Please disable adblock while browsing MR

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
The amount of users using adblock software while browsing MR has caused revenue to decrease significantly. We rely on revenue from display ads in order to run the site, pay for hosting, pay our photographers etc. Without ad revenue there is no MontrealRacing. By installing adblocker you are directly harming the site. You are preventing us from getting the revenue needed in order to run it.

You don't need to click on ads. Simply by browsing the site, you are helping generate revenue. The impact on page load time is about 1.5 seconds. This is not unreasonable.

Moving forward adblock users will be shown a popup asking them ti disable it with every click. Thank you for your cooperation.

Edit (posted on page 17): It saddens me that so many users felt offended by by actions so I want to say this:

I didn't go about this the right way and I sincerely regret the error. What I should have done is let users know that I think adblock is hurting revenue. The offer I should have made right off the bat was to remove the In-Image ads because they were so unpopular and then ask people if they would mind disabling adblocker while browsing the site. I think many people were not aware that ads generate revenue on every page load so perhaps they were unaware of the harm they were causing and would gladly have agreed.

Three people were banned when I felt I was being personally attacked but as a site owner I need to be impervious to thing kind of thing and I usually know better. They have all been unbanned.

I understand this incident may affect your image of myself and MR and I accept that. I hope we can eventually put this behind us.

Adblock

Pas vrai que je vais continuer à naviguer avec ce pop-up là à chaque refresh de page.

En faisant chier ceux qui utilisent adblock tu réduit le traffic sur ton site,

Moins de traffic sur ton site = les annonces offrent moins cher,

Donc tu te ramasse avec un forum qui va perdre sa clientèle mais tu va faire les mêmes profits, si pas moins en bout de ligne pour au final en arriver à la mort de MR.

Dont do it.

Les add sur les images... Tu sais que c'est ce qui a causé la colère des gens. J'avais jamais mis adblock sur mon browser avant les fameuses add sur les images. Et pire encore, il est activé seulement sur MR, parce que c'est le seul site que je trouve envahissant comme ça.

Si les add sur les images partent, je desactive adablock sans hésiter, il me semble que c'est un moindre compromis!

Taking note of all the users who actively try and harm this community. Your accounts can be terminated with one click. I'm really not impressed at all with many of you.

Taking note of all the users who actively try and harm this community. Your accounts can be terminated with one click. I'm really not impressed at all with many of you.
Did you read what I said? As many people are pointing out, they installed Adblock BECAUSE of the stupid ads on the picture, it's THAT intrusive.

Dany, trust me, you dont want to start a war with this... everybody's going to lose.

Did you read what I said? As many people are pointing out, they installed Adblock BECAUSE of the stupid ads on the picture, it's THAT intrusive.

Dany, trust me, you dont want to start a war with this... everybody's going to lose.

X2 j'avais jamais utiliser adbloc avant d'avoir une pub par photo

How in the fuck is revenue going down because of adblock man?

Unless the company who provides the ads has a way to definitely confirm if the ad has been displayed or not on any given page, your statement is not true and I hope other webmasters who are members will debunk that shit.

MR is the only forum I have ever seen that just plasters ads over it's member's pictures like we were okay with our own cars, dogs, cats, girlfriends, houses, last purchases, memes, etc to be used as a vehicle for a dated marketing tactic.

That's a lack of fucking respect towards the people who provide the content that other people come here to see. We are the reason this website is as big as it is right now, and the content that we create for it is the reason why you're making that dough on us anyway, so show some respect and take your shit off of our pictures, that's all we ever asked.

Don't bother banning me, you won't have to.

Later Dan.

Dunno if danny remove my post or if its the merge of the other one, but...

If DannyITR dont remove this javascript alert, I am pretty sur I can do a userscript with greasemonkey or whatsoever to remove the popup. Then you only need to install greasemonkey and my script. You dont need to remove adblock and its fucking stupid for a webmaster to block the site for the users with adblock.

quelqu'un va trouver un moyen de bloquer les pop up a danny.

inquieter vous pas.

pour ma part chu jsute trop cave pour programmer qqc

Nope ça pop encore.

Oui tu as raison. Mais c'est un simple script js écrit en dur directement dans le code source, donc apparemment facile à bloquer avec greasemonkey ou scriptish. Je ne connais pas vraiment ça donc j'ai demandé à quelqu'un qui fait pas mal de js de le faire pour moi.

Messemble dans le temps MR marchait 2 fois plus qu'aujourd'hui et que y'avait pas de pub ...

C'est le premier forum que je vois faire ça à ses membres. J'dois le dire j'suis très étonner.

Back