Article: F150 vs Silverado vs RAM vs Tundra. Your choice and why?

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
I love pickups. Their perfect combination of practicality, good looks and coolness factor necessitates that I will, one day, have to buy one. Given that the most sold vehicle in the USA or Canada is the Ford F-Series for many years running (closely followed by the RAM and Silverado/Sierra), it seems that many other people feel the same way.

However if that day was tomorrow I think I would be seriously considering the Toyota Tundra. Why? Well first of all, Toyota reputation for quality and reliability is the first thing that attracts me. Secondly, I find the 2014 Tundra to be the best-looking of the bunch though the new F-150 is definitely interesting. Looks and reliability would lead me to look at Toyota first but I'd definitely take a very good long hard look at all of them before making any decision. I would consult websites like MontrealRacing.com to find out what real owners have to say as well. I won't be buying one likely for a while but why not start a thread about it anyways? After all,. this is what MR is for.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

J’adore les pick-up. La combinaison de leur côté pratique et de leur apparence, mais aussi le fait qu’un camion c’est plutôt cool, vont certainement me mener un jour à en acheter un. Étant donné que le véhicule le plus vendu aux États-Unis ou au Canada est le Ford F-Series, et ce, depuis plusieurs années (suivi toutefois de très près par le RAM et le Silverado/Sierra), il semble que je ne sois pas le seul de cet avis.

Toutefois, si je décidais de me procurer un camion demain, je pense que je considérerais sérieusement le Toyota Tundra. Pourquoi? C’est d’abord la réputation de Toyota en matière de qualité et de fiabilité qui m’attire. Ensuite, je considère que le Tundra 2014 est présentement le camion qui a la plus belle allure sur le marché, quoique le nouveau F-150 est lui aussi définitivement intéressant. Ainsi, l’esthétisme et la fiabilité m’amèneraient à pencher pour le Toyota Tundra, mais je devrais certainement prendre le temps d’analyser tous les modèles sur le marché avant de prendre une décision. Je consulterais des sites web comme celui de MontrealRacing.com afin de connaître l’opinion de propriétaires actuels de camions. Bien qu’il soit plutôt improbable que j’achète un pick-up dans un avenir rapproché, pourquoi ne pas lancer une discussion sur le sujet quand même? Après tout, c’est l’une des raisons d’être de MR.

Si vous avez acheté un pick-up, pourquoi l’avez-vous fait et qu’est-ce qui a motivé votre choix? N’oubliez pas de publier une photo de votre véhicule.

Good review: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1307_2014_toyota_tundra_limited_first_drive/

Found these pics online of amazing-looking 2014 Tundras.

0814tundra01.jpg

0814tundra02.jpg

0814tundra03.jpg

Photo credit: Mike Do from Wisconsin, USA.

This guy doesn't like the Tundra:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/first-drives/2014-toyota-tundra-first-drive-review

Toyota seems to be content with fourth place in the full-size truck market. The aging Tundra gets a much-needed midcycle rehash this year, but the result is a rig that does little to hide its old bones. The Tundra is beset by competition that's sharper than ever, with the new Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra, and Ram 1500 models already on dealer lots, and an all-new Ford F-150 thundering down the pike.
Engineers and designers massaged the 2014 Tundra to address owner woes and improve the aesthetics. But while the changes make for a better truck, they aren’t enough to give buyers a reason to stray from the Big Three....

but then he got ripped in the comments:

Zach your journalism lacks very badly here as you are simply uninformed about trucks in general. I truly am shocked at your poor comments with nothing to back them up except propaganda you read about the other trucks. your drinking the proverbial kool-aid and you should put it down. you make comment about the other trucks being sharper than ever yet they still lag behind the Tundra in SO many key areas that MATTER TO REAL TRUCK PEOPLE. The engines in the tundra have a heat exchanger for the oil and one on the transmission. STANDARD since 2007 yet none of the other trucks have this. internal oiling to control contact temps inside the engine, the others.......... crickets....

you say fit and finish issues? WHERE? the quality fit and finish simply EMBARRASSES the competition! open the doors of the competitors and look at all the seam welds, and check out how all the doors don't line up ect. ect. lavish details of the king ranch? really? nicer than the Lexus LS leather with suede inserts and switches to control things that don't feel like fischer price built them which is what you get in the king ranch and laramie longhorn. nevermind it was named the most reliable truck 7 years in a row! you apparantly have ear plugs in when your drivin your f150, ram, or silverado as the interior of the 14 tundra is pin drop quiet compared to them!

Next you mention fuel economy, which is my FAVORITE. Toyota gives you a modest estimate which is EASILY surpassed as I PERSONALLY get 20 in a 2010 Tundra on highway trips. maybe you should visit the f150 sights and listen to the comments about people NEVER getting the fuel economy claimed on their ecoboosts. meanwhile everyone enjoying their tundra has realized the truck under promises and over delivers unlike the same old lies from the detroit 2 and italian ram.

next you make another empty statement claiming the tundra needs "plenty of revs before making any power" that's comical since 90 percent of the 401lb. ft. of torque is on from ONLY 2200RPM all the way up to 5500 RPM which is BEST IN CLASS if you were to match all the engines up. ITS comical that YOU make it seem as if it makes it only from 3600 and up when it makes MORE at lower RPM than ANY OTHER GAS ENGINE BUILT!

