Major Pig Infestation on St-Charles (West Island)

...If there's no other car or other obstructions on the road/highway why not drive as fast as 1) The road conditions allow 2) You are comfortable going 3) The condition of your car allows. When you finally encounter a car reduce your speed to around theirs and continue in safety.

Sorry, I gotta chime in here. This is absolute nonsense. All 3 of your "checks" have one major flaw...they are all dependent on the judgement of the driver. If the person driving the car is an irresponsible dare devil who thinks he's a god behind the wheel when in fact he's an inexperienced asshat he may feel very comfortable driving at 180km/h in the middle of a blizzard with worn out winter tires. The rest of the people sharing the road with this person would be at risk because of his poor judgement.

I never understand these posts where people complain about the police doing their job when it comes to traffic violations. I have a great idea...don't drive like a moron and you'll all have nothing to worry about!

Sorry, I gotta chime in here. This is absolute nonsense. All 3 of your "checks" have one major flaw...they are all dependent on the judgement of the driver. If the person driving the car is an irresponsible dare devil who thinks he's a god behind the wheel when in fact he's an inexperienced asshat he may feel very comfortable driving at 180km/h in the middle of a blizzard with worn out winter tires. The rest of the people sharing the road with this person would be at risk because of his poor judgement.

I never understand these posts where people complain about the police doing their job when it comes to traffic violations. I have a great idea...don't drive like a moron and you'll all have nothing to worry about!

because this isn't Russia? police use the GUISE of safety to rack up the tickets quota because in all actuality these same cops drive up and down st-charles doing 80km on a reg basis themselves!

I'd have to say that a CONSERVATIVE estimate ratio of the tickets given to make money vs ticket given for actual unsafe driving is probably in the 60/40 vicinity or so.

RADAR TRAPS on Galipeault every Sunday morning since this spring handing out 90km/h tickets in a 70 zone.

STOP SIGN TRAPS in residential areas like Tecumseh and/or De Salaberry for example.

Running a red light at 2AM in a deserted industrial area of VSLaurent.

None of the above examples are any more dangerous than taking a walk down any sidewalk near a park in Montreal North at night by yourself. You don't get a ticket for that now do you?

because this isn't Russia? police use the GUISE of safety to rack up the tickets quota because in all actuality these same cops drive up and down st-charles doing 80km on a reg basis themselves!

So basically what you're saying is if the cops are allowed to do it then we should be allowed as well?

I'd have to say that a CONSERVATIVE estimate ratio of the tickets given to make money vs ticket given for actual unsafe driving is probably in the 60/40 vicinity or so.

RADAR TRAPS on Galipeault every Sunday morning since this spring handing out 90km/h tickets in a 70 zone.

STOP SIGN TRAPS in residential areas like Tecumseh and/or De Salaberry for example.

Running a red light at 2AM in a deserted industrial area of VSLaurent.

None of the above examples are any more dangerous than taking a walk down any sidewalk near a park in Montreal North at night by yourself. You don't get a ticket for that now do you?

I disagree. Firstly it's not against the law to walk down the street in Montreal North at night by yourself. I can't comment on how safe it is because I've never lived there, but it's your choice to walk. You aren't endangering anyone by walking there at night. In terms of the speed traps on the Galipeault, the speed limit on that stretch of the highway has been 70km/h for ages, reason being there is a stoplight with a level crossing right after the bridge. The last thing we need is for cars travelling at 120kmh+ barreling towards an intersection. Look up the history of the old woodland/20 intersection, you'll understand why. Stop sign traps in residential areas makes perfect sense to me. I can't begin to tell you the number of times I've seen people blow stop signs and almost hit a kid running into the street or crossing an intersection because a car didn't stop. I live in Kirkland and I can tell you that the stop sign in front of my house is blown by about 80% of cars. As a parent this pisses me off; one day it could be my kid who runs into the street and gets killed. And as for blowing a redlight at 2am on a deserted industrial area, this is just asking for trouble. I'd like to see the look on your face as you pass through an intersection only to realize that some a$$hole burned a red light because he figured it was late enough and there would be nobody around.

