E92 328xi engine knocking noise ???

skylox

Legacy Member
Hey guys , my brother in law got a e92 328 and it's making a knocking noise at idle. When u cold start the car , there is no noise . The noise starts to appear as the engine warms up . It seems to quiet down if not completly disappear when u give the car gas or hold it at 2-3k rpm or more .

Been doing some research on the bimmer forums and YouTube etc but nothing really comes back as the same issues always some difference .

This video kinda sounds like his car with the exception of the noise staying at higher rpm .this is not his car

Any ideas would be apreciated before he makes a mistake and unloads the car for dirt cheap because he's panicking. Thanks

In some instances, lifter tick can be greatly reduced, if not eliminated, by using additives to clean and flush the engine. If additives are not your thing, you can go for a heavier oil, i.e. from a w30 to a w40.

edit: Looked into this a little more, this might interest your brother: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320299

Last edited:
I have the same issue (my car has the same engine). When I wait too long before an oil change the lifters tick like crazy. I've reduced my interval to 6-7000km on castrol Syntec 0w-30. I may try a heavier oil next time.

The head of the n52 was revised in 2009 for this issue because the engine would lose oil compression and cause a tick. Its embarassing but it will not harm your engine (so I've been told by a few mechanics). There's tons of info on various forums about this. I don't worry about mine.

To late he sold the car, 9500 and it was mint with maybe 120k . I woulda bought it if It wasn't auto

I have the same issue (my car has the same engine). When I wait too long before an oil change the lifters tick like crazy. I've reduced my interval to 6-7000km on castrol Syntec 0w-30. I may try a heavier oil next time.

The head of the n52 was revised in 2009 for this issue because the engine would lose oil compression and cause a tick. Its embarassing but it will not harm your engine (so I've been told by a few mechanics). There's tons of info on various forums about this. I don't worry about mine.

my X3 does it also, i have an extended warranty, so i'll mention it everytime i go to the dealer.
so if it gets worst, they will replace a few parts. they actually issued a Service bulletin (which is not the same as a recall).

Back