5K Daily driver or project car.. I need ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Il travaillait dans un Garage de voiture Europenne.. mais ouais, apres un certain temp j'ai quand meme changer de mecanicien. On avait changer plusieurs piece et sa regler le probleme temporairement. Je vais peut etre repenser au VW (c'etait plaisant et le moteur est solide). Elles ne sont pas encore completement barre de ma liste.. mais je veux encore quelques idees.

I have fully loaded electric EVERYTHING on my Volks and never had one single electrical problem...but it's a Beetle TDI...My sisters '99 Jetta had every problem existing, not to mention the crappiest engine ever (2.0)

Few suspension mods and its great handling, also fuel economy and engine reliabilty (diesels are indestructable)

You can upgrade turbo vnt 17, 600$
upgrade injectors, $200
upgrade fuel pump, $500
ecu chip, 350$
Few other cheap mods and you will have over 350ft-lbs (but only about 180hp) at the wheels and better on gas than a Yaris. Once you get used to the powerband, if makes a really fun car to drive

j ai eu une mk4 1.8t et j avoue avoir eu quelques probleme electrique, mais tous tres simple a reparer pour qqun qui est habituer de travailler du VW

pis a ce prix la tu peut meme trouver un mk2 avec un 1.8t dedans ou une corrado faut juste pas etre presser pis chercher

une MK2 bien monter ca vraiment du style je trouve

if u dont; mind Auto and fwd u could look into a Grand Prix GTP, u can find a few at around 5K, it;s very comfy and roomy (compared to Golf and other stuff people suggested) has tons of power, easily modifiable, cheap parts, pretty reliable and has power in the low rpm range.

A V6 MAxima is also a good deal, manual especially.

A drove a GTP yesterday (for the first time) Its not a bad sedan, but for a preformance oriented car I felt like a was sailing the high seas

Right now I'd like to limit the budget to 5K$...

Preferences (not a must for all but would be nice..):
Manual
RWD
Good to great handling (a must)
Somewhat comfy
Reliable
Power.
The way I see it, you're looking at something like a Fox-body Mustang or an old BMW. You can find an E21 323is, E30 325is, E28 535is, or E34 535i all within your budget.

If I could only have one car to daily drive (including winter driving) and still enjoy on the weekends (including on the track) with a $5K budget and all the critera you've outlined, I would take an E28 535i or 535is. You can even find some Euro versions within your budget.

Then again, a solid 5.0L Mustang can be lots of fun, too. Parts and maintenance will be easier/cheaper than the BMW for sure.

Emre

I have fully loaded electric EVERYTHING on my Volks and never had one single electrical problem...but it's a Beetle TDI...My sisters '99 Jetta had every problem existing, not to mention the crappiest engine ever (2.0)

Few suspension mods and its great handling, also fuel economy and engine reliabilty (diesels are indestructable)

You can upgrade turbo vnt 17, 600$
upgrade injectors, $200
upgrade fuel pump, $500
ecu chip, 350$
Few other cheap mods and you will have over 350ft-lbs (but only about 180hp) at the wheels and better on gas than a Yaris. Once you get used to the powerband, if makes a really fun car to drive

Yeah, VW engines are great. I really have nothing to re-say about that. It's just all the rest around the engine that worries me. Any way, as I've said, I still haven't completely ruled out VWs.. and the diesel idea is rather tempting. Any special year is better or worse than another?

j ai eu une mk4 1.8t et j avoue avoir eu quelques probleme electrique, mais tous tres simple a reparer pour qqun qui est habituer de travailler du VW

pis a ce prix la tu peut meme trouver un mk2 avec un 1.8t dedans ou une corrado faut juste pas etre presser pis chercher

une MK2 bien monter ca vraiment du style je trouve

Une MK2 avec un 1.8T me parait un peu dangereux.. niveau repartition du poid c'est bon?

if u dont; mind Auto and fwd u could look into a Grand Prix GTP, u can find a few at around 5K, it;s very comfy and roomy (compared to Golf and other stuff people suggested) has tons of power, easily modifiable, cheap parts, pretty reliable and has power in the low rpm range.

A V6 MAxima is also a good deal, manual especially.