I really don't understand what the big deal is guys. Next time you find yourself speeding or wanting to blow a red light/stop-sign ask yourself this; What's the rush and am I prepared to suffer the consequences if I get caught.

I hate how when we always have these debates there's always someone who's so by-the-book telling people you're risking people's lives every time you do some little thing here or there. Oh, you went through a red light going 65 in a 50 zone at 4:30 am in completely deserted industrial zone, you could've killed someone, how could you?! Of course I'm slightly exaggerating but still, shut the fuck up no one wants to hear your goody-two shoes law abiding ass, like you've never done anything ''wrong'' before. It just annoys the shit out of me hearing these Helen Lovejoys all the time. Yes there are plenty of dumbasses out there who do stupid shit and deserve to get caught and penalized for, but come on fuck, we all do 70 to 80 on St-Charles from time to time with no danger.

/rant

When i lived there, there was a pig cop who was almost everyday on Creswell gunning everyone over 70km/h on Stcharles northbound

That scumbag hiding behind the stop sign. He caught me at 71 km/h on a friday at 13h00. I was alone with 3 lanes to myself. He then had the balls to tell me it was about public security instead of just shutting up. He got a nice complaint in deontology.

I agree with you that it is a "flaw" of sorts but it's also an exception. Considering the amount of road users this account for a very small set of drivers. At that point that's what cops should be there for, stopping those who present an obvious danger to others.

Personally, I complain and get very angry because the city mismanages our tax money, doesn't have enough to pay for the cops and then the cops have quotas to further balance the budget based on road speeds that are not representative of the speed the majority of drivers travel.

I highly suggest people read the Texas DOT procedure for setting speed limits. 85th Percentile. For the TL;DR, Set the speed based on what 85% of the drivers would drive naturally.

Firstly if we did that here, based on my driving experience I'd expect to see service roads at 65 or 70kph, Decarie and the 720 would be at 90-110kph and inter city highways (20/401 or 40/17) at 120-130kph. If those were in fact the speed limits then you wouldn't hear me ranting about the police "doing their job" because at that point they actually would be keeping the roads safe from idiots.

In terms of the speed traps on the Galipeault, the speed limit on that stretch of the highway has been 70km/h for ages, reason being there is a stoplight with a level crossing right after the bridge. The last thing we need is for cars travelling at 120kmh+ barreling towards an intersection. I agree with you completely here based on the fact that if traffic is stopped at the light you have a HUGE speed delta and a crash wouldn't be pretty

Stop sign traps in residential areas makes perfect sense to me. I can't begin to tell you the number of times I've seen people blow stop signs and almost hit a kid running into the street or crossing an intersection because a car didn't stop. I live in Kirkland and I can tell you that the stop sign in front of my house is blown by about 80% of cars. As a parent this pisses me off; one day it could be my kid who runs into the street and gets killed.
In my books a residential zone strictly with houses if fair game in my books and the police can ticket as many speeders as they want in this area but I i would like to clarify the stop sign traps. Unfortunately under the law you don't come to a complete stop and it's a ticket. So a person who rolls through a stop at 8kph because they don't want to shift back into first is ticketed the same as somebody who burns it at 40. It's up to the cops discretion and if his wife ripped him a new one the night before or they are a power tripping A-hole that 8kph roll will net you 3-points and the opportunity to give your money to for a brown envelop.

