Inspecting 25+ year old car with newer engine.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What do I need to have in place for a mk1 with a mk4 engine swap. I already went through the SAAQ inspection guide but I need more specific info. Since I'm swapping in a 1.8T AWP, custom engine mounts had to be done, how rough are they on that? Do I need a lower stress bar since there's no subframe on the car? What else am I missing?

Thanks for any info!

Last edited:
I would not run a MK1 without a lower and upper stress bar. if you're going for more than stock, i would look into the eurosport 4 point lower bar. These things like to rip apart at the control arm mounts.

As far as a swap with new mounts, stay away from any CAA type place.

^^ what he said, the CAA place off Sources and the 20(next to Ultramar) is one of the worst when it comes to inspections. They wanted us to add red and orange reflectors on an E34 M5 imported from Germany. The car was mint but they decided to fail the car because no side markers/reflectors... But yet the car had the exact same components as the NA model. The guy simply said here in Quebec they have the reflectors...

So then which centers slack the most? Who is bribable? I'm trying to avoid having to swap the original engine back in just to pass inspection.

I did my inspection on my track-mk2 in st-jean and passed no problem, car had empty bumpers, no roof frame and lots of illegal structural stuff.

They wont say anything about the engine swap, but you need renforcement for your own safety even if inspection does not require it.

The x-brace PsychoBandito was talking about is a good start, but you need to reinforce the front-front end too, underneath the bumper mounts, that's their second weakspot.
Sciroccos used to split from there too :)

Good luck.

Back