Rustproofing / Anti-rouille

doctor

Just bought a 2011 Odyssey and am considering rustproofing it. Rustproofing was never done on the vehicle but it is absolutely mint so I am guessing it's not too late to start now since we are looking at keeping this vehicle for a while. I was told that the best time of the year to do this is June/July when the temperature is really warm (something about increased penetration of the product because of dilated crack holes). I read a little about the subject but could not get any clear answers but the Krown treatment seemed to be the most popular although I found repeated comments about drips, drilling holes and rubber drying out. Other popular treatments I've read about are from Dura-Tech, Antirouille Metropolitain and Rust Check.

Is there anyone here who works in this field that can enlighten me (and everyone) as to which product (if any!) is most recommended?

Here are my personal concerns/questions:
- Drilling holes! I'm kinda scared about this. Heard stories of the holes being clogged over time, wires being cut in the process and all kinds of problems due to this.
- Drying out rubbers. Read a few reviews stating that over time rubbers dry out and crack, not good!
- Dripping. Read that some products tend to drip alot. This is not a real concern for me as we usually park the vehicle on the street, but curious to find out more nonetheless.
- Undercarriage only or the whole thing? Read about people only treating the undercarriage of their vehicle. Not sure it sounds logical to me but if it's your case, please enlighten us.

Thanks for your help everyone! Je parle aussi français!

My opinion on anti-rust is very negative. It ruins the car with greasy nasty oil in all the door jams, engine bay and trunk. I've also seen to many cars rust around the holes drilled by anti-rust companies. I can't even believe people think drilling holes and exposing bare metal to shoot oil into dry areas is a good idea....

The only anti-rust treatment I do on my car is a paraffin based product and on the undercarriage only, once every 3-4 years. The rest comes down to maintenance. Proper care and some touch up paint will go a long way.

My 94 Golf for example, known to be a generation that rusts, was daily driven from 1993 to 2012, i only once treated the undercarriage with paraffin, here's a pic of it when it was 20 years old, on the original paint job. Its completely anecdotal evidence but that's just my .02$.

DSC_1377.jpg

...I've also seen to many cars rust around the holes drilled by anti-rust companies. I can't even believe people think drilling holes and exposing bare metal to shoot oil into dry areas is a good idea....

I thought exactly like you but after reading up on it a little I realized that maybe drilling some holes makes more sense since the ''dry'' areas are not so dry after all. I'm no expert but I doubt there is much of the exterior body of the car that's completely sealed?! Again, I'm really freaking out about the fact that some drilling might be done to the car and don't think I'll ever get used to the concept but maybe it's the way to go?!

The only anti-rust treatment I do on my car is a paraffin based product and on the undercarriage only, once every 3-4 years. The rest comes down to maintenance. Proper care and some touch up paint will go a long way.

Where do you get that treatment done? I'm guessing it's colorless and odorless and does't drip right?

Nice MKIII btw, I had the exact same one (1994, same colour, 2 door) back in 2002 but it was FULL of rust...Then again, the car was treated like sh!t!

I got Krown last november (a bit lare i know), and it still leaks down my sides after i wash the car and the dirt collects on the grease, looks bad the streaks.. I sure hope it works though. Not sure if they put too much or maybe because i got it done a bit late.

Si vous avez peur que les contour de trous rouillent, une fois rendu chez vous, mettez un peu de graisse in and out. Problem solved. Yes it drips but it stop after a couple of days. Go there on a sunny and warm day, drive the car around in curves (bretelles d autoroute) for 30 min or more and wash it after 3-4 days. You might want to wax the car before going there it helps. I never had any problem what so ever with anti rust on my cars. Im pretty sure you can skip a year, I think going there every year might be a bit overkill.

Just bought a 2011 Odyssey and am considering rustproofing it. Rustproofing was never done on the vehicle but it is absolutely mint so I am guessing it's not too late to start now since we are looking at keeping this vehicle for a while. I was told that the best time of the year to do this is June/July when the temperature is really warm (something about increased penetration of the product because of dilated crack holes). I read a little about the subject but could not get any clear answers but the Krown treatment seemed to be the most popular although I found repeated comments about drips, drilling holes and rubber drying out. Other popular treatments I've read about are from Dura-Tech, Antirouille Metropolitain and Rust Check.

Is there anyone here who works in this field that can enlighten me (and everyone) as to which product (if any!) is most recommended?

Here are my personal concerns/questions:
- Drilling holes! I'm kinda scared about this. Heard stories of the holes being clogged over time, wires being cut in the process and all kinds of problems due to this.
- Drying out rubbers. Read a few reviews stating that over time rubbers dry out and crack, not good!
- Dripping. Read that some products tend to drip alot. This is not a real concern for me as we usually park the vehicle on the street, but curious to find out more nonetheless.
- Undercarriage only or the whole thing? Read about people only treating the undercarriage of their vehicle. Not sure it sounds logical to me but if it's your case, please enlighten us.

Thanks for your help everyone! Je parle aussi français!

I'd say youre more likely of having the rubbers swell up and change shape with over-saturation of petroleum rather than dry up.

Just go to Krown and be done with it.

You don't need to do it every year... Every 2 years is more than enough IMHO.

since I wash my car every week I have to do it every years but for somebody like my gf or the ''average cleaner'' its should be good for 2 years but underneath there is not much left after the winter season even with krown I can tell you

I got mines done at dura tech and so far so good

Yes they drilled holes but they covered it very well and i have no issues at all

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

And for the holes rusting ... when you wash your car just make sure you clean around where they drilled holes so it will prevent it from rusting

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

j'ai besoin d'un anti rouille pour mon ZJ 5.9. C'est où la meilleure place et meilleur prix ?

je suis de rive nord de Montréal / Joliette.

How many years have you been using this product for? Did they drill holes on the body of your car to apply it?

Thanks!
Yes they drill holes but they cover it really well ...I've had it on my z32 for 2,5 years and almost 1 year on my frs and no issues at all

A vehicle has a factory rust proofing, so it doesn't need to be done until the 3 or 4 year mark for the first time anyways. once there, you can do it every 2 years, even with frequent washes as more than that will simply be waste and added "drip".

For those who want the best protection, go off-island as in Montreal, there is a by-law stating that all rust proofing products must be eco-friendly [read: vegetable based] whereas outside of the island still uses the "old" technology which offers better protection and less leaks.

IMO, paraffin undercoating and regular exterior maintenance is the best option, but I understand that some people simply don't want to "waste" time washing their cars regularly.

Back