A drove a GTP yesterday (for the first time) Its not a bad sedan, but for a preformance oriented car I felt like a was sailing the high seas

Thanks guys. I'll put the GTP on the bottom of the list, it's worth a try. Didn't think at all about it.. great idea!

Anybody has any other idea that hasn't been offered yet?

The way I see it, you're looking at something like a Fox-body Mustang or an old BMW. You can find an E21 323is, E30 325is, E28 535is, or E34 535i all within your budget.

If I could only have one car to daily drive (including winter driving) and still enjoy on the weekends (including on the track) with a $5K budget and all the critera you've outlined, I would take an E28 535i or 535is. You can even find some Euro versions within your budget.

Then again, a solid 5.0L Mustang can be lots of fun, too. Parts and maintenance will be easier/cheaper than the BMW for sure.

Emre

Thanks for the reply,

E30s and E34 have striked my interest.. but the E21 and E28 never got so much my attention. Mainly for the fact I prefer the gen after them. Is there a really big difference between the E30/21 and E34/28 ?:dunno:
As for the E30/34, I know they have pretty good power out of the box but what possibilites are open to me if I'm looking to a bit more? Say the 200-250hp range, while retaining good reliability and a decent engine size. Bolt-ons mods or engine swap?

I'll add up the 'Stang, too. Forgot about that one. I don't find the looks of the ones in my budget too attractive and never had a good experience with Ford but it might be worth a shot.. Thanks!

I just bought an super mint MK2 jetta for 1500$. Bought it with blown rear shocks, and a bad master cylinder. Aside from those parts, haven't had any problems with it. Everything works on the car, and I can't really imagine what else I could buy for that price that could be so enjoyable to drive. I actually look forward to driving it. Chicks dig it too. So does my sister, who hates *old* cars, but this one drives so nice it doesn't feel like an old car. Chicks dig it too. For the price, you get wheels and pussy.

The only other car for under 5K I would get is an E30, but at that price expect to dump some more dinero into it, so it can run like a BMW should.

You can find 93-94 LT1 powered 6 Sp Camaros for that price nowdays. It will run high 13s out of the box and can be made to handle pretty damn good.

Is there a really big difference between the E30/21 and E34/28 ?:dunno:
Huge. The E30 is far and away the best in terms of handling...in the dry. In the snow, they're quite a handful. The E21 is quite a handful in any conditions!

The E28 and E34 are drift machines. They are very progressive and very easy to drive at the limit. They have a more sophisticated rear suspension and are not prone to the "snappy" oversteer that the E30 and especially the E21 are known for. You could easily run an E28 or E34 all year round...even in snow and ice. All you need are the right tires.

To put things in perspective, in the BMW Club, many of our members choose an E28 as their winter beater. That should give you an idea of how forgiving they are in the snow!

As for the E30/34, I know they have pretty good power out of the box but what possibilites are open to me if I'm looking to a bit more? Say the 200-250hp range, while retaining good reliability and a decent engine size. Bolt-ons mods or engine swap?
You can't get much more power out of the M20 engines. If you want big power, stay away from the 325 and 525 models.

However, the M30 engine in the 535i is a real powerhouse. That same basic engine was used in BMW's famous 3.0 CSL "Batmobile" race cars in the 1970's. With triple Weber DCOE carbs, Schrick cams, oversized valves, etc. you can easily approach 300 hp normally aspirated. And there are a bunch of turbo options. Twin-turbo M30's can easily top 300 hp with stock internals.

However, very few people in the BMW community bother with "power mods." They are simply WAY to expensive to be worth the trouble. It's not like a Honda or Ford engine where a couple of grand buys you more power than you know what to do with. BMW's really shine when it comes to handling. They are lightning quick in the corners. Most of our members choose to spend their "mod money" on suspension bits. With an E30, for example, a couple of grand will buy you a complete set of Gruppe N springs, custom-valved Gruppe N Bilstein dampers, camber plates, swaybars, and bushings. That will make your BMW fly.

I'll add up the 'Stang, too. Forgot about that one. I don't find the looks of the ones in my budget too attractive and never had a good experience with Ford but it might be worth a shot.. Thanks!
You can make Mustangs handle if you spend your money in the right places. They already have more than enough power and torque, but it doesn't take much to unlock even more.

