News: 2016 Acura NSX Burning to the Ground on Nordschleife

kustom

2016-acura-nsx-fire-04.jpg

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/07/2016-acura-nsx-burns-ground-nurburgring.html

Something went horribly wrong when Acura took the new NSX out for testing on the Nurburgring.

The company took its prototype mid-engined hybrid supercar out for testing at the famous German track this week and it didn’t go well. Word from our spy photographer is that the driver wasn’t harmed, but the same is – obviously – not true of the car. Honda is using its new twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission in tandem with a hybrid powertrain to propel the car. Two electric motors power the front wheels while a third electric motor works in the rear.

SEE ALSO: 2016 Acura NSX Spied for First Time at the Nürburgring

That combination is expected to produce somewhere in the ballpark of 500 to 525 hp, although Acura hasn’t officially confirmed those numbers. A company spokesman wasn’t available to comment on the incident at the time this story was published.

Production of the new NSX is expected to begin in February, 2015 at Honda’s Marysville, Ohio facility.

500-525hp from a TT 3.5l V6 + 3 electric motors? Just scrap that hybrid shit that probably started the fire, and make a pure sports car like a real NSX.

500-525hp from a TT 3.5l V6 + 3 electric motors? Just scrap that hybrid shit that probably started the fire, and make a pure sports car like a real NSX.

It's not 1990 anymore. I'd like to see the torque curve on that kind of setup, must be as flat as The Prairies:eek1:

It's not 1990 anymore. I'd like to see the torque curve on that kind of setup, must be as flat as The Prairies:eek1:

True enough. I just wonder where all these new hybrid sports cars will be 15 years from now... Cars are becoming so complicated that buying them used probably won't be a viable option.

But I do find the peak output seems conservative considering MB is getting 350hp from a 2.0l turbo 4.

True enough. I just wonder where all these new hybrid sports cars will be 15 years from now... Cars are becoming so complicated that buying them used probably won't be a viable option.

Its all relative. People used to say the same thing about fuel injection, overhead cams, abs, traction control systems, power options, turbocharged motors, etc, etc, etc. In the 80's people would cringe at the thought of long term maintenance on a car with all that equipment. And now, in 2014, you can buy a used 15 year old car with all that "advanced technology", and its no big deal...

Back