Alternators

Status
Not open for further replies.

honda93

Legacy Member
Here's something you can be sure that hasn't been posted yet. Why do Alternator's go bad and how? Where's the best place to get a good one? What is the going cost for this major piece of hard ware? Sure it's come to alot of our attentions on who to trust with your cars so this is why I'm asking.

honda93 said:
Here's something you can be sure that hasn't been posted yet. Why do Alternator's go bad and how? Where's the best place to get a good one? What is the going cost for this major piece of hard ware? Sure it's come to alot of our attentions on who to trust with your cars so this is why I'm asking.

Well there's 3 general causes for alternator failure.

The most common is a diode blowing causing the alternators rectifier to fail and allowing A/C electricity into your electrical system.

Second most common is a bearing wearing/burning out.

Least common is overloading the alternator and melting the insulation off the wires and shorting iself out.

Even though it looks like bare copper wire inside an alternator it's not..there's a laquer coating which insulates the wire.

Price wise.. Call montreal generator it's a company located in Chateauguay, They rebuilt my alternator for more power..and repair and rebuild them normally for very reasonable prices..

dsl mais je vais répondre en français.

souvent aussi t'a deux petite brosse au milieux de ton alternateur, deux petite brosse de métal (enfin deux tit bloc en réalité mais il serve de brosse pour le contact). Souvent elle sont trop usée tout simplement, moi j'ai sauver 2 alternateur de même j'allais les pické dans les cour à scrap, mon frère à sauver 200$ grave à ca cet été.

Ok so if an alternator is going and you bring it from Cold to hot Like a garage for instance it would cause a rapide surge in power Shorting it self out? I'm asking this because it seams as if Mine is going

honda93 said:
Ok so if an alternator is going and you bring it from Cold to hot Like a garage for instance it would cause a rapide surge in power Shorting it self out? I'm asking this because it seams as if Mine is going

No.. if it overheats and burns out it won't work ever again..

It's most likely that you have a blown diode in your rectifier

another thing going could be th voltage regulator. I had a few of them go one my volks and by just removing two screws and to replace it solve my charging problems.

scirocco16valve said:
another thing going could be th voltage regulator. I had a few of them go one my volks and by just removing two screws and to replace it solve my charging problems.

ok on a civic where can this Voltage regulator be found? I'm not a motor guy but put me behind a wheel I know what to do with it.

mohawkboom said:
No.. if it overheats and burns out it won't work ever again..

It's most likely that you have a blown diode in your rectifier

where can this Blown Diode be found and I'll change that shit too. Is this found as a boot on top of the alternator? So far I have cleaned the Batt connections and checked the wireing and no cuts or burns. Strap is good too it's not shinny or slipping or cracked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back