Outdoor shed roofing question.

lord_galathon

This summer one of the (many, probably too many for me...) projects I have is to reshingle my shed. It's a pretty big shed built on a cement slate and as you can see:

970395_10152818285839546_34893759723726049_n.jpg

The shingles are shot and need replacing.

While I'm at it, I'd like to reinforce the roof a bit. The antenna will be relocated on a proper antenna mast placed alongside my house, but I want to build a walk on balcony on top of the shed, nothing huge but I want it to have a permanent step-ladder so that my daughter and her friends can go hang out there. Of course there will be a guardrail although I don't think it's high enough off the ground to really need one. Also the shed is far enough from the pool to avoid any "jackass" type stunts.

Right now, the roof is solid, I can step on there and it flexes, there's one plywood that's rotten on the right hand side, right above the door. It's not visible on the photo because of the angle but I've already repaired it with another plywood over it, I will obviously rebuild that part.

How advisable would it be to "double up" the existing plywood with a second layer of plywood before reshingling it? Sort of what you'd do when reinforcing the floor to prepare for ceramics.

Also, anyone have any places to buy shingles? As you can see I don't need 11.000sq/ft of shingles, I've not measured it but the cement slab is 12'x12' so the roof is probably a total of 130sq/ft or so. I'm hoping to be able to carry them back in my wagon, maybe not all at once and possible from not too far away (I'm in Ile Perrot) as to not overtax the (new) suspension on it.

Color is not really important. Whatever's on special and not like, "Orange" or "Yellow" or "Offgreen" should be okay.

TIA.

Why not change to a metal roof and never have to change it again while you own the house?

Nonono, as little maintenance as possible. If I were to change it to metal roofing I'd do the house before the shed... lol. Imagine, a shed with metal roofing. Then I could rent it out lol...

But it's not unusual to double up the plywood on a roof then. The framing is good, it's 2x3s and 2x4s.

Calculé bin vite, t'as 300pi2 de bardeau + 1 rang de chapeaux ça fait 11 paquets de bardeau. Environ 550-600lbs dépendamment du bardeau. Fait le tour des Rona/Home Depot/Patrick Morin/Home Hardware de ton coin pi check ce qu'ils ont en spécial.

Pour ton plywood, ça sert a rien de le doubler. C'est une dépense inutile.

Pour ton deck, fait dont un petit dessin sur ta photo. Jvais te conseiller selon ce que tu veux faire.

P.S.: Pour ta rampe de futur deck, tu va être obliger d'en mettre une. Si t'as plus que 16'' de haut, ça prend obligatoirement une rampe.

Calculé bin vite, t'as 300pi2 de bardeau + 1 rang de chapeaux ça fait 11 paquets de bardeau. Environ 550-600lbs dépendamment du bardeau. Fait le tour des Rona/Home Depot/Patrick Morin/Home Hardware de ton coin pi check ce qu'ils ont en spécial.

Pour ton plywood, ça sert a rien de le doubler. C'est une dépense inutile.

Pour ton deck, fait dont un petit dessin sur ta photo. Jvais te conseiller selon ce que tu veux faire.

P.S.: Pour ta rampe de futur deck, tu va être obliger d'en mettre une. Si t'as plus que 16'' de haut, ça prend obligatoirement une rampe.

Merci.

pour le deck, c'est pas certain ce que je vais faire, mais c'est pas 16' de haut meme sur le top, j'y arrive avec ma main pis je suis pas exactement Chara.

600 lbs pas sur que mon outback peut le prendre dans valise. Je vais checker le manuel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Merci.

pour le deck, c'est pas certain ce que je vais faire, mais c'est pas 16' de haut meme sur le top, j'y arrive avec ma main pis je suis pas exactement Chara.

600 lbs pas sur que mon outback peut le prendre dans valise. Je vais checker le manuel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 ''(pouces). Si le dessus du deck est a plus que 16'' du sol, ça prend une rampe de 36''. Si le dessus du deck est a plus que 72'' du sol, ça prend une rampe de 42'' de haut.

Back