2013 Calabogie Gentleman's GT Race Series

Fun night again, had a great battle with Shawn. hope we put on a good show for you guys.
I think I heard 26 cars had entered, huge field for short track so we knew there would be a lot of traffic. Shawn and I qualified in the low 17s, with him getting the pole. They inverted the start order at the top, which had me starting 2nd and shawn starting 5th.

944710_10152789653530646_143990780_n.jpg

946313_10152789653320646_1355709982_n.jpg

931228_10152789654080646_1663371767_n.jpg

Once we got going I knew my only advantage was to pull out as much distance as I could on Shawn as he had to spend some time in traffic.

By the time he was in second I was about a front stretch ahead. But I could see he was reeling me in. As I found the first lapped car he was right behind me.

Let him go and was able to keep pace with him because now we were into heavy traffic. stayed like that most of the race too. At one point he let me take the point, but that didn't last too long.

I used a new GPS lap timer, Aim Solo, and it was nuts how fast we were pacing. In clean air we were low 1:18s every lap. dammmn. why can't shawn slow down for a few laps! lol.

my advantage was HP, almost felt like bump drafting him down the front straight a couple times ( nascar fan ) It felt like I could brake deeper into 10 than him.. felt like.

Then I ran out of talent. carried too much speed into 10, car rotated, clutched in and I slide off the course. all the dirt and sand flying into the car blocked out the sun! once the dust settled I was still pointed the right way and I took off, sand n dirt in my face. car felt fine, started pushing again. Eventually caught back up to shawn as he was behind a long train of cars.

But then someone had an off and was parked in a bad spot so they had to full course caution, it was already 7 oclock so race was over. too bad, I knew I couldn't pass shawn, but I was already planning the photo finish for the checkered flag.

afterwords I went to see shawn, was explaining my awesome spin in the dirt.. and he says yah, your face is covered in it.. lol.

944450_10152789624550646_1434892644_n.jpg

This was an amusing way to end a long day in the sun.

At noon, I decide to drive our new Chump car in this "race". It has 102whp and only is quick in corners. I am not sure what times it ran but when I lined up after qualifying at the back of the grid- I was surprised to see that I was directed forward near the front of the grid....really???
I think I started 10th ish out of 27 or so. Not but for Chimpy Chump.
On the start I got a run- yeah right! but with no passing allowed, I had to back off.
On the second lap I passed an Evo - really!!
Later, things settled and I pointed a Merkur by- well yeah- on Hoosiers and 350whp... I could not hold him off on the straights.
Well that was a mistake as he drove steadily slow in all corners and didnt not once point me by despite all over him for 10+ laps...

So much for flaggers and blue flags and point by of faster cars......

I guess for those that are not ready to really race, this can be mildly more amusing than lapping.... but you need big HP to make a pass- something that I am soooooo against.

This was an amusing way to end a long day in the sun.

At noon, I decide to drive our new Chump car in this "race". It has 102whp and only is quick in corners. I am not sure what times it ran but when I lined up after qualifying at the back of the grid- I was surprised to see that I was directed forward near the front of the grid....really???
I think I started 10th ish out of 27 or so. Not but for Chimpy Chump.
On the start I got a run- yeah right! but with no passing allowed, I had to back off.
On the second lap I passed an Evo - really!!
Later, things settled and I pointed a Merkur by- well yeah- on Hoosiers and 350whp... I could not hold him off on the straights.
Well that was a mistake as he drove steadily slow in all corners and didnt not once point me by despite all over him for 10+ laps...

So much for flaggers and blue flags and point by of faster cars......

I guess for those that are not ready to really race, this can be mildly more amusing than lapping.... but you need big HP to make a pass- something that I am soooooo against.

I can only say as the first event of the year, a lot of things didn't go as planned. I've been told the flagging and passing concerns will be corrected for tomorrow. Really wish you guys had as much fun as Shawn and I did.

Back