection system and relies on the amount of air being metered by the plunger to adjust the amount of fuel.
You said that the plunger when you lift it up will start the car makes me believe you have a vacuum leak after the plunger to the intake. Those black intake boots gets brittle with time and have cracks. Glad to see someone still has a 16 valve in their cars.

Can someone name this sensor? It's on the back right side of the head .. theres no wire to it in the pic coz I can't find it

looks like a temperature sensor, By the way the plunger is supposed to move very freely with little effort.
if it is sticky or stiff that is the first problem you have. you need to free it up so it bobs up and down freely.

Okey. I'll definetly take a look when i get home tomorrow, I can imagine that beeing possible after 24 years! :) Looking at your user name i'm guessing you own one too?

Can someone name this sensor? It's on the back right side of the head .. theres no wire to it in the pic coz I can't find it

Is for oil temperature reading

try to disconect the sensor #3 just for fun ;)

piece2.sized.jpg

Is for oil temperature reading

try to disconect the sensor #3 just for fun ;)

piece2.sized.jpg

pretty sure the sensor i took a pic of would be number 7 in this pic! ;), anyway.. what will disconnecting the coolant temp sensor do? you mentioned it before too

Last edited:
did you check to see if your boot after the plunger to the throttle body is not leaking vacuum? Also to adjust the hex bolt inside the hole you need to measure the CO content coming out the exhaust.

No I was in a rush when I got home today, I only had the time to try and unplug the coolant temp sensor and start like that. I'm gona take a look after work tomorrow

Thomas, you do understand that when you mimick lifting the plunger you are tricking the plunger that air is flowing through the airflow metering. When the engine is running, it create a vacuum and sucks outside air through the air filter and then plunger. Airflow will lift the plunger thus adjusting the fuel pressure to the fuel injectors. It is not a complicated system if you know how it works. If you car does not start without you manually lifting up the plunger, you should see why it does not lift by itself.

Back