Problem solved / mk2 Jetta 1.8 16v Timing belt

Like this.

DSC00561.jpg

i knew you where doing something wrong.. when i saw pics i was like zomggg but someone beat me to it lmao.

lol Alex.. dumb mistake... I got a lot going on at once with the car and I had removed the head before winter.. over looked this completely

I'll definitely take some pics but just to say, I have a mark on the crank pulley that's supposed to line up with a mark on the lower timing belt cover. Then I have a mark on the cam gear that's supposed to line up with a notch on the valve cover. Then I have a mark on each cam sprocket (they each have an O. They have to be facing eachother and be at the hight of the top each of the head). If I line these all up, the O mark on the flywheel is slightly off

Back to this. After lining up all marks, the O on the flywheel is a few milimeters off. From what I've read the flywheel mark CAN be a little off.. can someone confirm?..it's a stock flywheel

Yeah that's fine if it is not spot on. Also, you can adjust the timing with the distributor if you are using one.

Yeah I am. It runs off the exhaust cam

I know you have too play around a little with the distributor cap's position to get the spark timing right.. is that what you mean?

thomas the craftman lol. can make a tensioner tool out scrap but cant figure out a 4 pulley timing belt :D miss you bud!

Haha :D where there's a will there is a way dude, I've transported a vr6 24v in the trunk of my old mk3 hatchback :thefinger. Last time I saw you was when I was painting my roll cage eh?? It's been a while man. I might come visit once I'm done school here *tu*

For those who've always wanted to know
how to remove the plastic housing for the fuel injectors on the 16v, here you go:

Its not that obvious when they've been painted over

Back