Article: Stopped by a Hyundai Voloster with a plate scanner? What happened here?

I have yet to see a car booted for no reason whatsoever.

It's either:

A) a repo company and if it is they own said vehicle and the driver can't do jack shit about it
B) it is a private company working on behalf of the city with a mandate to recuperate money from unpaid registration/ticket.

Both of these conditions can be solved by PAYING YOUR FRIKKIN BILLS!

The scanner only makes the process easier than having someone looking at plates and checking a paper list.

Wow if someone put a boot on my car I'd be maaaaaad...

Although, i wouldn't anything and just call the police lol.

The question is even bigger. If two unmarked vehicles try to box me in, you better damn believe that we will have a chase on our hands as in my mind, unmarked vehicles have NO DAMNED AUTHORITY to pull anyone over. Much less to put a boot on a car.

Even in the USA when you're reposessing cars that haven't been paid, they will almost never stop you in traffic and will always have some deputy or police officer there to assist.

I'd like to see an unmarked Veloster try and pull me over. GTA ensues...

^ the best course of action would be to call 911 and explain what's happening, maybe tell them the plate number.
Police officers are pretty much required to identify themselves either by flashers/cruiser or verbally (then again if a cop pulls you over you know it's a cop).
If some unmarked vehicle without flashers tried that to me, my phone would already have my lawyer dialed.

I think the timeline in this situation is as follows.

1. Scanning car (Veloster or Escape) scans plate of parked Infiniti (no driver present)
2. Scan reveals outstanding tickets
3. The city is called and they come boot the Infiniti
4. Boot is installed, driver of Infiniti shows up after boot is installed (and scan team still present)
5. Curious onlookers start creeping by and interpret the situation as though the Veloster and Escape pulled over the Infiniti WHILE the driver was in the car. That's an insane assumption.

@Dubweiser these guys dont get paid untill boot is installed, Infinitty driver probably showed up before the city hence why they boxed her in.

C'est clair que c'est des policiers selon moi
SRCS ou ASFC

C'est des huissiers ou des sous traitants.

they can put a boot on parked cars? What if the car is parked there for days and was not driven after the license expired?

Well, they certainly can't put a boot on a moving car!

I seriously doubt she was booted for expired plates, we need more info.

I have mixed feeling about this technology. Don't steal cars, keep your plates up to date and you should be ok. I heard about this like 10 years ago, surprised we're just hearing about it being used now. I have more of an issue with speed cameras that ticket you for going 8km/h above the limit.

If you think this is bad, just wait a few years...

C'est SCRS, pas SRCS. ASFC =/ police btw.

Et quoique c'est possible, j'pense pas que ce soit le cas. Trop "flashy".

N'importe qui avec un peu de cash peut acheter des lecteurs de plaques et ainsi trouver des correspondances avec des bases de données privées.

Y'a rien de privé par rapport à une plaque (un numéro) en tant que tel. Ce sont les renseignements qui y sont attachés qui peuvent l'être. Par exemple, la base de données de la SAAQ ou les différentes bases de données rattachées sont confidentielles et réservées à un usage par des agents de la paix.

+1

le scanner en tant que tel y'a rien d'illégal, ça va juste plus vite que lire et comparer avec une feuille de papier (version old chool) ou de faire ctlr-f dans excel pour une liste (version mid-scool) ou de taper le numéro dans une base de données (verison new school)

le scanner fait juste automatiser.

tant que c'est pas connecté à la base de données de la SAAQ je vois pas le problème.

and it's probably not because of expired plates, if there is a boot it's because it's either a non-payment of the car or other debts or something related.

a22e13f8ba6814ac8b634fcc2a1f7a4f.jpg

07d6f04701831cc3544b9ab4f5014f34.jpg

Videotron was parked illegaly and driver was absent. Bailiff installed the boot, waited a little and then left. In back of the notice it was written "AVIS" in french, not avis as in avis car rental from previous speculations

C'est des huissier, il y a eu un documentaire a canal D cet ete sur ca, par contre les gars rentrait la plaque manuellement dans le systeme, maintenant c'est juste automatise avec le lecteur de plaque, by the way ma mere travail pour la compagnie qui fabrique les scanners

Back