New to Montreal looking for cheap reliable car advice

BritishBloke

Hello MR.

Im from the UK; been in montreal almost a year now, and its time to get a car. Im looking for a bit of advice, because I don't really know the Canadian used car market.
My budget is around $2500, I just need something half decent that will last me around a year without needed repairs. I would prefer manual, but I think I will have to go Auto so my GF can use it.
This is the s14 I left behind when I left the UK As much as I would love a car that can go sideways, I do need something more sensible. :D

Advice or recommendations would be appreciated

Cheers :)

Wow that's one helluva nice S14! *tu*
You could buy mine if you want (shameless plug in my sig :D)
In all seriousness if you're gonna keep it just for a year I'm leaning towards a well-used 2.2ltr Subaru impreza or legacy... You won't have much fun during the summer but you'll be able to have some sideways fun come the white stuff! Plus you"ll be able to possibly sell it at a profit (or at least for the same price you bought it initially).
Welcome to MR!
Cheers

1988 Jaguar XJ sovereign V12. Reliable, good on gas, abundance of parts and pretty quick at 291hp.

1988%20Jaguar%20XJ%205.3%20V12%20Series%203%20Sovereign%20(C00003-05).jpg

1988-jaguar-xj-3-6-sovereign1.jpg

Wow that's one helluva nice S14! *tu*
You could buy mine if you want (shameless plug in my sig :D)
In all seriousness if you're gonna keep it just for a year I'm leaning towards a well-used 2.2ltr Subaru impreza or legacy... You won't have much fun during the summer but you'll be able to have some sideways fun come the white stuff! Plus you"ll be able to possibly sell it at a profit (or at least for the same price you bought it initially).
Welcome to MR!
Cheers

Thanks for the welcome :D

The car in your signature is a bit rusty for my liking but thank you :)

The Scooby is a good shout, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but I don't own any tools here in CA.

id try for something like a VW Golf/Jetta. Since most garages in the area will be able to get parts "just in case".
Try to put a little bit more so you can get a much more decent car.
Or try used cars dealers, with a 2500$ deposit you could get something pretty good with a 1 year financing. And that could have a trade-in value if you want a new car next year (or 2 years, if it last a bit longer).

clean s14, i love those wheels, can't remember what brand/model are they?

id try for something like a VW Golf/Jetta. Since most garages in the area will be able to get parts "just in case".
Try to put a little bit more so you can get a much more decent car.
Or try used cars dealers, with a 2500$ deposit you could get something pretty good with a 1 year financing. And that could have a trade-in value if you want a new car next year (or 2 years, if it last a bit longer).

clean s14, i love those wheels, can't remember what brand/model are they?

Thanks for the tips

The wheels are Buddyclub P1s (the old ones) very light.

You could get a clean low mileage 7th gen(2001-2005) Civic or Acura 1.7el with that budget. Cheap to maintain and good reliability.

Camry, accord, aerio ( except 2.3L engine ) , matrix/vibe, echo, corolla , civic ( 2001-2005 civic are ok but not as reliable as the 2000 and older models ).

You could get a good condition Nissan Sentra with your budget. A corolla would also be good but they are very expensive used.

Don't have any suggestions but came here to say two things:

First: I can really hear your british accent when I read your posts :D

Second: Cheerio (always wanted to say that lol)

Welcome in Montreal :)

You can get mint late 90's corollas and tercels for $500 easy. The trick when looking for a car is to get out of the city. Urban cars are generally garbage. I've gone to see cars in the city numerous times and they are always finished and overpriced. Once you get away from the greater metropolitan area it's mad easy to score deals and negotiate prices, especially since most people are too lazy to travel a couple hours.

In your budget I wouldn't bother with anything else unless you want to trade a bit of city gas mileage for comfort/durability/and even cheaper and easier to maintain (06+ CVPI or 94-96 B-body). Don't bother with euro, a quick cost/benefit analysis with our local prices will show how much of a waste they are as dd's.

Pas mal sure que ten a jamais posséder une.. Another smartass.

Je comprend ton point mais une A4 à 2500$ ne va pas être fiable. (à moins de tomber sur une vente de succession)

@OP for 2500$ I wouldnt go with a Euro car, I would go domestic or Japanese.

Je comprend ton point mais une A4 à 2500$ ne va pas être fiable. (à moins de tomber sur une vente de succession)

@OP for 2500$ I wouldnt go with a Euro car, I would go domestic or Japanese.

You need to explain why a used Euro premium (Audi BMW MErc) car for 2500$ is not as reliable than a newer Corolla/Civic.... i find that funny

To be different

I vote Chevy Cobalt/ Pontiac pursuit

Main reason, you can get a newer one compared to a Corolla
2.2L with manual has good power, reliable, ok on gas
PArts are cheap

Back