Hanjin Shipping bankruptcy - Possible prices increases

There is plenty of capacity on other carriers.. Ocean going shipping isn't in the best of shape now. The Hanjin ships will get new paint jobs and the older ones will be scrapped.

Sure, there's plenty of boats....

But you've missed the point...

One major player out will drive the prices higher therefore it will have impact on all imported goods prices, specially if they had good rates

Sure, there's plenty of boats....

But you've missed the point...

One major player out will drive the prices higher therefore it will have impact on all imported goods prices, specially if they had good rates

No prices won't go up because every other line is operating at reduced loads and everyone is trying to undercut everyone else. The real thing that will drive freight prices up is if scrap steel shoots up in price suddenly and lines start scrapping older ships thus you have less capacity or if bunker shoots up in price. If that happens Alang Beach will be slammed with ships being scrapped.

Bankruptcy also doesn't mean you shut down operations from day 1. As greg said, container and dry bulk shipping rates are depressed because of a structural imbalance in trade.

No prices won't go up because every other line is operating at reduced loads and everyone is trying to undercut everyone else. The real thing that will drive freight prices up is if scrap steel shoots up in price suddenly and lines start scrapping older ships thus you have less capacity or if bunker shoots up in price. If that happens Alang Beach will be slammed with ships being scrapped.

Don't even think reduced capacity is a concerned, aren't there a bunch of higher capacity/more efficient ships hitting the waters soon? International trade is in the gutter and with everyone talking about protectionist trade measures it doesn't look like it'll be picking up soon.

Don't even think reduced capacity is a concerned, aren't there a bunch of higher capacity/more efficient ships hitting the waters soon? International trade is in the gutter and with everyone talking about protectionist trade measures it doesn't look like it'll be picking up soon.

10 years ago those shops made sense, now there is wayyy too much capacity for the demand. So you have a giant ship sailing thats not full, these ships only make money when full. I wouldn't be shocked to see if scrap metal prices were to start going out some of the megaships starting to be scrapped. You have all these 18000-19000 TEU ships sailing with no cargo and massive operating costs.

BTW: Container shipping costs nothing on established route.

I swear I learn more from off topic than reading the news lol. I thought the departure of a major player meant other companies capitalizing on their share of the market. Hence prices would stay the same.

I swear I learn more from off topic than reading the news lol. I thought the departure of a major player meant other companies capitalizing on their share of the market. Hence prices would stay the same.

The media fear mongering is hilarious. For the most part everything with shipping is paid on the spot or in advance. Seizing a ships happens often, captains actually carry cash on the hand it's called "cash to master" for matters that might pop up. Now if those ships dock in areas where there are court orders to hold the ship for payment from a company Haijin owes money to it gets sticky... The ship will sit docked racking up docking fees, then if the debt isn't paid they'll auction it off. Scrap metal firms love bidding on these

Greg looks like you know that industry.

I hope you're right, because we definitely don't need any other spikes in transport industry

Ok guys, faites une liste d'affaires a acheter au plus crisse avant que les prix augmentent. Je veux pas me faire pogner les culottes baissées.

I know someone that owns a shipping line.... they are family

Tu fais des prix famille pour importer des chars?

Ok guys, faites une liste d'affaires a acheter au plus crisse avant que les prix augmentent. Je veux pas me faire pogner les culottes baissées.

Les changements d'aujourd'hui (pétrole, shipping, taux de change) affectent les prix seulement semestre suivant d'après moi, dans bien des cas. Et la vente au détail de biens de consommation est un domaine compétitif et ils s'arragent pour garder les prix stables. Les lois d'économie et de willingness to pay surpassent les coûts réels des opérations day to day selon moi.

Tu fais des prix famille pour importer des chars?

Les changements d'aujourd'hui (pétrole, shipping, taux de change) affectent les prix seulement semestre suivant d'après moi, dans bien des cas. Et la vente au détail de biens de consommation est un domaine compétitif et ils s'arragent pour garder les prix stables. Les lois d'économie et de willingness to pay surpassent les coûts réels des opérations day to day selon moi.

Ha they mostly RO-RO and general Bulk

Container pricing doesn't really change with size, Container from Rotterdam, Bremmerhaven or Antwerp isn't expensive, lots of capacity on the North Atlantic run. Might as well bring 2 cars at once and ship direct to Montreal... Not this Halifax then drive to Montreal non-sense. RO-RO is pricey depending on route, loading RO-RO costs more as you need to pay someone to drive the car on/off among items, strap the car down etc. It could be cheaper on a direct run though...

I'm pretty sure there is some dough to be made if you are used to shipping industry and Europe. Fill a container, sell them on MR, keep one for free, profit.

I'm pretty sure there is some dough to be made if you are used to shipping industry and Europe. Fill a container, sell them on MR, keep one for free, profit.

For the most part people on MR are cheap :) Besides the "cool" cars in Europe still command high price tags.

J'aurais pensé tout ce qui vient de la Coree.....car la compagnie est de la bas..

donc,
electronics: Samsung, LG, et family,
cars: Hyundai-Kia

ant others

J'aurais pensé tout ce qui vient de la Coree.....car la compagnie est de la bas..

donc,
electronics: Samsung, LG, et family,
cars: Hyundai-Kia

ant others

EUKOR and Hyundai GLOVIS does the RO-RO shipping for Kia, Hyundai and GM from Korea. Wallenius Wilhelmsen and NYK are other RORO players

Back