flush automatic transmission fluid?

lioxx

Hi ,

I wanted to hear your advice if the automatic transmission fluid should be remplaced when... the car has 200 000km and never had any service done on the tranny fluid ?

I was going to flush and remplace the transmission filter but I read alot of bad story when doing this.

Can anybody give their feedbacks ? only for AUTOMATIC transmission.

FR: Quelqun peut me dire si remplace le filtre et l'huile de transmission automatic est recommande a 200 000km + sur nos bmw ?

E53 3.0i

For that particular car I don't have any experience, but in general it's not a good idea to flush a transmission if it's never been done, especially after 200k kms.

There's nothing wrong, however, with changing the fluid and filter.

It usually is a bad idea to change the tranny fluid at that high mileage. It's like switching from dino to synthetic on a car a 200 000 km...

While what you guys are saying is true, do not generalize. No matter the mileage, the car could have seen mostly highway during its life and the tranny oil will not be that worn at all.

It requires inspection before you make a choice on what to do. If your oil is brown and smells of tranny oil (sweetish), go ahead with the flush. If its black and smells burnt, do not do the flush.

The reason the flush is dangerous for dirty oils in the trans is because any new oil washes out all the deposits out of all trans corners, which in turn can damage the torque converters/bearings.

If your oil is really dirty, your best bet is to drop the pan, change the filter, wash it as much as you can from below. That'll minimize the risk of subsequent damage.

I always wonder if it’s just the mechanics who wants to do more than required $$ when comes to this maintenance. Last time I verified; it was still reddish and didn’t smell burnt but I still wonder since the past owner did not report servicing the tranny.

thx for all advice btw!

I have had nothing but sucess changing tranny oil on the few automatics I have had.

Even "lifetime" BMW atf.

I would use only factory oil though.

Back