And as for blowing a redlight at 2am on a deserted industrial area, this is just asking for trouble. I'd like to see the look on your face as you pass through an intersection only to realize that some a$$hole burned a red light because he figured it was late enough and there would be nobody around.
This is putting faith in good judgement. You have to assume the person properly checked before proceeding. I don't agree with it but if someone does it safely who cares.The best solution would be to implement a sensor grid that changes the light upon someone approaching to remove this situation altogether

I really don't understand what the big deal is guys. Next time you find yourself speeding or wanting to blow a red light/stop-sign ask yourself this; What's the rush and am I prepared to suffer the consequences if I get caught.
Your actions, your repercussions however the laws are there so that we may live in a society harmoniously. The anger and frustration occurs when these officers of the "peace" use them to collect money by following them to the letter instead of using good judgement.

All traffic laws should be prima facie but tell the judge you rolled through a stop at 5 kph at 11pm with no other cars around and he/she'll laugh and slam down the gavel guilty.

my god.....u girls should take the sand out of ur collective vagina!!!!!

Doing 70 in a 50 zone should not be a criminal offence!!! we shouldn't get tickets for it either. It juste a way to make money!

I think we can all agree that our speed limits are too low!!!

And loool its actually way more dangerous to walk around mtl north anytime of the day then to be doing 150 in a 30 zone, on summer tires in an ice storm!!!

seriously....st charles, sources, st jean...we are talking about a fucking THREE LANE BOULEVARD with next to no pedestrians crossing it...and when they cross, its because the drivers have a red light.

50 limit for a 3 lane bld is a joke, and a money making scheme, that is all.

Moi je rajouterai rien parce que je suis découragée. Mais, à lire certaines personne, la Province de Québec est une parfaite grande piste de course où il n'y a pas de nid de poule, 3 voies de large partout, aucun enfant ou piéton et ou le soleil brille tout le temps. Let's race!!!

Personally I feel the traffic cops are not present enough in the wi, too manu ti-couns boosting and speeding in the small residential areas, if your not breaking the law you have nothing to worry about. On a daily basis i see soccor moms flying through stop signs almost hitting other cars.....

Moi je rajouterai rien parce que je suis découragée. Mais, à lire certaines personne, la Province de Québec est une parfaite grande piste de course où il n'y a pas de nid de poule, 3 voies de large partout, aucun enfant ou piéton et ou le soleil brille tout le temps. Let's race!!!

Peut tu me donner une exemple dans ce thread appart du dernier commentaire par Lt_Crazy (qui etait une exaggeration je pense) ou ca prouve ce que tu dis?

Peut tu me donner une exemple dans ce thread appart du dernier commentaire par Lt_Crazy (qui etait une exaggeration je pense) ou ca prouve ce que tu dis?

C'est exagéré dans mon cas aussi ;) Mais je trouve personnellement que, en enlevant mon exagération de course de rue, le monde pense souvent que si ou ça n'a pas un grand impacte, c'est jamais bien grave, la police exagère toujours, eux jamais, rien de ce qu'ils font n'est jamais dangereux, la vie est parfaite et belle et ils ont raison, la police ne sert à rien sauf à la faire chier parce qu'ils sont encore dans une genre de phase adolescente "F*ck the world". :rolleyes: Mon opinion ceci dit....

I hate how when we always have these debates there's always someone who's so by-the-book telling people you're risking people's lives every time you do some little thing here or there. Oh, you went through a red light going 65 in a 50 zone at 4:30 am in completely deserted industrial zone, you could've killed someone, how could you?! Of course I'm slightly exaggerating but still, shut the fuck up no one wants to hear your goody-two shoes law abiding ass, like you've never done anything ''wrong'' before. It just annoys the shit out of me hearing these Helen Lovejoys all the time. Yes there are plenty of dumbasses out there who do stupid shit and deserve to get caught and penalized for, but come on fuck, we all do 70 to 80 on St-Charles from time to time with no danger.

/rant

hahahahahahahaha you don't post often but this is simply pure gold!!!

Quand 85% de la population roule a 70 sur tel boul, c'est pas la population qui est dans le tord mais la limite de vitesse et les policiers pion qui l'enforce.

/rant

hahahahahahahaha you don't post often but this is simply pure gold!!!

Back