Problem solved / mk2 Jetta 1.8 16v Timing belt

thomas__514

Hello people, I need help with installing my timing belt on my mk2 16v.

I blew my head gasket last year and recently started working on my car again.
I had the head resurfaced, and the valves and valve seats were refurbished.
All went well installing the head and timing the motor but im stuck at the timing belt. It's as if the belt is too short, i cant get it over the cam pulley when the belt tensioner is installed. I compared the new belt with the old one and theyre the same length.
I know this shouldnt be so complicated to do so if anyone could post a DIY they have saved somewhere, or could give me a tip it would be awesome! *tu*

thanks

Last edited:
Yeah, well over the crank, over the oil/vaccum pump, over the cam ....I'm not routing it over the alternator or something! ;)

it can rly only go one way and it has to fit. set your teeth in the cank pulley and the intermittent shaft pulley then onto the tentioner (installed but loose) and then work in onto the cam pulley. this rly shouldnt be hard to get on. if it is, there might be something off.

well ya have your crank and cam set at tdc/ appropriate timing marks. crank will be in the bell housing on the flywheel. and cam is parallel with head as usual. but like start from the bottom and work your way up with the belt. have everything locked as best possible to nothing moves. post pics. wana see whats going on

I'll definitely take some pics but just to say, I have a mark on the crank pulley that's supposed to line up with a mark on the lower timing belt cover. Then I have a mark on the cam gear that's supposed to line up with a notch on the valve cover. Then I have a mark on each cam sprocket (they each have an O. They have to be facing eachother and be at the hight of the top each of the head). If I line these all up, the O mark on the flywheel is slightly off

[URL=http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/thenorthface515/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0519_zpsqkbgvcxl.jpg.html]

IMAG0514_zpszo0pnolr.jpg
[/URL]

No I don't but I heard you can use a pair of needle nose pliers... If not I'll make myself a tool at work. Why are you asking though?

because it helps a lot to have it. when I had my 16v Passat I changed the headgasket then the head, then the cams. so I used it a lot. yes the belt is fuckin tight but that's how it is.

looks like you're fucked. scrap the car, give me the wheels.

you have it going the wrong way.

the belt goes on top of the tensioner, not under it.

Back