No mention from you about the tundra being the ONLY TRUCK RATED BY THE SAE J2807 tOWING STANDARD, but why would you when none of your other comments match facts........

In final closing the Tundra is less expensive in EVERY package if you compare option for optiion and holds its value in the real world FAR better than any of your competitors. Your journalism is SO POOR that I'm considering CANCELING my subscription! what a TERRIBLE attempt at an unbiased article as you CLEARLY hated the tundra before you ever looked at the 14 model. have a good day and I hope this will force you to rethink printing any more articles this bad.

I knew a lot of peoples(my dad is one of them) who went from F-150 to Tundra and said it was far superior in term of quality and reliability. They will never go back to ford.

If you want to show off with your bells and whistle, then the Tundra is not for you

Not a Tundra, but here a little souvenir, even in 1985 Toyota truck were so beautiful
Texaco_1985.jpg

Last edited:
Si ton seul besoin est de transporter des équipements et te faire plaisir, je dirais all go pour le Toyota...

Si tu utilises ton camion pour le travail de chantier, je dirais Ford...

Nous avons une nouvelles flotte de GMC 2014 au bureau et c'est de la total scrap. Intérieur cheap, pognées de porte qui lousse, moteur de wiper qui meurt soudainement...

Btw, pour mes besoins quotidiens et être dans le marcher pour un pick-up, j'irais avec un Tundra! et je veux une version DIESEL!

Chevrolet Sierra avec le 6.2L pour moi. C'est la technologie la plus récente et le look est vraiment réussi.

GMC-Sierra-2014.jpg

est-ce que les problemes de frame/boite cassé/plier ont été réglé chez le Tundra ? j'en avais vu quelque exemple mais c'était peut etre au début seulement.

chu vendu Dodge, donc ca serais un Ram pour moi.

fwx_03_silverado_ttbedsides_03.jpg

02-ram-runner.jpg

J'ai toujours aimé les Chevrolet et les dodge.

Donc pour moi, ce serait un de ces deux là, et sa la un putain de look! :)

Toyota c est de la modite cochonnerie, GMC pour les job ruff, toyota pour les longue ride confortable, dodge pour la beauté et ford (concept) pour allumer le feu

Coming from my buddy who`s a farmer

If you want reliability - Toyota
If you want looks - Ford, cuz it`s a piece of sh*t for actual work
If you want a truck to work with - Dodge, engine is undestructable but it sucks gas like there`s a hole

Have a tundra. I would probably get another one if I stay with pickups. It's plenty powerful, looks pretty good and all I need to do is change the oil. The fords at work are always busted.

They also have the TRD Pro trim wich is kinda like a raptor but more tamed.

2014_ChicagoAutoShow_Toyota_TRDPro_Family_003.jpg

Ta photo montre un Tacoma et un 4Runner.

De choisir UN pick-up parmi toute la gamme de produits disponibles sans spécifier l'usage qu'on va en faire, le kilométrage annuel, la charge de remorquage prévue et le temps qu'on pense le garder, c'est comme de choisir une berline. Point.

Entre un 1500 et un 3500 tu as un monde de différence. Entre un moteur économique, mais capable de travailler une fois de temps en temps et un monstre de couple turbo-diesel qui va tirer 20 000+ lbs quotidiennement, encore une fois, grande différence.

Si on cherche un pick up style 1500, capable d'en prendre une fois de temps en temps, avec un bonne moyenne dans tout, Toyota s'en viennent vraiment plus difficiles à battre à chaque nouvelle génération. Sauf que, pour les purs et durs de camions américain, un Toyota c'est un sacrilège.

J'ai un Tacoma V6 sr5 crew cab pour le travail et ce camion est probablement le meilleur camion que j'aie conduit de ma vie (jamais essayé de Tundra, mais j'ai touché à Ford, GMC et Dodge). J'ose croire que le Tundra se tient dans les mêmes eaux. On en voit de plus en plus partout sur la route et sur les chantiers alors ça doit être bon signe!

D'un autre côté, le Ram 1500 avec le V8 est vraiment super beau aussi et quel son! En V6 c'est un ivrogne cependant. Idem pour le Ecoboost de Ford qui ne tire pas assez, n'est pas vraiment économique, manque de force assez vite et, en plus, n'a pas une super bon renommée au niveau de la fiabilité. Les V6 et V8 au gaz GMC sont issus d'une loooooongue lignée de moteur pas tuables. Les transmissions sont cependant plus souvent à terre (à mon expérience) que chez Ram ou Ford. Comme quoi chaque véhicule a ses force et faiblesses.

Back