Emre

-budget to 5K$.

The only thing that really came to my mind was the classical teg with an engine swap but it's not quite to my taste..

Preferences (not a must for all but would be nice..):
-Manual
-RWD
-Ok handling
you could upgrade this easely
-Somewhat comfy
-Reliable
-Power...

Now in a certain order, I'd rather get decent power and reliability than fuel economy.
I like low-revving engines.. something that packs around 2K rpm. I don't want to have to wait to 5K for the engine to haul and have to rev so high all the time. :run:

Sounds like you need a Mustang 5.0
Could even put your hands on a newer 4.6L

You can find 93-94 LT1 powered 6 Sp Camaros for that price nowdays. It will run high 13s out of the box and can be made to handle pretty damn good.

That's a great idea, for someone living in Venezuela. But for any developped country, where folks bend over and take the gas pump up the ass each time they fill up, I'd recommed something a little more fuel efficient as a daily driver.

That's a great idea, for someone living in Venezuela. But for any developped country, where folks bend over and take the gas pump up the ass each time they fill up, I'd recommed something a little more fuel efficient as a daily driver.

It's not that bad on gas if you drive like a normal person. If you start flooring it around you'll burn gas at an alarming rate. The Camaro is perhaps one of the best project cars out there, if its a "project" car toss fuel mileage out the window.

Sorry man but you can't have a daily driver/project car.. it just doesnt work

Really? Dunno, all the 97+ and 04+ i drove felt very good in the curves, very balanced bewteen handing and comfort, at least much more than other american sedans i tried like a 300M or a Taurus(ok, this one has horrific handling).

I just find the car a very good overall balance between lots of things: it;s pretty roomy and spacious, it has good interior equipement(not much is missing comared to a much more expensive luxury car), it handles decently, it accelerates decently (mid-high 14's is pretty good), it gets decent gas milleage, easy and cheap to maintain, easy to mod, looks good (IMO of course), for the price it's fairly new. I just find it does pretty much everything well without necessarly exceeding in anything.

Really? Dunno, all the 97+ and 04+ i drove felt very good in the curves, very balanced bewteen handing and comfort, at least much more than other american sedans i tried like a 300M or a Taurus(ok, this one has horrific handling).

I just find the car a very good overall balance between lots of things: it;s pretty roomy and spacious, it has good interior equipement(not much is missing comared to a much more expensive luxury car), it handles decently, it accelerates decently (mid-high 14's is pretty good), it gets decent gas milleage, easy and cheap to maintain, easy to mod, looks good (IMO of course), for the price it's fairly new. I just find it does pretty much everything well without necessarly exceeding in anything.

Dude what where you smoking when you drove that boat in the corners? It feels like complete crap even in a straight line.. Not to mention people will keep saying "whats up with the rental car"

It's not that bad on gas if you drive like a normal person. If you start flooring it around you'll burn gas at an alarming rate. The Camaro is perhaps one of the best project cars out there, if its a "project" car toss fuel mileage out the window.

Sorry man but you can't have a daily driver/project car.. it just doesnt work

Highway mileage isn't bad because at 60mph the motor actually revs at a lower than when it's shut off. But any form of driving that doesn't involve coasting and it drinks more than an irish dockworker.

I agree with your last statement.

Highway mileage isn't bad because at 60mph the motor actually revs at a lower than when it's shut off. But any form of driving that doesn't involve coasting and it drinks more than an irish dockworker.

I agree with your last statement.

Meh I'd still get that. Gas prices really don't concern me when it comes to my cars. The thread starter said what he wanted and the Camaro fits all of the above.

Dude what where you smoking when you drove that boat in the corners? It feels like complete crap even in a straight line.. Not to mention people will keep saying "whats up with the rental car"

honnestly...nothing.....i think :D

but seriously i really found it has sharp handling compared to many cars in its class. Even a regular non-gtp GP that i tossed around backroads around Tremblant last year felt pretty good.

honnestly...nothing.....i think :D

but seriously i really found it has sharp handling compared to many cars in its class. Even a regular non-gtp GP.

Its better then a Camry thats for sure.. The Fusion is pretty good at going around a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back