5K Daily driver or project car.. I need ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fusion is pretty new, i haven't driven one yet. But it got good reviews on its handling from many places. It's the same platform as a Mazda 6 so i'm not surprised.

Meh I'd still get that. Gas prices really don't concern me when it comes to my cars.

Let's be rational here.

The guy wants a daily.

You get a big, heavy V8, and it'll cost you twice as much in gas as a lighter 4 cylinder car.

As a project or weekend car, I would love to have a Camaro (particularly the older 1978 ish models). But as a daily, it's money badly spent. Why pay 800$ a month in gas when you can spend 400$.

I don't see how you can disagree with that. I'd rather have a one nighter with Gene Shalit than drive a V8 f-body as a daily.

honnestly...nothing.....i think :D

but seriously i really found it has sharp handling compared to many cars in its class. Even a regular non-gtp GP that i tossed around backroads around Tremblant last year felt pretty good.

The GTP has crisp, shard, responsive handling.

If all you've ever driven is a canal barge.

Let's be rational here.

The guy wants a daily.

You get a big, heavy V8, and it'll cost you twice as much in gas as a lighter 4 cylinder car.

As a project or weekend car, I would love to have a Camaro (particularly the older 1978 ish models). But as a daily, it's money badly spent. Why pay 800$ a month in gas when you can spend 400$.

I don't see how you can disagree with that. I'd rather have a one nighter with Gene Shalit than drive a V8 f-body as a daily.

I have a 79 Camaro as a summer car and it's 20$ for every 80km. In one week I once blew 200$ in gas just cruising around, but who cares since it makes me happy. I agree with the daily part, My daily has 1.6L/105hp, it costs 40$ a week in gas and gets 500 kms a tank.

The point I am trying to make is that you really can't use a daily as project car for obvious reason. We both know what it is like to drive around on stiff suspension with low profiles etc. If his car is going to be solely a project then get the Camaro because it will be money well spent if not find something else. Just stay away from older euros because it will always be broken down :p

The GTP has crisp, shard, responsive handling.

If all you've ever driven is a canal barge.

All he has driven are Dacia's

That's about 25L/100km. :laugh:

Yeah about and thats on the highway... My round trip is around 80km's maybe 90 max. When I get off at my exit by my house the tank is pretty much empty. During normal cruising IE not reving it will consume much less

Oh well thats the price I pay for classic car motoring.. crappy gas mileage and brakes that don't slow the car down. But I do have around 350ft lbs of torque at about 2000rpm so I have the added advantage of a smoke screen:p

Nice.. this thread is becoming interesting haha

Anyway, for Gregster and Dubweiser. I did write daily or project but it's true I'm leaning more toward a daily to replace my current car.. but at the very least I'd like a decent car I could modify a bit.

The Camaro is a sweet idea for a weekend car but too heavy for me.. it's what, 3400 pounds I think? It does pack power but with too big of an engine. For economy's sake and since I don't quite see the point of it, I'd rather not get anything beyond the 3 liter or so area.

As for any VWs, they are nice cars.. but I just don't want another right now. It'd be kinda stupid to go back to another Golf as well. And.. well, kinda of a big downsize after a Benz (no offense anyone)

Should I add Ladas to the list of possible cars for me? :p

Also just checked something.. I've seen a few '98 Volvo S70 T5 for 5K$. I know Volvo has a reputation for long lasting engines.. what about this one? Is it worth considering?

Nice and quick cars but expensive maintenance and probably insurance also and u have to like the squarish old style look they have.
It's definetely worth to try one out though.

forget about the 240sx. seriously..... those car are garbage if you are not familiar with mechanic.
And rust.... you can't imagine until you have one.

For the rest, it's up to you but don't even look at them, they are quite interesting to watch but after that... it's a 15 years old car.......

Also just checked something.. I've seen a few '98 Volvo S70 T5 for 5K$. I know Volvo has a reputation for long lasting engines.. what about this one? Is it worth considering?

I love the S70 T5's. nice ride, quick, with a cheap chip upgrade you are at close to 300hp and they still look nice (imo).

At 5k i'd say it needs atleast 2k-3k in repairs. The turbo seals will 100% shot and the oil cooler lines will be leaking. Also the rear calipers will most likely need rebuilding. I can go on and on. I know Volvos pretty damn good.

Nice and quick cars but expensive maintenance and probably insurance also and u have to like the squarish old style look they have.
It's definetely worth to try one out though.

Insurance will be nothing for that year but the parts are still pricey. Most young people would be scared the prices. OMGWTF 150$ for a table.... 70$ for an oil change. 500$ for a turbo rebuild

J'ai eu mon golf 4 vr pendant presque 3 ans. Super agreable comme auto avec les Pss9 c'était super le fun. Mais matin soir fatigué a aller travaillier c'est vien fatiguant en modit c'est une des raison que je l'ai vendu. J'était pu capable de le prendre a toute les jour. Une auto modifié de mon coté cava toujours etre une 2ieme auto. My 2 cent puis pour les camaro pis toute tu peut te payer une autre auto la semaine juste avec le gaz que ca te couterai lol !

forget about the 240sx. seriously..... those car are garbage if you are not familiar with mechanic.
And rust.... you can't imagine until you have one.

For the rest, it's up to you but don't even look at them, they are quite interesting to watch but after that... it's a 15 years old car.......

That's the thing though.. most fun car, especially RWD, are usually very old. Most of them now are FWDs which I don't find as much fun. Maybe I should just get on the train and drive what everyone else drives but it's just isn't appealing.

This isn't aimed at you, just stating that in general. :run:

At 5k i'd say it needs atleast 2k-3k in repairs. The turbo seals will 100% shot and the oil cooler lines will be leaking. Also the rear calipers will most likely need rebuilding. I can go on and on. I know Volvos pretty damn good.

Insurance will be nothing for that year but the parts are still pricey. Most young people would be scared the prices. OMGWTF 150$ for a table.... 70$ for an oil change. 500$ for a turbo rebuild

Yeah, it seems common on the S70 (read it on some reviews). The ad I saw seemed to come from a dealer so there has got to be some sort of warranty or something.
Aside from that, how is the reliability of the car?
150$ for one table does sound kind of expensive.. Can the prices really be different than a Benz? Oil I'm not really surprised and such. I'm used to 6 liters of synthetic oil every couple months. :D

Now one other car that just popped in my mind was the MK1 MR2 (SC/t-top). The mid-engine/RWD setup sounds very tempting. Is it true that the mid-engine would be a lot more expensive to fix?
(sorry, I know it's getting to alot of questions but I want as many ideas as possible. Hopefully someone else can one day use this thread too!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back