Failed restoring headlights, please help.

Polski

The previous owner on my car did a lot of highway and the headlights are pitted, no so much hazy.

I sanded one with 1000 grid, then 1500, rubbed the bluemagic stuff, and finally the mcguire clear while following the directions on the bottle as usual.

I've done this on two of my older cars and it worked flawlessly, but not this time. The haziness from using the sandpaper won't go away. I applied the bluemagic stuff a second time as well as the clear but it seems just as hazy.

Sorry for the shitty iphone pics

What I used:
6zvwuq.jpg

What the headlight looked like before:
35ir42s.jpg

What it looks like now:
fokmmo.jpg

Comparison (the right one is the hazy one, left one was untouched):
1zg45nc.jpg

Try wet sanding with 3000 grit before the blue stuff. Also you might want a sealant after you get it clear, so it doesn't oxidize again in 6 month.

I always do this
wet sanding 1000 5 minutes, next wet sanding 1500 10 minutes and last wet sanding 2000 20 minutes
followed by meguiars plastX and my electric polisher and very soft polishing cloth for 15 minutes at least

I always do this
wet sanding 1000 5 minutes, next wet sanding 1500 10 minutes and last wet sanding 2000 20 minutes
followed by meguiars plastX and my electric polisher and very soft polishing cloth for 15 minutes at least

I'll give that a try.

Try wet sanding with 3000 grit before the blue stuff. Also you might want a sealant after you get it clear, so it doesn't oxidize again in 6 month.

Any specific brand?

Thanks boys

German plastic are made of better quality than american and japanese plastic which means they are harder to correct. Maybe you can remove 1500 grit with a bluemagic stuff on a JDM plastic cover, but on a german car, you won't have this luck.

1) you need to understand how polishing works. If you can't remove #1500 grit with a certain polish.. you either need a coarser polish OR wetsanding with a finer grit like 3000.

2) Bring it to someone who know how it's done. :)

As tu utilisé plastx avec une guenille ou un une machine à polir, je te recommande la machine à polir et ça vas partir

German plastic are made of better quality than american and japanese plastic which means they are harder to correct. Maybe you can remove 1500 grit with a bluemagic stuff on a JDM plastic cover, but on a german car, you won't have this luck.

1) you need to understand how polishing works. If you can't remove #1500 grit with a certain polish.. you either need a coarser polish OR wetsanding with a finer grit like 3000.

2) Bring it to someone who know how it's done. :)

Thanks for the tip, i'll try a finer grit for sure. The two previous cars i did were also german (mk4 jetta and B5 A4), maybe they toughened up the plastics since then.

Do those products expire? I had them for maybe 2-3 years now.

As tu utilisé plastx avec une guenille ou un une machine à polir, je te recommande la machine à polir et ça vas partir

une guenille, jai une extension a drill pour mettre un pad, j'vais l'asseyer.

IMO 1000 isn't anywhere near enough. I wouldn't start anywhere above 800 grit.
That's just my opinion.

800 > 1000 > wet sand ~1000 > wet sand 3000 > compound/polish

I always do this

wtf 35 minutes de sablage sur chaque lumières?! Tu vas finir par passer au travers lol.

It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like they need more polishing. It seems you need something more aggressive (product and polisher)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

C'est magique avec une buffeuse rotative... Ça fonctionne un peu à main mais ça donne pas assez de chaleur pour que le poli fasse effet.

Back